Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

. . . and waiting

So, this all started back in January.

I first noticed some odd sensations on the left side of my face. At times when it should feel hot (such as a car's defrosters hitting it) it would feel cold. If I rolled down the window and let the cold air come in, it would feel hot (like a lighted candle being held near my face). I didn't think too much about it.

Then one morning I have a memory that it felt weird when I brushed my teeth and breakfast didn't taste right. Again I didn't think much about it (my brain really does not function well before noon). As the morning goes on I notice my face is feeling odd, kind of numb like I've been out in the cold, but I hadn't and when I touched my face it felt warm enough. So, I finally get a chance to eat lunch and I notice I absolutely cannot taste anything. I can smell it just fine, just no taste. Its hot soup, but I cannot feel the heat on my mouth or lips.

I mention it to my husband and idly between other activities we google the symptoms. The top items that come up are stroke or something else that I can't remember at the moment. I slowly start to panic (we'd recently had an acquaintance who had a stoke) and end up leaving work to head to the ER.

Funny enough, when a 40 something woman walks into an ER saying that one side of her face has gone numb, she jumps straight to the head of the line.

I gave samples of just about every body fluid its possible for someone to give. They gave me an EKG, and MRI, and whole batteries of other tests.

Five hours later I'm sitting there bored and scared (its amazing how those two things can combine) when the doctor walks in. EKG is fine. No sign of stroke in the MRI or brain tumors. (*whew*)
    "However, there are two lesions near the base of your brain. You have MS. Here's a referral to a neurologist." My jaw drops and I stare at him uncomprehendingly.

Fast forward a couple of weeks and my face is still numb and I still can't taste anything. I'm also a nervous wreck. I finally get in to see the neurologist and he says he doesn't think its MS. (*whew*) He mentions vitamin deficiencies like B12 but also wants to schedule me for a spinal tap (just to verify there isn't a problem there). So I give a bunch more blood and walk away thinking that a vitamin deficiency is way more preferable to MS.

So time passes again and I read up on all sorts of things that can happen with vitamin deficiencies. Some of those are down right scary. The feeling has since returned to my face and I can taste again. Now I get periodic bouts where the same area of my face would tingle really strongly, I would get a metallic taste in my mouth, and for a brief moment of time I would feel like someone has turned gravity down. This would last for a minute or two and then stop. My right hand seems to want to fall asleep easily and its a bugger to get the feeling back, sometimes taking 5-10 minutes of moving my arm around, etc. Its a total pain when it happens while I'm driving or trying to take notes.

There's an issue scheduling the spinal tap, so I go back to the doctor before that happens. Nothing abnormal in the blood tests. In the mean time I've started taking supplements. He straightens out the scheduling issue and off I go.

So I have the spinal tap. The facial stuff has eased off and now I just periodically get a tingling sensation on my lip. I am now, however, also getting tingling sensations in my lower legs and feet. This comes and goes, though when it comes it seems to last for a few days at a time. I am also exhausted. Not sleepy exhausted, but bone weary, physically worn out, weak as a baby, like someone has turned up gravity to 3 times normal tired. At times its even too much effort to sit in a chair. I wonder if this isn't B12 anyway and consider asking him to check my levels again.

A few more weeks and I'm back at the neurologist. The spinal tap came back positive for Oligoclonal Bands. Specifically "greater than 5 well defined gamma restriction bands that are not present in the patient's corresponding serum sample". Those words have been burned into my brain.

So we schedule another MRI. This one also including the c-spine both with and without contrast. He also schedules a second spinal tap to assure there wasn't a false positive.

I have since gotten the results back from the spinal tap. They are the same as before.
    Positive for Oligoclonal bands.
    Neuromyelitis Optica IgG is negative (rules out Devic's disease).
    IgG Index is high.
    Something is definitely going on in my central nervous system.

So here I sit until I go back to the neurologist on Tuesday. I've been dealing with everything pretty well, but now that its close to my appointment time, I find my anxiety levels are rising. I've also been thinking back to see if maybe something like this has happened before. Honestly, if it hadn't been for me loosing my sense of taste, I don't think I would have thought too much about it. I wonder if there's something I have missed in my past.

I'm still so very tired. I used to love to go for evening walks. I'd do 2-3 miles and enjoy the quiet evening. Now I drag myself along making bargains just a little bit further then you can turn around and go home. The muscles on my thighs are so tight they ache and little I do seems to help. Face has been behaving itself, though the tingling in my feet and lower legs is still there.

I have no idea if this is MS, though there are enough signs to make it a possibility. I don't want a MS diagnosis, but I am tired of feeling this way and I just want to know what is going on.

Anyway, just wanted to vent a little at someone who might understand.

Hello Kit, and welcome to MS World! Sorry for the reason. Your testing points to MS. You might want to go onto the National MS Society's website and read up on the medications because that is the next step. I have brainstem lesions too. Have the thing on my face, and the taste thing too. Weird huh? I was just telling someone else on here that you have to try and eat spicy food when that is present to drown out the weird taste.

Anyway, after you go to the NMSS website, you can go to the individual websites to read about each of the medications, their side effects, safety records, etc. Then come back here and read up on medications here. Just a warning, people tend to post bad side effects on this site. Those with no side effects tend not to post, so you may get a disproportionate negative reaction to drugs here, but good to know about the side effects.

Your o-bands along with your MRI suggest MS. Your neurologist will go over this with you. I hope that things go well when you see him/her. I would read about it as much as possible in the next couple of days. It is not as scary as it seems.

Ask as many questions as you want, that is what we are here for.

Take care
    Lisa
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

Working...
    X