Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newly diagnosed

Hi everyone.
    I've had aggressive tingling on the left side of my spinal cord the end of the summer of 2014. I played it off as back troubles like a pinched nerve, (I always had back pain). Around that time I also had what I can describe is an electric charge in my lower GI which I ignored. Around Aug.-Nov. those 2 symptoms came and went. Come mid November I had vision problems which I thought was either allergies or even a sinus infection. I finally called my PcP for help. Both eyes were affected progressed even worse by the end of the month with a creepy distortion of the color red. My desire to eat was gone even though my stomach was growling like mad, and I had vision so far gone I had to stay out of work until my problem was resolved. Come to find out, my poor optic nerve was so badly inflamed. The MRI confirmed optic neuritis and 2 lesions in the brain, and 1 spinal cord lesion. I'm relieved to say my vision was saved, my appetite is back with the help of IV steroids. Multiple Sclerosis has been confirmed following my Vertigo incident 3 weeks after the optic neuritis. I also had both legs move uncontrollably for a few seconds one incident in November, but I didn't want to believe I had neuro-issues. Now I'm a tad wiser, on copaxone sub-Q, vitamin D3 pills because D3 was very low following my long list of blood tests to rule out other issues. I had no idea MS was even on the table for me, talk about a huge shock!
    Dx RRMS 2015

Welcome and sorry that you were motivated to have to find this resource. Give yourself time to digest the news- I read it takes 5 years to fully comprehend it, so donīt emotionally beat yourself up if you are struggling in the meantime. The unpredictability is a powerful negative force that one has to reckon with. At first I felt like I had a heavy stone on my chest- the dx was so overwhelming that it literally was hard to breath. I concentrated on visualizing lifting the stone and heaving it to the side. Wow, what a difference that made. Know that the UK, Australian and Canadian MS sites have a variety of resources that are not on the US site. The Rocky Mountain MS Center in Denver is useful for complementary therapy info. Most of all, you are still you.

Comment

Hi perennialz and welcome to our MSWorld

I like what Temagami says that despite the shock of getting a MS diagnose, you are still you! When I was first diagnosed I thought my world would come to an end - talk about shock! But I found that I was able to maintain my activities, my work and family life with some minor adjustments for many years ahead. There are now so many choices for DMT's and symptom management than ever before and that is a huge plus for those now newly dx.

We have a special Chat time that you might be interested in. It's held every Wed at 8pm (ET) and called "How can we help you?" Both chat and the message boards have tons of good information and support for all.

We hope to get to know you better!
      Btw, are you a flower gardener - mostly perennials? I am too. It keeps me going and smiling
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
        Hi perennialz and welcome to our MSWorld

I like what Temagami says that despite the shock of getting a MS diagnose, you are still you! When I was first diagnosed I thought my world would come to an end - talk about shock! But I found that I was able to maintain my activities, my work and family life with some minor adjustments for many years ahead. There are now so many choices for DMT's and symptom management than ever before and that is a huge plus for those now newly dx.

We have a special Chat time that you might be interested in. It's held every Wed at 8pm (ET) and called "How can we help you?" Both chat and the message boards have tons of good information and support for all.

We hope to get to know you better!
        Btw, are you a flower gardener - mostly perennials? I am too. It keeps me going and smiling
        Thank you for the invite.
        Dx RRMS 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Perennialz View Post
          Hi everyone.
          I've had aggressive tingling on the left side of my spinal cord the end of the summer of 2014. I played it off as back troubles like a pinched nerve, (I always had back pain). Around that time I also had what I can describe is an electric charge in my lower GI which I ignored. Around Aug.-Nov. those 2 symptoms came and went. Come mid November I had vision problems which I thought was either allergies or even a sinus infection. I finally called my PcP for help. Both eyes were affected progressed even worse by the end of the month with a creepy distortion of the color red. My desire to eat was gone even though my stomach was growling like mad, and I had vision so far gone I had to stay out of work until my problem was resolved. Come to find out, my poor optic nerve was so badly inflamed. The MRI confirmed optic neuritis and 2 lesions in the brain, and 1 spinal cord lesion. I'm relieved to say my vision was saved, my appetite is back with the help of IV steroids. Multiple Sclerosis has been confirmed following my Vertigo incident 3 weeks after the optic neuritis. I also had both legs move uncontrollably for a few seconds one incident in November, but I didn't want to believe I had neuro-issues. Now I'm a tad wiser, on copaxone sub-Q, vitamin D3 pills because D3 was very low following my long list of blood tests to rule out other issues. I had no idea MS was even on the table for me, talk about a huge shock!
          Hi perrenialz, I can completely relate to havin found out about having ms out of the clear blue. I went in for an mri of my neck ordered by the neurosurgeon to see why I was having shocking feelings when I put my head down (later to find out it's called L'hermittes). The first lesion was found in my neck and 2 weeks later 7 more in my brain within a month I was told I had ms which I knew was bad but really knew nothing about the disease other then I thought I was going to be crippled at any moment.

This was almost 2 years ago and I have to say I am so happy I found out suddenly verses the stories I read here of people waiting years or even decades before they are dx. So, for me it was good to know soon. I love your attitude and admire your strength so early on in your dx. I think I spent a year in shock, denial, shock, denial and then acceptance. Your an inspiration to others and to myself it's always so nice to see someone being positive.

I love your flowers they are peaceful to see. I love to garden but with all the deer around and me not having a green thumb I only plant 10-15 flowers around my pond but even those suffer

Take care and keep posting pics there beautiful.
          Tira

Comment

Working...
          X