Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vertigo and other ear/facial symptoms???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vertigo and other ear/facial symptoms???

Let me start with a brief background. About 3 years ago, I developed progressive weakness and numbness in my arms and legs. Was admitted to the hospital for 4 days when I became unable to walk due to ataxia. lumbar puncture was negative. MRI showed nonspecific T2 changes in periventricular white matter (which every neuroligist I have seen attributes to artifact). I have seen 3 neurologists who all say it is not MS because none of my tests were abnormal. They all believe I have conversion disorder (not sure if this could cause clonus and hyper-reflexia, but I went with it), so I was started on antidepressants and gabbapentin for spasticity. Symptoms finally abatated, and it has taken 3 years to get my strength back. I still have symptoms of fatigue,heat intolerance, and exhaustion after exercise, but I push through this.

I would say that I have been doing really well for the past year. Then about a week ago I began having vertigo with the room spinning when I move my head. Figured I had an ear infection, so I went to my PCP. My ears were fine, and he said it is benign positional vertigo that would go away in a couple of days (gave meclizine, which makes me too drowsy with little kids). Two days ago I developed this lancing pain and pressure in my left ear (feels like a hot ice pick being driven into my ear), a loud hissing sound which makes it difficult to discriminate speech, and sensitivity to sound. Last night the left side of my face went numb.

Does this sound like symptoms that any of you have had? I am starting to feel like a hypochondriac. The last "bout" left me with $8,000 in medical bills (after insurance) only to be told it is "in my head". So I am afraid to go for more testing and only be told there is nothing wrong with me.

so I guess I am just waiting around for "the big one". Limbo is such a confusing, discouraging, isolated place.

The vertigo you are describing does sound like BPPV. The best thing you can do is to see an ENT doctor. They can do a couple of tests on you in the office - simple tests - that can tell if your dizziness is peripheral (ear) or central (brain), before you need another 7,000 dollar MRI. They are very good at sorting it out by looking at your eyes and their movement.

I have central vertigo. It doesn't matter where I turn my head, it is with me constantly (from a pontine lesion). My husband however has BPPV, and he can get dizzy after a wrong turn of the head (could be any turn), he gets the weird sounds, I don't as I don't have an ear problem. Now when I first had this lesion form it formed around my 8th nerve (hearing nerve) and my ear felt numb inside...but no weird noises.

I would go ask an ENT. There are better medications for BPPV than Meclizine.

Good luck!
    Take care
    Lisa
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

Thank you so much. I will do that.

Comment

Working...
      X