Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Making Progress- Hyperintensity or Lesion on MRI?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making Progress- Hyperintensity or Lesion on MRI?

Hey there, I have posted a few times in this forum, just checking in to ask a question. All of my MRI's have come back normal- Brain, Cervical spine, Thoracic spine, and Lumbar spine. Except on my doctors report I saw this: MRI C-spine: No compelling evidence for cord signal abnormality. However, given history on saggital STIR image 7 there is a region of hyperintensity within the ventral cord at the C1/2 level.

Does a hyperintensity= a lesion? Perhaps the beginnings of one? Or can it signify any other neurological problem perhaps.

My neurologist did not mention this in the appointment, I don't know why. I had an open and closed MRI done on my neck and it is possible that he did not see the results of the closed MRI. Anyway just wanted to ask those of you familiar with this sort of thing, if it is a lesion does that mean anything?

Thanks so much in advance!

A hyperintensity is not a lesion but an area of brightness in the anterior area of the spine in your case. This is why your neurologist is not mentioning this to you. You can have brightness on an MRI for a variety of reasons, mostly fluid. I would ask your doc straight up why these areas are there and get his/her reaction. They will know better why these bright areas are there. But, don't worry about it. Your radiologist would have said "consistent with MS", which it isn't, but he would have said it.

Best of luck to you in the search for your diagnosis.

Take care
    Lisa
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

Working...
    X