Understanding the neuro exam and my wonky hand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

updates

Hello, wonderful people who held my hand during this frightening process.
    Bever, I hope you get information soon. Weird symptoms without an explanation are scary. It is also so demoralizing when doctors don't take us seriously.

I am happy to say MS has been ruled out and I have answers!
    There are a few small migraine lesions, but nothing sinister. It turns out that the second opinion for the MRI was to verify that I had a bone growth disease as a teen. I am lucky that it didn't dramatically damage my spine, but things didn't form quite right. I don't fully understand it, but the doctor showed me how all of my discs are bulging or mildly herniated. I wish I had an image of my spine taken years ago. I hope to avoid surgery for a while, but I might need it as I have bladder symptoms. :/

This has been a frightening past few months, and I'm so grateful that people on this forum take the time to comfort people waiting on tests and to answer their questions. Doctors aren't always considerate and worry from family members can make waiting for stressful.

Maybe this will be helpful to others in limbo land? There is a chance I might have sporadic hemiplegic migraines, rather than or in addition to basilar migraines. I got an aura with slurred speech and a droopy eyelid after my neuro exam, so they kept me for a bit and repeated the exam. My left arm and hand were weaker. They said more recent studies have shown that HM can cause numbness, weakness, and occasionally tremors on the affected side for days without paralysis in some patients, but basilar migraines can cause weakness as well. The genetic test is expensive, and my treatment wouldn't change, so I decided not to get the test. I don't know which reports they are referring to, but it might be worth looking at the latest migraine research on rarer migraines if MRIs are normal. The "Complex" and "Complicated" labels for migraines are now viewed as outdated.

Thank you again, and I hope that those in limbo land find compassionate doctors and get much-needed answers!

Comment

Originally posted by greyhound5 View Post
      Hello, wonderful people who held my hand during this frightening process.
      Bever, I hope you get information soon. Weird symptoms without an explanation are scary. It is also so demoralizing when doctors don't take us seriously.

I am happy to say MS has been ruled out and I have answers!
      There are a few small migraine lesions, but nothing sinister. It turns out that the second opinion for the MRI was to verify that I had a bone growth disease as a teen. I am lucky that it didn't dramatically damage my spine, but things didn't form quite right. I don't fully understand it, but the doctor showed me how all of my discs are bulging or mildly herniated. I wish I had an image of my spine taken years ago. I hope to avoid surgery for a while, but I might need it as I have bladder symptoms. :/

This has been a frightening past few months, and I'm so grateful that people on this forum take the time to comfort people waiting on tests and to answer their questions. Doctors aren't always considerate and worry from family members can make waiting for stressful.

Maybe this will be helpful to others in limbo land? There is a chance I might have sporadic hemiplegic migraines, rather than or in addition to basilar migraines. I got an aura with slurred speech and a droopy eyelid after my neuro exam, so they kept me for a bit and repeated the exam. My left arm and hand were weaker. They said more recent studies have shown that HM can cause numbness, weakness, and occasionally tremors on the affected side for days without paralysis in some patients, but basilar migraines can cause weakness as well. The genetic test is expensive, and my treatment wouldn't change, so I decided not to get the test. I don't know which reports they are referring to, but it might be worth looking at the latest migraine research on rarer migraines if MRIs are normal. The "Complex" and "Complicated" labels for migraines are now viewed as outdated.

Thank you again, and I hope that those in limbo land find compassionate doctors and get much-needed answers!
      Hi greyhound5

Thank you for coming back here with your update!

So very glad for you that you don't have MS, and that you have answers for the symptoms.

Your post, describing the causes of your symptoms, is most interesting. You have taught us something new, so thanks for that also.

Wishing you the very best!

Take Care
      Last edited by KoKo; 08-16-2017, 11:42 AM.
      PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Your post sounds like you have dodged a bullet! Maybe you dodged the firing squad ! Any time you find some answers that your doctors can work to manage your symptoms, it is cause for celebration ! Good luck

Comment

Working...
        X