Dry, flaky skin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry, flaky skin

I'm currently taking Tysabri and Ampyra, and have experienced dry, flaky skin on my face and scalp. Has anyone else experienced this side-effect with either med? I'm 57 year old man with PPMS since 2002.

Flaky in the Midwest

Hey 59 almost 60 yr guy old with MS. Never on ty or amp but have had flaky skin with all my meds. Never had a label on my disease but suspect PPMS as it has been getting slowly worse. Common for people our age.

Was a social worker in Neuro in hospital with MS patients for years and years before my dx. As the disease makes it way through the body you become increasingly allergic to things! Back in the day when we only had steroids it was not uncommon to see people litterally become allergic to themselves. Lots of younger neuros have never seen this happen. DONT' WORRY THOUGH. Talk to your docs or nurse about how you can deal with this. I changed my diet and it went away. See web sites affiliated with
    overcomingmultiplesclerosis. I started following what they suggest on my own before I discovered them. It really slowed down the disease, it's not a cure but am doing better than those dxd at the same time. I am almost certain that you are ingesting something that you are allergic to. It could be the meds too but start with simpler stuff first. I found it was wheat. You probably do not know that wheat is in shampoo and soaps etc. Just saying this because it is important to find what it is that your body becomes more sensistive to as you have the disease longer and longer. Get away from smokers get a few minutes of direct sunlight daily helps a lot. Chlorine in swimming pools makes it worse for me too. Try different soaps and shampoos. Dove with NO additives or perfumes helps me. Avoid sudden temperature and humidity changes as any over stimulation of skin will lead to it flaking more.

Started on Gilenya recently and my skin is flaking more again. Sure it is related to the drug but watching my diet more carefully has helped slow the MS down.

Comment

Seborrheic dermatitis

It is not unusual for MS to interfere skin health. I was diagnosed with seborrheic dermatitis several years ago and while it cannot be cured there are shampoos/lotions/creams that can keep it under control.

You should see a dermatologist who will diagnose it and prescribe appropriately.

Comment

Working...
      X