I'm back after many years...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm back after many years...

I've had neurological symptoms for many (at least five - maybe 7 or 8) years now, particularly paresthesia (which started in my left fingers/hand and foot/toes, but now has spread to the left side of my face and parts of my torso) and trouble with balance and coordination. After maybe two years of testing and monitoring by a neurologist who thought that I probably had early MS, and kept expecting lesions to show on my brain MRI, my PCP (who shared my frustration with the neuro's focus on the brain only) ordered a spine MRI, which showed a small cervical syrinx. From that time, I got a second opinion from a neurosurgeon at the Cleveland Clinic, and even joined a research study at NIH in Bethesda on the natural history of syringomyelia.

But over the past couple years, I have been adding new symptoms. Last year, my local neurologist diagnosed me with Essential Tremor. The tremor, which is, like the paresthesia, much worse on the left side, has continued to get worse since. Caffeine does not seem to make it worse, and the first line of treatment (Clonazepam) didn't touch it. Although I've had trouble finding words off and on for the past couple years, over the past few months, I seem to be having some other cognitive difficulties, which is making simple work tasks more challenging sometimes.

A couple weeks ago, I saw my PCP for a regular yearly exam. I expected him to be thrilled with my weight loss and general improvement in health over the previous year. Instead, he expressed concern over my worsened neurological condition, and asked whether my neurologist had re-examined the possibility that I have MS as well as syringomyelia. This past Wednesday, I saw my neurologist (who I had just seen about three months ago), who felt that my symptoms had progressed significantly just in the time since I'd last seen him. My reflexes were of particular concern to him. I recall neuros in my syringomyelia exams noting that I had "brisk reflexes." But on Wednesday, the dr. said that I had "hyperreflexia," and he showed me clonus in both my ankles - much worse on one side. He also showed how, when he very gently tapped near my ankle, the muscles reacted all the way up to my thigh.

So now his office is scheduling me for blood tests and a new brain and spine MRI (I'm not sure how far down the spine), referring me to a new urologist to determine whether the increased urinary incontinence (another joyful symptom) is due to "spastic bladder" or something else, and then he will see me when all these results are in, and determine "which direction we should go next."

Does my story sound familiar to any of you? Are these the sort of symptoms you had at first, and does my progression seem like what anybody else has experienced?

I also have trouble with my vision - yes, I've seen an optometrist, and he referred me to an opthamologist specializing in retinal issues, but I haven't been. And intermittent pain. And heat is not my friend. I was out in 100 degree humid weather yesterday and felt like I had been drugged!

Thanks for letting me vent.
    Dx October 10th, 2011 - Syringomyelia (Syrinx of the upper cervical spinal cord at the C1-C2 level, 2 x 10 mm), cause yet to be determined...
    October 28, 2011 - Gabapentin is my new best friend.

Those symptoms certainly could be MS. The tricky thing about diagnosing MS is that many other illness mimic it. Hopefully, with your list of clinical symptoms and the tests they are planning to run, you'll get some answers.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Yesterday the nurse called to schedule the MRI, and it turns out that my neuro ordered only a cervical MRI. Given the cost, I am not going to argue, but it's a little frustrating. He really is convinced that my syrinx has expanded, and that is the cause is most, if not all, of my symptoms. I just want all the answers now, which I know isn't realistic.

I should probably also note that I'm also awaiting genetic test data from 23andMe, which I had done to see whether I have the genetic markers for Parkinson's. My younger brother has Young Onset Parkinson's.
      Dx October 10th, 2011 - Syringomyelia (Syrinx of the upper cervical spinal cord at the C1-C2 level, 2 x 10 mm), cause yet to be determined...
      October 28, 2011 - Gabapentin is my new best friend.

Comment

Thanks for the update. Please let us know what happens.
        ~ Faith
        MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
        - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
        - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Hi Mama Darwin:

Your syrinx doesn't -- and can't -- explain your visual issues, facial paresthesias and cognitive difficulties.

There's a good reason why you're uncomfortable with your neuro's failure to order a brain MRI -- your symptoms call for a brain MRI. So your neuro's choice to bypass one is puzzling. Of course you want as many answers as possible now, and there's no logical reason why you shouldn't be getting them with something as simple as a brain MRI.

Is there something special about this neuro that makes it OK for him to delay looking for more answers? Have you considered seeing another neuro who would be more proactive?

Comment

Hi,
            I agree that having the brain MRI would be valuable additional information. I've been trying to learn about lesions: locations and corresponding symptoms. From what I have been able to tell, symptoms with walking or in the legs would be more associated with spinal lesions.

Good luck to you in getting more information!
            RRMS Dx: 3/23/15
            (Optic Neuritis Dx 2/27/15; Feb/2014 right leg numbness--at the time diagnosed as Sciatica, but probably first episode)
            Started Tysabri 5/22/15: (Infusions: 5/22/15, 6/18/15, 7/16/15)

Comment

Working...
            X