RRMSers Questions for you!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RRMSers Questions for you!

It's been 4 weeks since I had my "episode" and got all numb up top. I have a confirmed active C2 lesion.

I know that a flare is considered when symptoms last for more than 24 hours.

My question to the RRMSers (present or past) is how long does it usually take before you get anything back?

Maybe I should ask how long is a reasonable period to hope for healing?

Also, I haven't had any IV steroids, Neuro is hesitant to use them as all my symptoms are mostly sensory.

Do IV steroids help you heal faster? I can't find information on whether or not they actually help recovery or just shorten recovery possibly. I have read many posts here when IV did nothing.

Thanks ahead of time, I'm a worrier.

Hi Kaitar,

Steroids are used for acute exacerbations, however, not all exacerbations require steroids. Steroids reduce inflammation.

Steroids do not change the outcome of the disease but they might shorten an exacerbation. Unfortunately, this is not always the case. In some cases exacerbations will resolve when it is ready to do so.

Many Neurologist's will not prescribe steroids for sensory symptoms. Sensory symptoms can come and go on their own. Unfortunately, numbness can also become permanent.

Maybe I should ask how long is a reasonable period to hope for healing?
    It is different for each person and each exacerbation.

My exacerbations lasted 4 to 6 weeks (with and without steroids) with recovery taking longer. Recovery for me was regaining my ability to walk.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Thanks

Snoopy,

Love your handle name btw. Thanks for the info. I am not familiar with RRMS and what flares are exactly. My sister is PPMS with some "relaspses" added in, which I think is a ridiculous name since her disease activity is continuous. It's what the neuro labels them when she has a worsening episode.

I'm just getting all anxious lately, which is unusual. I've even had 3 panic attacks (only ever occurred after a car accident before).

I'm a scientist so like to battle the unknown by gathering information and studying it. It's a hard task with MS since there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.

Sorry about the rant and thanks again.

Anyone else, feel free to weigh in.

Comment

My first flare was ON, I waited a day before calling my eye doc. I was given oral prednisone, and it cleared within 3 days which was good since i was in college.

My second flare was 4 yrs later when my balance was horrible, I did not think to call neuro at the time.

Almost 19 yrs after dx i have horrible balance, legs are weak easily, and I have numbness and tingling in both legs and feet for 8 yrs daily.

I took solumedrol 4 yrs ago when I was barely walking, and i got worse on 2nd day w/ that, then little better few wks later.

Comment

Hey Kaitar

For my RRMS - Day 1 was first symptom (numb fingers). For about 2 weeks it spread/got worse (went on STD from work).

Weeks 3 and 4 it was pretty constant pain/evil hell.

Weeks 4-8 I slowly started recovering (although I never got my hands back). It was funny but I swear it happened in the exact same order but in reverse.

I spent the next 4-5 weeks just resting. While at that point I didnt get any better physically, the fatigue held me down. I think I went back to work (with my new normal) after about a total of 13 weeks.
          RRMS Diagnosed Halloween 2013
          Betaseron

Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend....never owned a dog

Comment

Thanks!

Thank you for the information.

Comment

Working...
            X