Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it gabapentin or heat that is making me so exhausted?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it gabapentin or heat that is making me so exhausted?

I have read through some of the threads on gabapentin and didn't see much discussion about exhaustion as a side effect. I may have not realized I was reading it though, I have been really spacy lately. I was Dxed on the 17th and started gabapentin right away.

The Dr said to take on pill for two days, 2 pills for 2 days, 3 pills for 2 days, and finally 4 a day. The pills are 300 mg.

I noticed right away that it stopped the burning for about 5 hours and then it came back so I was hopeful that as I increased my dosage it would finally find some relief. It seems to get rid of the irritating burning patches of skin.

I am still experiencing some thin strips of pain that are more sharp and throbbing than the burning patches. It feels like strips about the width of a pencil and a few inches long, they generally last for about an hour. I had them before but hadn't really noticed them as much because they were not as constant as the burning skin.

I have been very exhausted this last week and more spacy. I am not sure if it is because of the gabapentin or the heat.
    I seem to only be able to stay away for 4-5 hours at a time and sleep for about the same. I am more alert at night when it cools down, so I thought it might be more heat related.

Here in Washington state we had a small heat wave a few weeks ago and I was more exhausted that normal then but not as bad as it is this time. Maybe it is a combination of both?

While talking to my husband about symptoms I may not have noticed he said that since I have been on the gabapentin I startle awake whenever something or someone wakes me up. Has anyone else experienced this?

Several times I have actually jumped out of bed. Maybe that is a good thing since it has been a long time since I have been able to move very quickly. At least I know I still can.

It could be a combination of both, but for a while, as you are getting used to the gabapentin, you will be very fatigued - that's why they up the dose slowly - so you aren't as zombified. Any of the anti-convulsant meds would do that to you - gabapentin, topomax, etc., but I think the only anti-convulsants used are gabapentin and topomax.
    Diagnosis: May, 2008
    Avonex, Copaxone, Tysabri starting 8/17/11

Comment

gabapentin and heat exhaustion

i have been on gabapentin for 12 years now, and have never been this tired and wrung out as i have been this summer. i limit my time in the heat, doing small things like watering the flowers, but when i come in the house and into a/c i am wiped out.

i do take numerous medications as well as the gabapentin, but i do notice the exhaustion more within the 2-4 hours after taking it. i have found the only thing i can do is nap constantly.

it doesnt make life easier, but at least when i get up i have a small window of time to get few necessities done. i know this may not help you, but at least you will know you are not alone.

Comment

Probably a bit of both. Someone on this message board used the word "loopy" to describe how Gabapentin made her/him feel. It's a great description. If its making you tired, this will most likely dissipate as your body gets used to it. Good luck and hope you start feeling better soon.
        Jen
        RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
        "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

I was on 3 twice a day and it was definitely making the fatigue worse. I did nothing but sleep for the first month, but the nerve pain never went away, and the fatigue was so bad I was sleeping all day, so I tirated off. I did notice that the fatigue went away a little bit after leveling off and getting used to the dose. I hope this evens out for you!

Comment

Working...
          X