5th Week Ampyra Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5th Week Ampyra Update

I've been on Ampyra about 5 weeks and thought I should give an update. I don't see the Neurologist until July 18th, but I don't need him to tell me I've improved with this medication.

The only negative side effect I've experienced is some mild insomnia (waking up at 2AM and can't go back to sleep). But insomnia is a fair trade-off to be able to walk better! My greatest side effect fear was UTI's because I struggle with urinary retention anyway, but no UTI's so far.

My walking speed is much improved. My gait is better. My balance is better. I can even wash my hair in the shower without having to place an elbow on the shower wall to keep my balance with my eyes shut. I have more energy at the end of the day after work. Because I have more energy, I have more patience with my family. It seems like the benefits build upon each other.

I know Ampyra doesn't work for everyone, but I am very thankful everyday that it is helping me. I have an overall feeling of well-being that I didn't have before I tried Ampyra.

Good for you. I am glad Ampyra is working well for you. I have been waiting for my shipment for months. I was losing patience.I really didn't want to take it because it was new. But reading your update and some other positive reports makes me feel a little better about starting it. Thanks for the update.

Take good care!
    "Irrespective of what happened yesterday or last year, and what may or may not happen tomorrow, the present moment is where you are-always!"
    Richard Carlson, PH.D.

Comment

Good for you.

I have been trying to get it for 5 weeks.
      Ok'd by my Neuro, and Walgreens is ready to send it, but My insurance needs one more form filled out by my Neuro.

He has had the form for 10 days now, and if it hasn't been completed and sent to the insurance company by Friday, I am going to call and remind them that they can all walk, and please do not delay my only hope to get some help.

They are usually pretty good to deal with, but quit dragging your feet with this stuff!

Comment

I'm about where you are...in my 7th week. I have PPMS and the timed walk had to be done with a 4 wheel walker.

It gave me the little extra boost I needed to start exercising after over 18 months of total inactivity. I had similar feelings, that it helped in several different small ways...that each small improvement kind of built on itself.

I hope to experience more of a "build up" regarding improvement in symptoms. I have sporadic and short bursts where I see amazing improvement...walking around the house to the amazement of my family...I love to show that off.

Keep believing and working hard on other areas that are within our control. I hope you continue to see great benefits. IMO Ampyra has been the best thing to come along for MS that I've seen or heard of.

Comment

Going for me EEG next week to se if I can start on Ampyra. I am very excited. Being albe to walk better would certanly improve my attitude, and like you I hope the litle things start adding up.

JudySz

Comment

Cool

Got the call today that they were sending me my Ampyra.
            I'll see how this goes for a month or two.

Comment

That is Excellent!

I have been on Ampyra for just over a year and trying to recall what had improved in my five weeks.
              My walking, gait, and balance did improve a little compared to what it is now.
              It still continues improving, my walk is normal 95% of the time, but I’m still heat sensitive and that makes it go bad.

It was in my second month when my brain fog lifted, and decided to fix my diet.
              I highly recommend everyone create their own diet, starting with going Anti-inflammatory.
              NutritionData.com helped me a lot.

I did not have insomnia, but from what I hear that should fade once your body fully adjusts.

For your UTI fear I recommend you do a web search for “UTI diet” and you will find some simple things to add to your diet to reduce the chances of having a UTI.
              Like drinking Cranberry juice.

I wish Ampyra did work for everyone, but sadly the effects on MSers seem as random as what symptoms each of us get.
              I enjoy hearing when it does work; good news always puts a smile on my face. No matter whose good news it is.
              Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Comment

Working...
              X