I hate "limbo land"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hate "limbo land"

I've been in limbo for over a year now, and I figured I'd finally post. I started having symptoms in June of '14. Went to my primary doctor, who was convinced for a few months it would go away on it's own. When my vision started degrading, the vertigo, fatigue, paresthesias got to the point that they were constant, and my mobility issues were putting me in bed for days I begged him to send me to a neuro.

The first neuro I talked to decided I had MS without even having an exam (what?), and wanted MRI to confirm. MRI came back negative, so he decided I had migraines and sent me on my way. I kept getting worse, and went to another neuro who ordered another MRI, and discovered I had, from what, at least 6 lesions consistent with demyelination (the radiologist only commented on a lack of tumors, no information on hyperintense areas or lesions), and ordered a spinal tap to confirm. When it came back negative, he decided it was not MS, and started checking me for seizures.

When all my EEGs came back normal, I asked him about the lesions again, and now he's saying they're consistent with chronic headaches. I got migraines as a kid, and I have had about 2-3 since this all started, but it was a good 10 years between them. He has no idea what's wrong, but he's sending me to the Mayo clinic (!) to decide if I'm having seizures or demyelination. Now I'm waiting on the insurance to decide if it's medically necessary for me to go to the Mayo clinic, since it's out of area. I'm getting worn out, and worn down.

The longest "spell" I've had was in July, which lasted 6 days. Most of my "spells" have lasted 1-2 days. I'm coming off a 3 day one now. In the one in July, I had to use a shopping cart as a make-shift walker, and my knees were practically still dragging the ground. This last one, I lost the feeling in my right leg, and it would bear no weight. I fell in the kitchen last night, and twice more before I could get back to the bed. I think I spent about a total of about 20 minutes on the floor trying to get up the strength to stand up.

I had to force myself today because of a job interview, or I think I'd still be in bed, afraid of falling like that again. Between spells, the numbness and tingling in my hands and feet, vertigo, and easy fatigue never go away.

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

Very frustrating

Hello,

No sage advice from me, just wanted to say sorry to hear you are dealing with all this and can't seem to find any answers. I know how frustrating that is!!

Here's hoping things work out with your insurance company and the folks at Mayo will find some answers for you!

Let us know how things work out.
    Echo
    DX 2007 Started Ocrevus on 2/14/2018

"Some where over the rainbow...."

Comment

Hello amyers and welcome to MSWorld.

Have you had MRIs of the cervical spinal cord? Multiple Sclerosis is a disease of the Central Nervous System(CNS), this includes the brain, spinal cord, and optic nerves. Lesion can show up anywhere within the CNS.

Unfortunately, there is no single test, by it's self, that can give a diagnosis of Multiple Sclerosis and there is no symptom(s) that is unique to MS.

Have you been to an Ophthalmologist about your vision? Vision difficulties can have many causes and a Neurologist is not the Dr. to diagnose vision problems.

Hopefully your insurance will approve going to the Mayo Clinic and you will have answers soon.

Take care.
      Diagnosed 1984
      “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Working...
      X