Betaseron and Panic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Betaseron and Panic?

I only started Betaseron on Monday, so I'm still on the lowest dose. Ever since then (at least I believe that's when it started) I will getting random panic "pangs." They only last for a few seconds, but I could have a bunch of them in a row. It seems like they come on a lot when I get one and then I start thinking about them because I've had one lol. It doesn't really affect me too much...it's just really weird feeling like something bad is about to happen every couple of minutes. I feel like a little kid who just got caught with her hand in the cookie jar

I don't know if it is from the Betaseron but I don't remember ever having them before I started. Has anyone else had this issue? I don't go back to my neuro until the end of August but I will definitely bring it up...kind of worried about it.
    Dx'd RRMS 5/27/11 · Started Betaseron 6/13/11

I'm not sure if Beta itself can cause panic attacks.

If I had to guess, its now sinking in that you really have a chronic disease and that you'll be sticking yourself every other day for the rest of your life.

Giving yourself the shot just makes it real and its no longer a concept.

..been there.

Look, you'll be amazed how quickly this all becomes normal. If anything, I usually warn people to start a routine for shots and stick to it. We're human and humans adapt quickly. The next thing we know, the shots are a hassle so we start cutting corners and maximizing our time by doing other chores while we're supposed to be concentrating on one thing. Its happened to more people than you think and its a quick way to waste a dose or wind up with a site reaction.
    Imagine doing your shot while eating a hoagie and chatting on-line. That's exactly what happened to "a good friend of mine" and I, uh I mean he, felt really dumb about it.
    Relax, you'll do fine. Before you know it you'll be replying to someone new and giving them some of your tips.

Comment

this will sound bossy

I hate people who are bossy to me..... so I will TRY to be tactful (hard for me)

Betaseron CAN DEFINITELY cause psychiatric symptoms. It is the main warning on all of thier paperwork they send. My neuro warned me to look out for depression, suicidal thoughts, and my PCP reitterated that and said any emotional symptoms needed to be addressed immediately. In fact, pcp wanted to start me on depression meds for prevention (turned it down, but am watching).

I suggest calling your betanurse, and your neuro, and let them know what you are experiencing- not waiting till August. If it keeps happening, either get meds or...well, there are other ms drug options, right? We don't need the panic caused by drugs, on top of unknown of MS.

Good Luck. Know we are here to help.
      You are in the driver's seat, but God is holding the map

Comment

Interferon beta 1-a (Avonex)

Although I don't have direct experience with Betaseron, I have been self-injecting Avonex for 14 years and recall the extreme anxiety and agitation that I had when begining my therapy.

My first three months on Avonex were full of horrible flu-like side effects and not to mention the increase in anxiety. I was seeing a therapist who dx me with agitated depression. I started on Paxil (had to switch to Effexor due to weight gain later).

But, I also had an increase in anxiety and agitation. I hope this helps a bit.

Best Wishes!
        Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's learning to dance in the rain!

Comment

Betaseron brought it on and Zoloft took away the anxiety and depression for me. Sometimes a bit of an antidepressant is all that's required.

Comment

Thanks everyone. My Beta nurse is supposed to be calling in a few days to check up on me so I'll ask her about it. It really isn't a huge deal for me I just find it really odd. I've been pretty lucky and so far haven't had any other side effects except a little site reaction on both of my abdomen injection sites.

Comment

can be Beta

The anxiety can definetly be from the Betaseron. I took it for 4 years and stopped taking it last week due to thyroid problems. The anxiety started for me after 4 months on it (ended up in the hospital the first panic attack) and now I have a lot of different drugs in my cabinet because of it. I also researched many ways to manage anxiety, even EFT which does work a little bit. I am starting Copaxone next month and starting thyroid meds this week. I hope you can figure out a plan for your anxiety. AD's didn't work for me but they may work for you, everything is worth a try.

Comment

part of the side effects

I did have a 'suicidal episode' on Betaseron..not that I did anything, but all of a sudden a wave of extreme sadness came over me and I kept thinking there was no reason to live...As I was having these feelings, I was analyzing myself and I thought it was very interesting, to actually have these strong negative feelings (I was crying too) and know it was caused by the meds.

I only had it one time about 10 years ago..thank goodness
                Susan......... Beta Babe since 1994....I did improve "What you see depends on where you're standing" from American Prayer by Dave Stewart

Comment

I noticed once I started taking Copaxone, I will get little panic attacks now and then. I took Rebif for over a year and I never had an issue with anxiety. Is this kind of a common thing with the MS treatments?

Comment

I think it is wise that you will run this by your neuro and also the Beta nurse.

I have been on Betaseron since 2007. My near panic attacks were (and sometimes still are) related to my intense needle phobia; without the auto inject, I think I'd be up the infamous creek without a paddle.

Let us know how it goes for you!
                    'MM' = Marion with Espe, Trusty & in Loving Memory of Madeleine

* Another Beta Babe Since 2007 *

Comment

I found that my anxiety/panic attacks got worse and worse the longer I was on betaseron although I'll also say that it was also my favorite of the CRABS. I took three altogether. I was also on an anti-depressant already. I had lots of other problems though and they may have contributed to the panic. It's hard to self inflict torture on yourself and that's what it boiled to in the end.

I'd give it a bit of time though and see if the feelings go away or diminish or get worse or just what. I'm also happy to hear you're talking to a beta nurse. They're were always so nice, friendly and helpful.
                      What if trials of this life
                      Are Your mercies in disguise?
                      "Blessings; Laura Story"

Comment

I'd like to stay away from Anti depressants etc. as long as possible. If it gets worse I will definitely talk to the doc about it, but right now it's barely an issue. I hope it stays that way, or goes away completely. IF I do feel like I need the ADs, should I take it up with my neuro or my pcp?

Comment

That's what I thought too....wanted to stay away from anti depressants as long as possible... I kept telling myself I'm ok, I don't need them, I'm a strong person, this MS thing won't break me.

But one day it all bubbled to the surface and by then it was too late. So my PCP put me on cymbalta.

Once I started taking it I didn't realize how badly I had needed it and how good I started to feel.

I just switched from Copaxone to Beta last week, so I'm not sure what the Beta causes for sure because I am on the Cymbalta. However, my neuro and PCP both told me to watch for the increased anxiety with the Beta and that they could always up my Cymbalta dosage if needed.

*** Moderator's note - line spacing added for easier reading. Many members have difficulty reading large blocks of text.

Comment

Thanks. I talked to my Beta nurse and she said it was unusual. Said I should call my neurologist but, I'm stubborn and I still haven't done that. It's either not as noticeable anymore or I'm just faking myself out so I don't have to call. I already have social anxiety and telephones are my biggest fear.

The first night I upped to half a dose, I forgot to pre-medicate and ended up with the chills. I was freezing which is ridiculous because it's so hot. My husband had to warm me with his body heat til I could fall asleep. Then I woke up sweating as usual

Comment

My anxiety/panic whatever it is has NOT gone away. I had it really bad after upping to 3/4 dose so I called my neurologist right away. Didn't hear back from them but I felt better until I increased to the full dose this week. A nurse finally decided to call me back (2 weeks later!) to tell me the doctor was prescribing me Klonopin. So I guess tonight I will start that. This should help with my social anxiety as well so I'm really hoping that it works for me. The only thing I'm really concerned about is the warning about motor skills and memory issues.. I already have that!

Comment

Working...
                              X