Worried...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worried...

6 years ago in 2009 (e.g. before new 2010 McDonalds criteria), I had a CIS (optic neuritis and numbness on left side of my body). It came out of nowhere, so I wasn't prepared with info or anything. My MRI scan showed only 1 lesion on the brainstem. I had a LP which was normal. They treated me with steriods and I improved after about 1 month.

A 3 month follow-up MRI, I had developed 1 small additional lesion. At this point, they did mention something about treatments, but since they could not give me a diagnosis of MS then, it would be out-of-pocket, which we definitely could not afford. And anyways, they said we'd wait to see what the 6 month follow-up looked like.

So, at 6 months there was no progression in lesions. At this point they basically said, "good luck" and come back if you have more symptoms. I have had absolutely no symptoms in 6 years since then and honesly more or less forgot about it. Then 2 weeks ago, I developed numbness in my upper right thigh and some slight dizziness. I am scheduled for an MRI in the next few weeks.

I am already prepared for CDMS, but I am now worried that I have been 6 years without any DMT and how bad that will be for future prognosis. I feel slightly angry that I didn't have the options already back then and that there were no follow ups. I feel like I didn't get enough info at that time to know how serious this was. Just wanted to get this out there and hoping for the best from the MRI.

Hello Bluwewb and welcome to MSWorld.

I am already prepared for CDMS, but I am now worried that I have been 6 years without any DMT and how bad that will be for future prognosis. I feel slightly angry that I didn't have the options already back then and that there were no follow ups. I feel like I didn't get enough info at that time to know how serious this was.
    I can understand why you feel this way. However, it is not uncommon to have this disease longer than the actual diagnosis date. Being on a Disease Modifying Therapy may or may not have changed anything, currently or in the future...there is simply no way to know.

You can still have an exacerbation (relapse, attack, flare-up), lesions and progression even on the DMTs There is no guarantees with this disease.

Even though you are sure you will receive a diagnosis of MS I will keep my fingers crossed you do not. I wouldn't wish this disease on anyone.

Take care
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Don't worry! That anxiousness will make your nervous system overwork ! stay calm and ndo the right things for your body ! Don't smoke, don't drink. Eat the smart things like green vegetables and fruit. Go easy on breads and wheat flour products. Make sure that your vitamin D levels are near 40 or 50 mg/ ML ! Good luck

Comment

Thanks everybody. You are probably right. I am also probably reading too much these last few days too, heh. I have started to take better care of myself, so I guess that is a positive change as well. I appreciate the support and its good to talk with someone about it.

Comment

Working...
        X