No Dx, per PCP is probably "phantom pain" due to bipolar disorder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Dx, per PCP is probably "phantom pain" due to bipolar disorder

I need to vent because I was given the "phantom pain" diagnosis this morning. My family is dealing with an emergency and I cannot bother them with my issues right now.

I do not have a MS dx. My sxs include pain, itchiness, vertigo, memory and cognitive issues, etc. My father has MS. I am bipolar.

After 4 months of being told the problem was osteoarthritis, that diagnosis was debunked by an orthopedic surgeon who recommended I be referred to a neurologist. I met with a different doctor this time at my primary care physician's practice to discuss the referral recommendation.

This doctor's opinion is that my symptoms are most likely bipolar-induced hysteria. In other words, "imaginary". However, as long as I agree to undergo a psychiatric evaluation, she will order a MRI to rule out a much less likely neurological issue.

As I am bipolar, she refused to prescribe any pain killers. (I have had a bad reaction to Gabapentin.) She recommended that I try stretching. I do not understand how "stretching" is going to help with itchiness, for example.

My frustration is that she would not listen to my full list of symptoms and refused to read a one page summary that I had prepared for her.

She asked "where is the location of your worst pain?". I replied, "neck, shoulders and arms".

I then tried to elaborate about the pain and other nerve symptoms that I have in other areas. She said, "If you have other issues you need to set up a different appointment."

I replied, "But I believe they are related as they appeared at the same time."

Her response, "I've already asked you the questions I need you to answer."

She never asked any questions to determine:
    * if symptoms are chronic or intermittent
    * if symptoms are affected by temperature, position, physical activity, etc.
    * if I have any weakness in hands, arms, or legs

How can she settle on a "most likely" diagnosis of "bipolar-induced hysteria" if she will not take into account all of the symptoms?

This is my fourth doctor's appointment since the symptoms began in Aug 2014. I have yet to find anyone that will actually listen to me without jumping to conclusions and then shutting me down because "they have heard enough".

Now I have to meet with a psychiatrist and try to prove that my bipolar disorder has not devolved into full blow psychosis. Lovely.

I do not want to have MS. But I dislike the idea of being flat-out crazy even less. And the refusal to prescribe pain killers is driving me to despair.

Hi JenLee,

It's obvious you are frustrated

If you do have a confirmed diagnosis of Bipolar you may want to do some research on the medication(s) you may be taking. The medications for Bipolar can have some pretty bad side effects. If you do research your medication(s) and find medication side effects that match your symptoms please speak to your prescribing Dr.

A reliable website to search medication side effects is Medline:
    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginformation.html

However, as long as I agree to undergo a psychiatric evaluation, she will order a MRI to rule out a much less likely neurological issue
    Although this may frustrate you it may be a good idea. The assumption that your symptoms are Psychiatric based can be very frustrating. Some times the Dr. is wrong about a Psychiatrist cause, sometimes they are right. By being evaluated you can rule in/out a Psychiatric cause.

Take care and please let us know how things are going.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Originally posted by JenLee View Post
      I need to vent because I was given the "phantom pain" diagnosis this morning. My family is dealing with an emergency and I cannot bother them with my issues right now.

I do not have a MS dx. My sxs include pain, itchiness, vertigo, memory and cognitive issues, etc. My father has MS. I am bipolar.

After 4 months of being told the problem was osteoarthritis, that diagnosis was debunked by an orthopedic surgeon who recommended I be referred to a neurologist. I met with a different doctor this time at my primary care physician's practice to discuss the referral recommendation.

This doctor's opinion is that my symptoms are most likely bipolar-induced hysteria. In other words, "imaginary". However, as long as I agree to undergo a psychiatric evaluation, she will order a MRI to rule out a much less likely neurological issue.

As I am bipolar, she refused to prescribe any pain killers. (I have had a bad reaction to Gabapentin.) She recommended that I try stretching. I do not understand how "stretching" is going to help with itchiness, for example.

My frustration is that she would not listen to my full list of symptoms and refused to read a one page summary that I had prepared for her.

She asked "where is the location of your worst pain?". I replied, "neck, shoulders and arms".

I then tried to elaborate about the pain and other nerve symptoms that I have in other areas. She said, "If you have other issues you need to set up a different appointment."

I replied, "But I believe they are related as they appeared at the same time."

Her response, "I've already asked you the questions I need you to answer."

She never asked any questions to determine:
      * if symptoms are chronic or intermittent
      * if symptoms are affected by temperature, position, physical activity, etc.
      * if I have any weakness in hands, arms, or legs

How can she settle on a "most likely" diagnosis of "bipolar-induced hysteria" if she will not take into account all of the symptoms?

This is my fourth doctor's appointment since the symptoms began in Aug 2014. I have yet to find anyone that will actually listen to me without jumping to conclusions and then shutting me down because "they have heard enough".

Now I have to meet with a psychiatrist and try to prove that my bipolar disorder has not devolved into full blow psychosis. Lovely.

I do not want to have MS. But I dislike the idea of being flat-out crazy even less. And the refusal to prescribe pain killers is driving me to despair.
      WOW, I am in total shock of your Dr. I too am bi-polar (was dx 15 years ago). I take lithium and zoloft and synthroid cause the lithium messed with my thyroid. Anyways, along with my bipolar meds I also take 150 mg of ocycodone a day and wear a bu-trans opiate pain patch. I have never heard of not giving pain meds due to my condition of being bipolar.

I have experienced many phsycotic episodes and have been admitted in the mental ward because of it (this was before they found the right meds for me). But never did I imagine phantom pains or diseases maybe it's possible but you seem to be in touch with reality with your post. Seems to me you Dr. like many others has misunderstood your mental issue and maybe you need to seek another opinion.

I feel for you as it's hard enough to live with this mental illness but to be judged from it is an awful feeling. Especially when your concerned of having a monster of a disease on top of it.

Also, be careful if you do get dx with having MS. My first full dose of Avonex had me hallucinating for over 4 hours I didn't recognize my own husband I thought he was a monster. We were never warned that this is a rare side affect but it does and can happen. So, be cautious and aware if you do get dx and start any meds.

I hope you can find a Dr. that will listen to you and have an open mind and not judge you. I can't imaging how frustrated you must be after seeing several Dr's and not having anybody listen to you. Keep searching you will find the right one and finally get the test and care you deserve.

Best of luck to you!!!
      Tira

Comment

Working...
      X