Undiagnosed just got my MRI report and have questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Undiagnosed just got my MRI report and have questions

I am new here, but have been looking at the boards for awhile. This is a kind and caring community.

I have been having symptoms that lead me to believe I have MS. I have imbalance and sometimes walk like I am drunk. I also have been having tingling of various body parts such as feet, legs, hands, arms, face, buttocks and groin. I also have been very tired and fatigued. Sleeping is filled with nightly tossing and turning.

My spine MRI says Early degenerative changes and reversal of midcervical lordosisis witch is nonspecific.

My brain MRI says there are 5 periventricular white matter signal abnormalities and 6 tiny juxtacortical signal abnormalities. Nonspecific white matter signal abnormalities are more prominent than expected for age.

My question is is white matter signal abnormalities the same as lesions?

Also, do you have any questions you recommend I ask my neurologist when I see him tomorrow?

Thanks for your help.

Michele

Signals are lesions. Same thing. Your Neuro should look at mri themselves and give you his/her interpretation. Best of luck and let us know what they have to say.

Comment

Well, my neurologist said I had no signs of MS in my MRI. When he was done telling me my results, I asked why I had signal abnormalities inconsistent with my age group. He then reread the report and said "Oh you do have a couple lesions that could be consistent with MS."

He now ordered MRI with contrast and started telling me a little bit about my options if I do get an MS diagnosis. He also said I may need a lumbar puncture.

I didn't leave feeling very confident in his ability to diagnose me.

He also did a nerve conduction study on my legs, and said the results were normal.

Comment

Did he schedule a follow up appointment after Mri? Do know it does take a bit sometimes to get a proper diagnosis whether it is Ms or not. Did he order any blood work,any other tests?

Comment

He wants me to call when I know the MRI report is ready and said he'd fit me in. He said he may order a lumbar puncture depending on the MRI results. He seems to think he will be able to diagnose or rule out MS with one or two of those tests. I am not entirely confident in him. My sister has a friend with MS who says her neurologist is very good. I am thinking of having a second opinion with that doctor.

Comment

He seems to be doing many of the tests that I had during diagnosis. Too bad the first MRI was not done with contrast and you have to have another. MRI is not always enough to get a diagnosis.
            My MRI had lesions that could have been cause by migraines (even though I am not aware of having any). My emg was essentially normal which indicates my numbness was central nervous system related, not an injury or pinched nerve. My lumbar puncture clinched a diagnosis.

You could complete the testing with this doctor and then get another opinion.

Comment

Do you think there are any other tests I should ask for. He hasn't mentioned any blood tests to rule out any mimics.

Comment

I'm sorry you are going through this. Once all the results are in, the neurologist should compare your results against the Revised McDonald Criteria of 2010 to determine if you meet the criteria for MS. Currently, you have lesions, but no space or time values for the criteria. EMG has almost no value for the diagnosis, but can rule out other causes.

- Normally, you would get blood panels the same day you do a lumbar puncture. Then they compare the protein levels between blood and cerebrospinal fluid from the lumbar puncture. If the blood work and lumbar puncture are too far apart you cannot accurately compare the protein content.

- I would get a second opinion even if this neurologist says you do not have MS. This is for your peace of mind, but you'll also learn in the process -and- maybe find a new neurologist that you are more comfortable with. I would be troubled by the one that did not accurately read the MRI summary report.

I hope things get clearer for you. Limbo is often a hard place to be. Please continue to share your experiences and people will continue to help you along the way.

Comment

Thank you Marco. That information is quite helpful.

Comment

My feet r dead

In reflex and if I were you I wouldn't go back to that yahoo. O please! That would be like saying ' I don't see a brain tumor' when its RIGHT THERE! listen, they are TOLD to not diagnose, don't want you on disability! I know this to be true, its obvious. That "Dr" sounds like a fruitcake to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Blancaboo View Post
                      Do you think there are any other tests I should ask for. He hasn't mentioned any blood tests to rule out any mimics.
                      You should check out a book by Kathryn R Simpson called "The MS Solution" Have a Naturopath and sure enough I'm hypothyroid too. Those conventional so called drs know nothing , most of them.

Comment

Working...
                      X