Solumedrol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solumedrol

Hey guys...Just finished solumedrol IV for 3 days. I have had numbness in my face and cannot hear out of my right ear I was just wondering from those of you that had had the steroid treatments in the past, how long did it take for them to kick in and work? I finished my last treatment last Thursday...I really thought I would see alot of improvement by now. Thanks!
    Dx with RRMS :April 2007
    Meds: Copaxone

I can't remember exactly, but it I want to say it was at least a good week before I really noticed improvements and it was at least a month before most of my physical symptoms were markedly better. I have no idea if this is good or bad though. I do know that I probably was my own worst enemy before, during, and after my treatment though. I let the flare go way too long before going to the doctor and I pushed myself too much physically after it started. I was afraid to take some much needed time off from work, I didn't want my employer to see my MS as something that would stop me from doing my job and look for a reason to let me go. I pretty much did everything wrong.

Comment

Some symptoms went away very quickly, some took weeks or even longer.
      When I get an improvement over a month, I don't know if it's the med. or my body healing, but I still am happy.

My fingers are crossed for you!

Comment

Thank you for the replies! I think I can see a little bit of a difference in the numbness in my face. The ear is NO better Very aggravating! Still praying for the best!

Comment

I only had IV solumedrol once, and symptoms came and went over weeks, everything stabalized at about 8 weeks.

When I had profound hearing loss, my ENT prescribed 40 mg./day prednisone, which I took for 6 weeks. My hearing did return. He felt my hearing loss was MS related.

If you don't get any results in a week or so, I'd discuss further treatment. Hearing loss is awful, sorry you are experiencing it.

Comment

It's not unusual, for me, for the 5-day steroid treatment, and the taper (lately, I usually taper for 12 days) to be over, prior to me seeing results. But, the results always come, for me, at some point, if I wait it out.

~ Faith
            ~ Faith
            MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
            - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
            - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
            - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

This is the first time I have ever had the hearing loss or the facial numbness. Actually I didn't know that MS could affect your hearing! WOW! I have had this going on for probably 5 or 6 weeks now. I do have an appointment to see an ENT but its not until July 18th I think. I wonder if I should call my neurologist if my ear is not better in a week or so and ask about the oral steroids?? He did not give me any to taper me off after I did the IV treatments.

Comment

For me I eventually stopped taking Solumedrol because I came away with the impression that a flare-up is in the eye of the beholder. As a result, my neuro almost felt that I was constantly in a flare-up.

The other neuro in the same practice immediately stopped the Solumedrol when I became his patient. Now Solumedrol may very well have been so beneficial to lots of people but it didn't work for me.

I didn't see much or any improvement with it but for other folks Solumedrol is a lifesaver.

Comment

This is only my second time doing solumedrol. I have done the oral prednisone several times. I don't think my dr would have given it to me this time but I completly broke down in his office and said I was sick of being sick LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by babygirlamy View Post
                    This is the first time I have ever had the hearing loss or the facial numbness. Actually I didn't know that MS could affect your hearing! WOW! I have had this going on for probably 5 or 6 weeks now. I do have an appointment to see an ENT but its not until July 18th I think. I wonder if I should call my neurologist if my ear is not better in a week or so and ask about the oral steroids?? He did not give me any to taper me off after I did the IV treatments.
                    I would call and ask the neuro if you don't have improvement soon. Doesn't hurt to ask. I don't think my ENT would have prescribed prednisone unless I specifically asked for it. I had read that it can help and he was agreeable to try it. My hearing returned very slowly, but as long as it was improving, we continued the prednisone.

Having done the IV steroids, I think it will still be working for you for some time, just not sure how long it continues to work once the treatment is done. Good question to ask the neuro.

Comment

I may call this week and talk to my dr. It will be two weeks this week. My husband says that I am just being impatient lol! I just want to be able to hear Oh and thanks for your helpful posts! I appreciate that!

Comment

Working...
                      X