Opinions please :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions please :)

On the 30th of December i started having trouble with double vision in my left eye, as in a shadow of each letter a bit up and to the right of letters when reading. Also some blurring. Had pain on Saturday and slight today. I sent an email to my eye doctor who said it was nothing to be concerned about but he would evaluate it in the next week or two if I wanted. Given my history, I am perhaps overreacting and taking it to seriously? What do you all think, should I bother going in and having it checked?

Thanks!

Recap:
    DX Probable Benign MS 2006 - due mostly to several lesions found on the brain and foggy feeling
    Changed to Fibromyalgia
    Seizure 2011 - No explanation, all epilepsy tests negative
    late 2012 and 2013, new symptoms include Difficulty swallowing
    2013 - dx Peroneal tendonitis and Plantar fasciitis in both feet
    2013 - dx Carpel Tunnel both arms
    5/15/2013 new head MRI results "Interval increase in size and number of white matter abnormalities. Differential diagnoses include small vessel ischemic disease, migraine and not totally excluded multiple sclerosis. "
    8/12/2014 - dx Sciatica
    9/8/2014 - Vision changes with some letters changing from black to green while reading. Eye exam showed nothing wrong.
    9/30/2014 - dx with Exploding head syndrome
    5/14/2015 - Unexplained back pain when getting up even after just a few minutes laying down.
    12/30/2015 - Monocular double vision with blurriness, pain on Saturday and again today.
    DX Probable Benign MS 2006
    Changed to Fibromyalgia
    Seizure 2011
    Many new symptoms starting 1/2013

Hi Robinsnesth:

My best recommendation is to get yourself a new eye doctor. Regardless of your history, no sudden change of vision is ever normal, and it should be checked in a timely manner, not just "if you want." That applies to everyone.

As the patient, you aren't in any position to know what's going on or to know when to be evaluated -- that's what the doctor is for. If yours doesn't want to do that, find one who does. The latest survey of physician attitudes showed that an average of 55% of physicians across various specialties reported that they're burned out. Sounds like your eye doc might be one of them, so it might be time to move one.

Monocular diplopia usually doesn't indicate anything serious, but it's the suddenness of the onset and the pain that makes it checkable in a timely manner.

Again, it's up to the doctor who examines you to determine whether you're overreacting. Your eye doctor may know you well enough to have a good feel for whether you're overreacting, and he might have enough experience with you to believe that you are, which might be why he isn't in a hurry to see you. But he still shouldn't be leaving it up to you to decide whether or not to get it checked. If it's abnormal, or you believe that it's abnormal, it should be checked within a few days, not a couple of weeks "if you want."

You might have the best chance of being seen in a timely manner if you call your eye doc's office and tell them you want to be seen. If they don't immediately give you an appointment within the next day or two, call another office (you're going to be looking for another doctor anyway, right?). If you have to call your PCP and get a referral for another eye doc, then do that.

You're already heading into a week with your new symptoms. With eye stuff, something that's treatable early can cross the line into irreversible in not much time at all. So get on the phone.

Comment

Yes, totally agree--ANY new change in vision should be a red flag for any good eye dr.

It was actually my ophthalmologist that hustled me to the ER for an MRI when I suddenly developed double vision almost 3 years ago.

It may be something, but then again it may be something. Its definitely best to get it checked out. Sooner rather than later! Please get it checked out--again a good dr will squeeze you in as an emergency--YOU just need to advocate for yourself! Keep us posted!

Comment

""My best recommendation is to get yourself a new eye doctor. Regardless of your history, no sudden change of vision is ever normal, and it should be checked in a timely manner, not just "if you want." That applies to everyone"
        I can not agree more! Get it checked out, and get it checked out rather quickly. It could be nothing, and hopefully it is, but would you rather know that it is inconsequential rather than opposite?
        hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
        volunteer
        MS World
        hunterd@msworld.org
        PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Hi Robin,

Definitely would report this to your neurologist, also! Vision problems often occur with MS.

Best wishes!

Comment

Originally posted by Robinsnesth View Post
            On the 30th of December i started having trouble with double vision in my left eye, as in a shadow of each letter a bit up and to the right of letters when reading. Also some blurring. Had pain on Saturday and slight today. I sent an email to my eye doctor who said it was nothing to be concerned about but he would evaluate it in the next week or two if I wanted. Given my history, I am perhaps overreacting and taking it to seriously? What do you all think, should I bother going in and having it checked?

Thanks!

Recap:
            DX Probable Benign MS 2006 - due mostly to several lesions found on the brain and foggy feeling
            Changed to Fibromyalgia
            Seizure 2011 - No explanation, all epilepsy tests negative
            late 2012 and 2013, new symptoms include Difficulty swallowing
            2013 - dx Peroneal tendonitis and Plantar fasciitis in both feet
            2013 - dx Carpel Tunnel both arms
            5/15/2013 new head MRI results "Interval increase in size and number of white matter abnormalities. Differential diagnoses include small vessel ischemic disease, migraine and not totally excluded multiple sclerosis. "
            8/12/2014 - dx Sciatica
            9/8/2014 - Vision changes with some letters changing from black to green while reading. Eye exam showed nothing wrong.
            9/30/2014 - dx with Exploding head syndrome
            5/14/2015 - Unexplained back pain when getting up even after just a few minutes laying down.
            12/30/2015 - Monocular double vision with blurriness, pain on Saturday and again today.
            Adding to the mix around March 13th, Nystagmus and loss of some sense of taste. Yesterday I had the oddest sense of vibration. I was laying down on the bed with my husband, he didn't feel a thing. I see the eye doctor today, hopefully get some answers. My PCP wants me to see a ENT, but I'm thinking that is just a wasted step before going back to the neurologist.
            Changed to Fibromyalgia
            Seizure 2011

Comment

AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRgggggggggggggHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

So, my eye doctor blew it all off, we are all getting older and things don't work as well............I GIVE UP!
              Changed to Fibromyalgia
              Seizure 2011

Comment

Is this the same eye doctor that several us urged you to replace three months ago?

Comment

Originally posted by jreagan70 View Post
                  Is this the same eye doctor that several us urged you to replace three months ago?
                  Sadly yes. It is an insurance issue. We can't go anywhere else until we completely change our insurance company. it is complicated
                  Changed to Fibromyalgia
                  Seizure 2011

Comment

Working...
                  X