Copaxone, thigh welt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copaxone, thigh welt

I´m just going into week three of copaxone. I injected into my thigh and got an immediate welt and blood. I feel like the diagram in the book is telling me to use the part of my thigh that does NOT have the most fat and that would explain the blood. Any suggestions? The thigh and stomach shots hurt like the dickens.

I've been on Copaxone for 3 months now and the site reactions are common for me. I've always had large red welts that itch. Recommendations: Benedryl both topical and oral, take the shots post shower when your skin is soft, only ice for a minute afterwards because longer can make it slower for the medicine to disperse. Take your shots at the same time each day. Manual inject at a slower rate reduces site reactions as opposed to taking it auto inject. Also, my site reactions were horrible for the first month after that my body started to adjust to the medication. I had a rather scary episode last night but that was in another post. I hope some of these suggestions help...mostly it takes time.
    Hope for the best, prepare for the worst and that way you have all your bases covered.

Comment

I get the red welps and also some blood and I have been on Copaxone since August of 2007. I use the auto inject. I just can't stand to self inject myself My welps usually go away within a day or so but leave a red spot where the injection was. That lasts for 2 or more days.
      Dx with RRMS :April 2007
      Meds: Copaxone

Comment

Sometimes you bleed. It happens.

j
        Diagnosed with MS spring 2010; Still loving life

Comment

Hi Temagami,

I was on Copaxone for 3 years. The opinion was that the shots hurt the least where there's the most fat, and that is why so many people find the arm sites painful. We don't often have as much fat on our arms.

justacowgirl is right. Sometimes there's blood, for no particular reason. If you're using the autoject, you might want to try changing the setting.

I found injecting manually to be ever so much easier. I wound up returning to the autoject for the arms though. It was too hard to give myself the injections in my arms. Maybe I wasn't aiming the syringe right.

Week 3 of Copaxone isn't so long. It takes 3-4 months for the site reactions to start calming down, but they actually do become less of a problem for most people.

I used to use a warmed up gelpack for a few minutes before the shot, and a cold gelpack for a few minutes after it. I used extra-strength Benadryl cream over the injection area after the cold gelpack.

Eventually I gave up on the cold gelpack but stayed with the Benadryl. You have to play around and find a system that works best for you.
          MEMBER OF MS WORLD SINCE 4/03.

SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/4/07-5/15/10. Glatiramer acetate 40 mg (= Copaxone) 2021- 3/16/24

Comment

To me, these diagrams are a guide. Shared Solutions didn't do a real good job considering injection sites, IMO.

I've broken the rules and injected in less muscular areas on my legs without problems.

I've even injected manually on my outer, side thigh.
            Learning areas that work for you is a process.

My DR told me to stop injecting in areas that hurt too much, so I have.
            I've found other areas that work for me. Now, I don't dread those difficult days or avoid them due to fear of pain.
            I'm sure you can too, if you wish.

Comment

I have muscular thighs, and can use only the top of the thigh to the inside of it--certainly nothing towards the outside. I have to sit and extend my leg to get enough give. You'll probably have to experiment to see where on the thigh works best for you.

The blood and welts happen sometimes; it's just one of those things. Stomach shots definitely hurt the worst, I hear you there!

Comment

I have had thigh welts too. Sometimes blood. It does happen. I have been on copaxone now for 6 months. Still feel like a newbie lol. I also have muscular thighs, and finding a spot can be challenging.

I do like to self inject on my thighs, i do find it is easier on them. You will get to know your body, over time, which is what I have found. When I was back to my neuro recently, no new symtoms etc. so it must be working, which keeps me going!

Comment

my reactions didn't ease off...

I'm beginning to wonder if my body just hates injection medications. My site reactions just kept getting worse, both on Copaxone and Rebif. I lasted on C for 4 months, and on Rebif for 9 months....I would welt and bleed (worse if I applied ice, oddly enough) with every shot. By the time I called it quits on both of them, I'd bruise at the injection site, and each bruise would last a month or so.

Crossing my fingers, I had my first Avonex shot Friday, and it was painless!!!!!!!!!!!!! And, no bruise. Happy dance! I did get a nasty migraine about 4 hours after, but that I think was my fault. I only took a minimal dose of ibuprofin (I learned w/ Rebif that I had to pretreat w/ 800 mg OR ELSE)...plus I went for a serious walk w/ a friend in 104 degree sunny weather, because it didn't feel too hot at all. But I did take a drink w/ me! I didn't want to get stiff and sore. I got stiff and sore and sick everywhere for my trouble. Sigh.
                  D&C 121:7-8 ...peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment

Comment

It takes months and months, and months for the body to adjust to Copaxone. Give it a year or even longer.

MRI results after a year might help you.
                    I bleed once and a while with the shots.
                    It's nothing alarming.

Comment

Yes, it takes a long time!

I agree with Twisterred. I have been injecting Copaxone for two years and cried the entire first year. My thighs and arms are hardest and only recently became manageable. That said, last week, my left thigh was brutal, but my right was a non-event. Hang in there...you'll get through it! Don't give up!

Comment

Don't like the thighs

I am not particularly muscular, but have large thighs. I have been on copaxone for 6 years. I still get welts on my thighs about 1/2 the time no matter what. I have a bleeding disorder (lack a clotting factor) and bleed occasionally, but not that often. I do not use the auto-injector because I like to have the control. I do think injecting more slowly does make somewhat of a difference, and making sure the shot is at room temperature definitely makes a difference. Back when you had to keep the med cold up until a short time before injecting that was a real issue. I also agree that stomach is awful...had two kids and have bad stretch marks. I basically have to jab at my stomach. lots of fun I can't tell you for sure if it is working, but my MRI's are staying pretty much the same. My symptoms? Well, can't say quite the same thing. I'll keep using it until they come out with a pill with less side affects than the ones out so far (my 5 year old says he's working on a cure, God bless him!) There are some new oral meds that are looking promising in the near future. I wish all of you using copaxone the best. For now, I think it is worth trying and toughing it out for a while! Do what you feel you need to do! Talk to your doctor and discuss your issues! Best of luck to everyone! Weigh the pros and cons of all of your options! Ang

Comment

Working...
                        X