Think I have ms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Think I have ms

Hi. My name is Leah and I think I have ms. I have had episodes of strange symptoms over the past more than 3 years.

I was at the beach one day in August of 2011 and when i got back to the hotel my hands were tingling and had a burning feeling. This lasted a couple days. I think I had a bad ms hug then in Sep of that year. I developed sudden terrible pain in mid back that went to my front and it got to the point where I felt I couldn't breathe and I vomited twice. ..i had been at work and it was very hot.

.i left there and went to the dr and when I got there I felt better. A couple weeks after that I got bilateral foot tingling and numbness that then went up my legs and to my waist..i also got extreme weakness in my legs, I had to hang on the banister to pull myself up the stairs. .my legs were also hypersensitive that even the shower water was painful when it hit my legs. This whole episode lasted 4 or 5 days, but was a little better each day.

Now since last year I get painful burning squeezing pains in my mid to upper belly that sometimes hoes straight thru to my back...they are sometimes more intense than others and can last 30 min or a couple hours...i get these almost daily. I may have a couple days in a row that I don't get it. Sometimes it hurts so bad I cry. Sometimes I feel nauseated with it. It's like a burning squeezing with waves of more intense pain. I'm wondering if this is an ms hug because I had extensive GI testing and everything is fine.

I also had two episodes a couple months apart where I suddenly felt like my arms and legs were very heavy and like I was sinking in my chair...these episodes only lasted maybe 15 min to an hour. Last week for 3 or 4 straight days the bottom of my right foot tingled, and then I occasionally felt it in my hands.

I see the neuro in 10 days, but when I saw him 3 years ago after those episodes in 2011 he had no answers and said my exam was normal (I saw him a month and a half after I had the episode). He did say that my reflexes weren't great...i remember my left side was almost nonexistent, but in his report he said everything was normal and didn't mention that.

I had brain, cervical, and thoracic mri ' s in the past and they're always normal, but in my thoracic spine there is mention of a possible thinning if my cord at t5 to t6 which could be an arachnoid cyst, but states I have pulsation artifact behind it so the radiologist says it is just my normal. I don't believe him though. I think I need the t3 magnet machine. Can someone please help me?

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

Since it has been three years, a new set of MRIs is probably in order. You really don't need a 3T machine. Most university hospitals will do the head with a 3T and the spine with a 1.5T. Even if your head is done on a 1.5T machine then it would pick up lesions on the FLAIR portion of the cuts.

So, don't get caught up in what kind of MRI they get, just be sure they get a set of MRIs. Otherwise your symptoms could be the result of many other things. There are about 400 MS mimics, it could be any one of those. Your neurologist needs to rule things out. If he/she just dismisses you, you need another neurologist.

As for the hug. I have had it several times in my 10 years. It has never been painful for me, nor has it made me vomit, but that doesn't make it not so for you. Write it down like you did here and ask about it.

Good luck
    Lisa
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

nurseleah,
      From your 'handle', I am going to guess that you are a nurse. I am glad that you fond this site. I suggest that you see a neurologist who treats MS patients. I also suggest that you get all of your blood tests. Don't skip a vitamin D test. And B-12 as well. Good luck

Comment

Working...
      X