Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At my wits end...

I will try to give the short version.

I have Fibro, CFS, Hoshimotos and several other issues. My pain and fatigue were not being controlled anymore so I decided to go to a pain center at the University Hospital. The worst pain at that time was in my neck so they asked to do an MRI. The MRI came back with some abnormalities that are usually associated with MS. I didn't know anything about MS and proceeded to get upset. My Dr asked to have more MRIs done of the brain and cord. They came back with lesions on both. I saw a neurologist who said that even though I had what looked like lesions from MS, I had no clinical symptoms, so he did not think it was MS. He suggested that I get a 2nd opinion at the MS center at the University. In the meantime I had researched MS and found that I do have A LOT of the symptoms, just not in the degree that makes it a "slam-dunk" diagnosis.
    So, I go for my 2nd opinion and talk with 2 neurologists who seem very intent in getting to the truth. The head Dr wants to do more tests. If they don't turn up anything then he wants to get new MRIs in about 6-12 months to see if any lesions have changed. So, now I am getting blood tests, another MRI, some vision test and just went through a 5 day course of Steroid IV therapy.
    The Steroids have really messed me up BIG TIME! First I had to deal with the side effects while doing it. Now, I guess I am going through withdrawal and it is pure HE**. I am in pain, dizzy, can't taste right, blurry vision, heart palpitations, feel like I am not "really here", rapid breathing, can't get a deep breath and my voice is all squeaky. I can't take anymore! My last IV was Friday, so 3 days ago. I can't do anything without losing my balance and I can't rest because it feels like my head is filled with helium. Please tell me this will eventually go away. I would gladly go back to being in pain and having zero energy.
    I am not usually such a cry baby, but this has been one of the worst experiences of my life and I have been through some tough stuff.

Best wishes

Hi-
    I've never received IV Steroids, but have given them many times as an RN. I know that they have terrible side effects for many- but also do a lot of good.

Sorry I don't have personal experience with this, but do want to offer wishes of good luck.

Comment

Hi capecupcake and welcome to MSWorld. I am so sorry you are having a hellish time with the steroids. I have been where you are and can empathize with what you are going through.

I had a 5 day steroid IV with no taper down about 15 years ago. Had a bad case of optic neuritis which led to my diagnose. I met with a new neuro who put me on the steroids, but did not tell me anything about what to expect.

After day 5, it hit me with a vengeance! I really thought I was having a heart attack, was scared, full of rage (call it 'roid rage) and anxiety and couldn't sleep. I was a mess! My husband called our pcp and she prescribed valium (high dose) for me. This helped me more than anything - to calm down mentally and to help with sleep.

It did nothing to help my ON and just had to wait it out for vision to return to near normal (about 2 months). Steroid and me don't mix and I've refused it ever since!

I hope with each passing day, you feel a little bit better! If you are still feeling these horrible side effects, you should let your doctor know.

Please take care, keep in touch and let us know how you are doing.
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Steroid crash is not quite as bad today. My Dr called in a taper for me. So now I'm back to not knowing if I have MS and if I don't why am I having all of these weird symptoms.

I took a lorazapam this morning and that seemed to really help.

Comment

I take Divalproax sodium (Depakote, i think??) from Day 1 of steroid IV's until at least 10 days after the taper is over, because I get wicked mania/migraines from steroids. It works really well and my family was thankful when the doctor started to prescribe it.

It helps with the withdrawl, too.
          Insanity is doing the same thing over and over then expecting a different result
          "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death" -Earl Wilson

Comment

Working...
          X