Does 3Tessla MRI make a difference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does 3Tessla MRI make a difference?

I have been going round in circles for about 5 years. I started out with weird pain and numbness in my head and trip to the ER. I am very claustrophobic so they did the open MRI.

MY PCP said that first MRI suggested MS and sent me to a neurologist who said the lesions were not typical of MS.

I have had a battery of testing since:
    one said the EMG/nerve conduction study was postive for neuropathy in my legs (several years after the head ER visit);
    another thought that docs' technique for EMG was off because his office exam (with those diaper pins) did not show neuropathy;
    another brought up MS again and sent me to his colleague who said it was not MS;
    one said it was merely a Vitamin D deficiency (gotten the level over 30 but symptoms are progressing).

Now I know why they call it "practicing" medicine!

Due to a lay-off, we have changed insurance companies and therefore had to change neurologists to be "in-network".

The new neurologist I saw last week said he thought the probability of MS was low due to the pattern of lesions but thought it was worth doing an MRI on a 3 Tessla machine, saying the Open MRI machine resolution was pretty lousy and a waste of money. Wish someone had told me that along the way before spending all that money (6 Open MRIs on brain and spine).

Our insurance deductible has gone up to $5,000 so not sure if this will be more wasted money?

Current symptoms are burning/tingling legs, painful stiffness in legs, dropping things numerous times per day,several falls the past few years resulting in rotator cuff injury/surgery.

The progression and weird symptoms have been a steady downhill over the past 5 years. Makes me worried about what is ahead since I have no clue what is wrong.

Has anyone had new information show up on a 3 Tessla machine after having Open MRIs?

Hello pooh2 and welcome to MSWorld.

An open MRI is usually not used when MS is suspect. I, myself, have never had an open MRI related to MS. I have had an open MRI for non-MS issues.

From the National Multiple Sclerosis Society:
    Open MRIs are usually less than 1.5T and do not provide the best images for detecting MS activity, although they may be used when someone has difficulty tolerating a closed MRI machine.
    http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Sym...sing-Tools/MRI
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Hi, Sorry you are having all those problems. If the Tesela 3 is going to cost you a lot more out of pocket then you might be able to get your MRI on a Tesela 1.5 and it would still be much better than a open MRI from what I know but I am not a doctor. I had only one on a open and it was very poor. I do know the 3 has super imaging but most places do not even have a 3. You should talk with your neurologist and find out the money difference and there might be a specific reason for wanting it done on a 3. "Has anyone had new information show up on a 3 Tessla machine after having Open MRIs?" I had many new things show on the 1.5 and the 3 is even better.
      Good Luck
      PEACE

Tortis

Comment

Thanks Snoopy for posting that article.

Our local hospital has a 3T machine and an open machine which is why the doc put in orders for the 3T. Doc felt the previous Open scans were poor quality. I think I am probably going to go ahead with the 3T and hope to find some answers.

They ordered some meds to help with my claustrophobia.

Appreciate the input!

Comment

Thanks

I went ahead and took a last minute cancellation for the 3T MRI machine this morning to get it over with. Now more waiting...

I asked the tech if they saw anything significant, she said they "got great pictures" that the doc could discuss with me when he gets back from vacation in a few weeks.

Thanks to those who posted advice/tips. Much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by pooh2 View Post
            I went ahead and took a last minute cancellation for the 3T MRI machine this morning to get it over with. Now more waiting...

I asked the tech if they saw anything significant, she said they "got great pictures" that the doc could discuss with me when he gets back from vacation in a few weeks.

Thanks to those who posted advice/tips. Much appreciated.
            Whenever, I have an MRI done I always wait a day or two and then go pick up the radiologist report and get a copy of the MRI. You can go to the very bottom of the report to impression and if it's MS it will state that in the impression. For myself this has saved a lot of wondering now I know if I have more lesions or active ones and for that matter I knew I had MS before my Dr. appt. In my town it's free to pick up also.

Good luck
            Tira

Comment

mri info

If your MRI center, even an open unit, is accredited on the following website: ACR.org, you can rest comfortably knowing the images have been scrutinized for proper detailed resolution and that Radiologists, several of them, have approved for that particular magnet to be approved for use and you must have this for reimbursements from insurance companies. 3T = more artifacts and problems, not necessarily better than 1.5T, yet.
              BamaBelle

Tysabri 03/14-present

Comment

A 1.5 T MRI is fine , 3T is better but optional , but an open MRI (0.35T?) is not enough for MS !

Comment

Working...
                X