Neck injury- will cervical MRI show MS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neck injury- will cervical MRI show MS?

I'm 26 years old. A few weeks ago, a month after a bad fall, I began experiencing episodes of severely painful pins-and-needles and muscle spasticity. My hand would get locked into a "claw." I've had four of these attacks, each lasting about an hour. The pain abates when I take Vicodin (leftover from when I first fell) but the weakness last a few hours. At first it was just one arm, but now it includes my other arm and legs. I also experience buzzing through my arms when I move my neck forward and I just feel like I'm very clumsy.

I got referred to an orthopedist, who ordered a cervical MRI. They're looking for spinal stenosis. Then my PCP told me that she wasn't sure that my symptoms were caused by my fall, I should get checked for MS. She referred me to a neurologist but I don't have an appointment yet. My main question is... when I go in for the cervical MRI, if I have MS, would that show on this test? Or would I possibly have to go back for another one?

Originally posted by leaftree View Post
    My main question is... when I go in for the cervical MRI, if I have MS, would that show on this test? Or would I possibly have to go back for another one?
    MS is a disease of the Central Nervous System (CNS) which includes the brain, spinal cord and optic nerves. Damage from MS can show up in any area of the CNS.

Yes, a cervical spine MRI can show MS as well as other types of problems related to the spine, spinal cord, and vertebrae.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Update: my MRI did show 2 areas of demylenization, so off to the neurologist I go...

Comment

Well, boo! I'm sorry to hear that, but am glad that you have more info about what is going on so that you can get proper care.

Comment

Originally posted by Alicious View Post
          Well, boo! I'm sorry to hear that, but am glad that you have more info about what is going on so that you can get proper care.
          Thank you. I'm actually a little bit relieved. The first four doctors kept dismissing my neuropathy as nothing more than "inflammation." And MS explains a lot of symptoms I've been asking doctors about for a while (constant fatigue, extreme heat sensitivity, muscle twitches and cramps) that have been dismissed as "stress." At least they're taking me seriously now.

Comment

Originally posted by leaftree View Post
            Update: my MRI did show 2 areas of demylenization, so off to the neurologist I go...
            I'm sorry, leaftree

Best wishes with the Neurology appointment.
            Diagnosed 1984
            “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Unfortunately, they ended up ordering more MRIs- brain and t-spine, with and without contrast. The c-spine one set off a really bad episode of spasticity. Ugh. Not looking forward to this. So sick of testing.

Now I am waiting to see if my insurance approves them.

Comment

I am sorry for your injury.
                At least if it is an injury, you may be able to fix it with cervical spine surgery, which is very risky.
                If you wait too long to decide, your symptoms can lead to meg and arm weakness, and this can lead to paralysis, both temporary and/or permanent. No one can tell what will happen.
                If it is MS, the surgery will be for nothing. You may continue to decline, hence the hesitancy of surgeons to perform this surgery if they suspect MS.

MS is a clinical diagnosis that takes time to observe, experience, and finally diagnose. it is really difficult to diagnose MS.

If you feel yourself getting weaker and weaker, tell your doctors and neurosurgeon immediately! You may not have MS and may need prompt surgery to save your mobility.

Take it from me....
                I was in limbo for about a year and a half before they finally decided it was mechanical and I had a cervical spine surgery.
                I waited another year and a half to heal and I slowly got better. I am far from 100%, but my mobility is improving.

The MS neuros and neurosurgeon at the teaching hospital have finally concluded that I "don't have MS."

Good news for me, but I was in limbo for about 3 years.

I hope you don't have it, as there is no cure at this time, only meds to slow the progression, hopefully.

Good Luck!

Comment

deja vu!

Hi Leaftree!

I was reading your post and it was very similar to what happened to me. I woke up one morning unable to move and it turned out I had 3 herniated discs in my neck. Off to the orthopedist who wanted an MRI.

MRI results - go see an neurologist.
                  Another MRI - more tests - more tests - dx.

(I won't go into the first dx I had in the 70s. .. I'm ignoring that. It's in my profile if you're really interested)

I am glad you came here to ask questions and get information. I have found everyone here is usually extremely knowledgeable and willing to share it!

Let us know how you do.
                  I wish you all the best.

Comment

from a fall

Yes, MS can be caused from a bad injury. Research

Comment

Working...
                    X