Zanaflex for leg / arm spasticity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zanaflex for leg / arm spasticity

Not into medication, but this spasticity is getting tough..... have no pain but leg straightens out like a board! Don't know whether meds or increasing exercise is the way to go.......or both. Any thoughts??

I take Zanaflex for muscle spasms. I think mine is 2 (4 mg) tablets at bedtime. It does help me alot. I can tell a difference when I don't have it. I don't like alot of medications either but I have come to the conclusion that I am stuck taking them lol!
    Dx with RRMS :April 2007
    Meds: Copaxone

Comment

I take flexeril at night, seems to help keep my legs from tightness during sleep. I also stretch daily and get a massage every two weeks, which is covered by insurance.

I have tight muscles up in my shoulder area too, often use a TENS unit there.

Comment

Thanx for responses..... will start zana as soon as it comes in the mail... 3-5 days. He is starting at 1 2mg tab at night as I am so sensitive to meds......think it will making walking and exercising easier!

Comment

I used to take zanaflex for the spasticity in my legs - the 2 mg at night did help more than oral baclofen did (everyones different of course).

After time the spasticity became more severe and I had the baclofen pump implanted almost 6 months ago which has helped a lot.

Justsayyes,
          I am looking to start massage therapy - and work full time from home. Is there anything special you suggest to have covered through insurance ? Sense is it will be covered from my docs prescription. Has it helped ?

Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by bluegiraffe View Post
            I used to take zanaflex for the spasticity in my legs - the 2 mg at night did help more than oral baclofen did (everyones different of course).

After time the spasticity became more severe and I had the baclofen pump implanted almost 6 months ago which has helped a lot.

Justsayyes,
            I am looking to start massage therapy - and work full time from home. Is there anything special you suggest to have covered through insurance ? Sense is it will be covered from my docs prescription. Has it helped ?

Thanks,
            Massage falls under physical therapy for insurance purposes, and my plan covers 20 visits a year (Anthem). I get massages at a place with a chiropractor, he's the doc who orders the massage and because of his connection it is covered.

I have to be careful to not use it all up in case I really do need physical therapy for an injury. PT treatments are very expensive. If I need PT, I will pay outright for the massages and let the insurance cover the PT visits.

Check with your insurance to be sure about your coverage.

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Yes; my insurance (aetna) covers around 120 PT home visits per calendar year. I do think massage therapy is covered under PT and the home visits needs to be specified by my doctor. Have had it covered for PT and OT with no problem - just need to make sure medical massage is covered as part of PT.

Comment

Zanaflex

I was surprised how I felt on Zanaflex.

I have the baclofen pump but still take extra neurontin at bedrime. I was taking Keppra but was having trouble with night time spasms.

My neuro changed my rx to Zanaflex.
                It really knocked me on my butt! I had to be really careful if I needed to walk anywhere or get up at night.

It completed wonked my balance and vision.

So be careful when you first start so you don't fall. I thought I would get used to it but didn't.

I did sleep for longer periods of time. But I my legs were painful in the morning- like I had just slept through the spasms.

I decided it was better for me to wake up and try to work out the spasms when the come.

Good Luck!

Comment

Zanaflex made me extremely sleepy. I slept through most of the summer of 2006 because of it. Even the time-released capsule which are supposed to be less sedating make me sleep.

I've been taking baclofen for spasticity off and on for years. I started with 10 mg and at one point was up to 80 mg, but I went off of it last winter. I had to start taking it again when I had a new flare up of symptoms in March. It works really well for me and doesn't make me sleepy.

If you do try Zanaflex and have problems with drowsiness, you might try baclofen.

Hugs,

Lisa
                  Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
                  Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
                  Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

Originally posted by Justsayyes View Post
                    I take flexeril at night, seems to help keep my legs from tightness during sleep. I also stretch daily and get a massage every two weeks, which is covered by insurance.

I have tight muscles up in my shoulder area too, often use a TENS unit there.
                    I have Flexeril as well. So it helps with your tight leg? I have tightness in my leg and neck/shoulders. I would like to hear from you. my email address is listed.

I am at a loss as to what to do about my leg tightness and tension in my neck/shoulers - spasms..

I take small dose Ativan but that works just a wee bit.. not a lot. If I take small dose ativan in the morning, is it ok to take Flexeril at night??

Ms. Jay

Comment

next chapter

Ok, zanaflex made me too sleepy......I work 40 hrs / wk so it would not work.......so now trying baclofen........... am taking 10mg in am, 15 mg in afternoon and 10 at night......we'll see.......... seems to be helping some...cannot have a perfect pill, but am so happy with this one........at least I can go to PT and exercise and benefit more from both now!

Comment

Working...
                      X