Frustrated and hanging in Limbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frustrated and hanging in Limbo

Hi! I am new here. I am enjoying reading posts and learning from everyone. I am hanging in limbo and becoming very frustrated with myself. Let me introduce myself and tell my story.

I am a 40 year old single mom who started having symptoms the beginning of September last year. I woke up one day and my entire right arm was numb. I brushed it off to sleeping on it wrong. The next day my left arm was numb and over the next two days, I had numbness also in both legs with tingling in all extremities. I am a nurse and really started to worry when over the next few days I became very clumsy with my hands and started dropping things at work or trouble opening packages. I felt like I had 5 pairs of gloves on. I was also extremely fatigued. I went to my family Dr who ran all kinds of labs to rule everything else out. Let me mention that I have 2 uncles who have been diagnosed with MS. I mentioned this to my Dr and he said it was a possibility. He ruled everything else out and said it could be MS. He sent me for an MRI which showed 4 lesions on my brain.

I was referred to a neurologist that specializes in MS. At my first appt. he told me that it sounded like MS with the lesions and my symptoms. He ordered an MRI of my spine that showed no lesions. Of course, he said he couldn't absolutely diagnose it until my MRI showed new lesions.

My first "relapse" lasted 5 weeks. I was symptom free for 5 months, until March this year. It started with numbness and tingling again but also lots of muscle tightening and cramps. Then I started having excruciating pain on the right side of my face along my upper jaw that would come and go. I already had a MRI scheduled for the end of March. It showed no new lesions. My neurologists was happy with that. Still no answers. He did diagnose me with idiopathic transverse myelitis and trigiminal neuropathy. These last two days, I have started having lots of pain in both arms and so much trouble holding things in both hands. I am becoming very frustrated with myself! I would appreciate in words of wisdom or thoughts. I've debated on getting a second opinion. Thoughts anyone?

Welcome.

Unfortunately, limbo, and the acompnaying frustration can last a long time. I was in limbo for almost two years. Even Mayo Clinic was unable to dx me. After 6 months of MS and two weeks of testing at Mayo, they sent me home with a "Probable CNS Lupus" dx. It wasn't until more than a year later, after multiple flares and seven MRI's, that my general neurologist was able to dx me as MS.

Hang in there, but, continue to push for a dx, even if it means more testing.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Working...
    X