Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In limbo but think I may be having my second incident

Hi all,

I am new to this forum, I'm a 36 y.o. female from Melbourne Australia.
    8 months ago, I experienced tingling in my legs, after 4 weeks, I couldn't walk and was taken to hospital.

MRI's showed I had 13 lesions in my brain and severe inflammation in my lower spine, I was then put on a 3 day IV steriod treatment and sent home. The neuro's told me I had a CIS and that it could be a one off, however said that it was most likely MS and I would most likely have another incident. I was referred to a neuro did a lumber punctire and it came back negative for MS (4 months ago).

It took 4 months to be able to walk properly again, and although experiencing fatigue, I have been great, I even went on a trip to Bali 6 weeks ago and although took it easy had a good time and enjoyed myself, able to walk well etc. I also had another MRI 2 weeks ago and it showed I had no new lesions. I have accepted that I most likely have MS, so that's fine, my neuro said if it is MS it is the RRMS not SPMS or PPMS, so if she's right that's good.

Anyway, for the last 5 days my upper legs have become very weak, today more than ever, I have also had tingling in both hands on and off and I'm ultra tired. I have a feeling I am having a relapse or my second incident (not sure what the correct term is). I haven't felt like this since the first incident, the only difference is that my legs aren't tingling.

If anyone could share their insight into the following queries, I would really appreciate it. Although I have some good friends, my Dad doesn't want to believe that it is most likely MS & told me I just have a cold, I just live with flatmates and obviously don't want to burden them, so with all of that I'm feeling kind of alone and lost.

1. Does this sound like a relapse or am I losing my mind or overreacting

2. If it is a relapse do I have to go through the drama of going back to hospital in emergency etc or could this be managed at home and if so, how?

3. It is a public holiday here tomorrow, so I won't be able to get to my GP for another few days, does it increase the risk of not recovering properly if I wait for treatment (steroids I'm assuming).

4. Should I take Tuesday of work and tell my boss I think I may be having a relapse (they are very supportive and accommodating, they sent me home last week because I was struggling so much).

5. If I go for a walk or do house cleaning, could it make it worse

Any other advice, encouragement, even some positive comments would really be appreciated as no one around me has a clue what's going on for me or how to help.

Thank you so much in advance to anyone who replies.

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

Hello blondi50 and welcome to MSWorld

1. Does this sound like a relapse or am I losing my mind or overreacting

2. If it is a relapse do I have to go through the drama of going back to hospital in emergency etc or could this be managed at home and if so, how?
    3. It is a public holiday here tomorrow, so I won't be able to get to my GP for another few days, does it increase the risk of not recovering properly if I wait for treatment (steroids I'm assuming).
    In the case of MS an exacerbation (relapse, attack, flare-up) is defined as a worsening of old symptoms and/or the appearance of new symptoms that last continuously for more than 48 hours. A new exacerbation is separated by 30 days from the previous one. These are guidelines.

By the definition (guidelines) given and in the case of MS, yes, you are more than likely having an exacerbation.

You do not have a definite diagnosis of MS and it is important, for the diagnostic process, to see your Neurologist.

Exacerbations, but not all of them, are treated with IV steroids. This can be done in your home. Some with MS prefer to wait out an exacerbation. Many times, but not all, an exacerbation can resolve on it's own.

5. If I go for a walk or do house cleaning, could it make it worse
    It is best to listen and pay attention to your body. Take it slow. If you feel okay doing cleaning or going for a short walk then do so.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Working...
    X