Which doctor do I see?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which doctor do I see?

Was told in 2006 I likely had MS and then told no it wasn't MS, but no explanation for lesions, signs and symptoms. I went 8 years without incident and thought I was fine until this past September when neurological problems resurfaced. This time I have not made a complete recovery and have been left with some deficits.

My GP was thinking it was likely MS and so few neuro conditions relapse and remit like this. However, the MRI of brain and spine showed only one spot and radiology report calls it a calcification, not a lesion. GP now thinks MS not as likely, and is sending me to a general neuro for evaluation. I have been waiting five months for this appointment and finally go this week.

Over the past two weeks I have had bladder problems. Coincidently this only happened once before and it was in 2006 when I had neuro symptoms. Anyway...went to GP and she referred me to urologist but gave me no meds. as seeing urologist this week.

The bladder discomfort was so bad I couldn't take it anymore and I went to the hospital on the weekend. The doctor who saw me was brought up to speed and he went and reviewed my patient file at the hospital as I had been there (MS clinic) back in 2006. He suspects my bladder issues are related and gave me some meds and set up an appointment for me at his hospital's MS clinic even though he knew I was going to neuro this week.

So now I am meeting with a general neuro this week and will likely get into MS clinic in the next few weeks. The problem is I am now going to be seeing two different doctors. My thinking is that I should keep both appointments and treat the second one as another opinion. If it's MS I can decide which doctor I want to go to and if it's not MS I obviously wont be going to MS clinic. Do you think this is reasonable?

I think you need to see as many doctors as you need to get appropriate treatment. Urinary and bowel problems are in the realm of MS symptoms. You should get a 'complete' blood work up, including vitamin D and B-12. Since there are 400 'mimics' of MS, there is a chance that your problems are treatable. Keep a level head. Good luck

Comment

Working...
    X