Abnormal EMG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Abnormal EMG

I had an EMG on my arms yesterday. I was supposed to see the Dr in 3 weeks for follow up, but after the EMG was done, the nurse said I needed to come in on Tuesday. The tech did tell me the test was abnormal (impulse waves too far apart?). Does this sound consistent with MS? Any other thoughts? It does make me a bit concerned that my appointment was moved up because of the results.

I have had an MRI with multiple lesions that the doc says "are in the right place for MS", an LP that was normal with the exception of very low fluid pressure, normal labs except an elevated sed rate. During this process, I developed polymyalgia rheumatica that is being barely controlled with high dose prednisone, so the pursuit of an MS diagnosis was put on the back burner. I cannot function without the pred, can't lift my arms and my hands spasm. I was having trouble with arm weakness before the PMR, so that's why he did the EMG. I guess I'm just wondering what could be in an EMG that would warrant an urgent appointment with him. I am not normally a nervous nellie, but this has me a bit frightened. Any ideas?

Originally posted by firemom31 View Post
    The tech did tell me the test was abnormal (impulse waves too far apart?). Does this sound consistent with MS? Any other thoughts?
    An abnormal EMG is NOT consistent with MS. An EMG is not even a test for MS.

MS is a disease of the central nervous system, which consists of the brain (including brainstem), spinal cord (not "spine," because the spine is part of the skeleton) and optic nerves.

An EMG tests for abnormalities in muscles and in the peripheral nervous system, which controls muscles and other functions in the rest of the body, outside the central nervous system.

Abnormalities that show up in an EMG mean that the problems are not from MS OR that there is another problem in the muscles and peripheral nervous system in addition to MS. An abnormal EMG is usually not associated with polymyalgia rheumatica.

To get a list of diseases that an abnormal EMG can indicate, you can just google for a term like "meaning of abnormal EMG." And your doctor will have much more detail for you at your appointment.

One of the diagnostic criteria of MS is that all other possible conditions that could be causing the person's symptoms must be ruled out first. So your workup for MS could stay on the back burner for a long time while other causes are investigated.

Comment

Saw the doc yesterday to discuss my EMG. He says that the results indicate something in my cervical spine area causing a problem, and he is now putting MS back on the front burner. He sad he suspects a lesion in that area. Another MRI scheduled for next week, and a rheumatology consult for the PMR. Doc said he is really leaning toward MS at this point, based on the clinical picture, but now waiting for a new lesion to appear before making that diagnosis. He says we have ruled out everythng else at this point.

Comment

Thanks for the update, firemom.

Have you thought about getting another opinion? Considering that this is the neuro who thought that everything had already been ruled out before you were diagnosed with PMR -- and you had to push for that -- that's what I would do in your position. Fresh eyes on a new MRI probably wouldn't hurt.

Comment

Working...
        X