Should I seek diagnostics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I seek diagnostics?

I know this gets asked a lot, but I am concerned I may be developing or have developed MS.

I have, over the past four years, experienced increasing symptoms.

-Increasingly common episodes of blurry/double vision, coupled often with a electric jolt feeling, as well as spots in my eyes.
    -severe fatigue, even when I wake up
    -headaches
    -severe back pain
    -tingling in legs, arms, back
    -cold sensation in my back
    -increasing loss in balance and coordination
    -stiffness in legs
    -loss of strength

I may be just being paranoid, but I'm concerned about this. This year I've had episodes of increased systems at least three times, each lasting a few weeks to over a month. Back X-Rays were normal besides signs of VERY early arthritis, nothing near what would cause the pain I experience. Doctor dismissed my concerns and gave me numbing patches and said to try phys. therapy, which I can't afford.

Should I pursue an MRI? Or should I not be concerned?

Hello westridgenorth and welcome to MSWorld.

Many conditions, medications, vitamin/mineral deficiencies and mental health issues can all cause the same type of symptoms as those seen in Multiple Sclerosis. All of those other things will need to be ruled out as part of the diagnostic process. Many things can be ruled in/out with blood work.

Information about ruling out of other conditions:
    http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Sym...ns-to-Rule-Out

Vision problems should be addressed by an Ophthalmologist or Optometrist.

If you are concerned about MS speak to your Primary Care Physician who can refer you to a Neurologist for testing and an evaluation/exam.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
      Hello westridgenorth and welcome to MSWorld.

Many conditions, medications, vitamin/mineral deficiencies and mental health issues can all cause the same type of symptoms as those seen in Multiple Sclerosis. All of those other things will need to be ruled out as part of the diagnostic process. Many things can be ruled in/out with blood work.

Information about ruling out of other conditions:
      http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Sym...ns-to-Rule-Out

Vision problems should be addressed by an Ophthalmologist or Optometrist.

If you are concerned about MS speak to your Primary Care Physician who can refer you to a Neurologist for testing and an evaluation/exam.

I know my blood tests are normal, as far as I know they ran as many tests as they could. No vitamin deficiencies or anything.

What I really want to know if if I should consider MS a possibility, or if my symptoms say it isn't.

Comment

-severe fatigue, even when I wake up
        -headaches
        This could indicate a sleep disorder such as sleep apnea. A sleep study would be able to rule in/out a sleep disorder.

-severe back pain
        -tingling in legs, arms, back
        -cold sensation in my back
        -increasing loss in balance and coordination
        -stiffness in legs
        -loss of strength
        What part of your back had x-rays?

Doctor dismissed my concerns and gave me numbing patches and said to try phys. therapy, which I can't afford.
        Your Dr. did not dismiss your concerns his recommendation was Physical Therapy(PT). PT as well as exercise can improve strength, pain, coordination/balance, and stiffness. If a person has MS exercise is recommended as is PT when needed.

What I really want to know if if I should consider MS a possibility, or if my symptoms say it isn't
        No one here can answer that question, it is up to your Drs. to determine if you have MS or not.
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I definitely don't have sleep apnea, I'm pretty sure my husband would notice that.

I had xrays of my entire back as well as one of my hips which also had a period of issues, all normal save the early arthritis thing in my upper back on two vertebrae.

And I wasn't very clear about the dismissal thing. I actually had to force a referral out of my primary care doctor who insisted nothing was wrong, to physical medicine, that new doctor then recommended the physical therapy. He also did some reflex tests, which were all abnormal at 0 or +3.

I see him again in a month. I just want to know, should I discuss this as a possibility?

None of my doctors tell me anything, they just assume I wouldn't understand since I'm 19, or think I'm faking it for pain pills or something. I've been grilled about whether I'm addicted to anything so many times, and refused any pain meds for my whole life save once, 4 pills, when I went to the ER. And I took one of those then and one other time, and was actually scolded for taking one at a time when it was the worst I'd ever felt, by my primary care doctor who said I was exaggerating and was just asking to get addicted, by taking it ONCE. He told me to never take any again.

Comment

Hi westridgenorth ,
            I see that you are noticing some health issues and you are seeking some answers . Sometimes the docs don't see the problems, but the problem exists ! I feel for you ! First, this board is a message board not a board that dispenses medical advice ! Do not think that you will get professional medical advice, here ! That's a disclaimer !
            Now, I have something to tell you. Take it or leave it ! You must get your exact levels of vitamin D and B-12 from your blood tests . Never believe a doctors words " your levels are good" ! Ask for the exact numbers !
            You should, probably, see a neurologist ! That specialty deals with mysterious symptoms, regularly ! Good luck

Comment

Working...
            X