Spinal Tap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spinal Tap

I have been in Limbo since May . August 1 I was furloughed to PT so I had 2 days a week free so I craned in appointments and tests I had a spinal tap on Oct 13. The results have been posted to my portal account
    it states that I have 2 or note unique bands but my doctor did not order a serum test (blood) therefore they recommend a repeat with serum within 48 hours. WHAT I have to do this again!!

I had extensive bloodwork done and checked for a lot of autoimmune disease all were perfect, actually all results were perfect except cholesterol.

Has anyone not had a serum draw with their spinal tap? I would love to hear others stories

Originally posted by CassCoop View Post
    I have been in Limbo since May . August 1 I was furloughed to PT so I had 2 days a week free so I craned in appointments and tests I had a spinal tap on Oct 13. The results have been posted to my portal account
    it states that I have 2 or note unique bands but my doctor did not order a serum test (blood) therefore they recommend a repeat with serum within 48 hours. WHAT I have to do this again!!

I had extensive bloodwork done and checked for a lot of autoimmune disease all were perfect, actually all results were perfect except cholesterol.

Has anyone not had a serum draw with their spinal tap? I would love to hear others stories
    Hello Cass ~

I had a blood draw, and then my spinal tap.

It is my understanding that in MS, oligoclonal bands may be found in the cerebrospinal fluid, but not in the blood.

If these proteins are found in the CSF and also in the blood, it may indicate the need to look for other chronic inflammatory conditions.

This info is from the NMSS website:

"In MS, damage to myelin causes certain types of proteins to be released into the spinal fluid. When these proteins are identified in the spinal fluid, but not in the blood, MS is thought to be one of the possible diagnoses."

Hope this helps with your question.

PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Thank you that makes sense

Comment

Originally posted by CassCoop View Post
        The results have been posted to my portal account
        It's too bad that you have to go through the process all over again, through no fault of your own.

I'm sure that you have enough stress to deal with already, as it is.

In any case, good luck and let us know what you find out. We'll be here.

Take Care

PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

I have been in Limbo since May
          I went through a similar limbo phase for months and months before being diagnosed. But that was back in the late '80s when MS was more rare.

I feel for you having to retake a spinal tap. Of the many tests given to me when I was first diagnosed they had to do 2 spinal taps -- and those were by far the worst of the tests given.
          59M / RRMS / Dx1987 / Ocrevus

Comment

Working...
          X