My PCP can't diagnose me right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My PCP can't diagnose me right?

So I've been referred to a neurologist after seeing a doctor for the first time in years.
    It really isn't a surprise, I went to the ER late last summer after a really strange headache and a half numb tongue and they did an mri to check for a stroke. The ER reffered me to a Neurologist but when i phoned for the appointment i was told without insurance i would need 160 dollars to walk through the door, and that was a discount program.
    So i didnt go.
    Anyway i was finally able to get insurance and went to my new pcp and after telling him about my neurological symptoms and him viewing the mri he got really uncomfortable like he didnt know what to say, and then tells me"you have a disease called multiple sclerosis. There are some new treatments but i can't treat you for this condition it has to be treated by a neurologist. " and refers me. The neuro couldnt get me in until april.

I guess what I'm asking is is my regular doctor isn't qualified to diagnose neurological conditions right?

Thank you so much,
    Krissy

Hello Krissy and welcome to MSWorld

From what you have written your PCP has assumed MS without doing any other testing(?) and based on one MRI(?).

There is no single test, by it's self, that can indicate MS.

There needs to be other testing to rule in/out other conditions which can have the same type of symptoms as MS. There are also other conditions that can cause abnormalities on a MRI.

You may have MS or you may not but the best Dr. to determine this is a Neurologist, not a PCP.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Welcome Krissy! I am in complete agreement with Snoopy's reply to you. A neuro is best qualified to diagnose you. Here is an article from the NMSS detailing the diagnostic tools used for determining if it's MS or not. http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Sym...agnosing-Tools

And here is an article from the Am. Academy of Neurology on how best to prepare for a visit with the neuro. http://patients.aan.com/go/preparingforanofficevisit

Hope all goes well with your appointment in April. Feel free to explore all of our forums and keep in touch. Let us know how the appt goes!
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

It was based on an mri from about six months ago, my description of weird seemingly unconnected(to me anyway)syptoms that come on for a while and then go. and the symptom he seemed most interested in was getting hot making me really sleepy confused and blurry eyed.
        and he did some kind of test where he pet my arms and legs and asked if it felt the same on both sides.
        I do have an appt. with the neurologist on April 2. Sure he'll do more tests. Just the doctor put MS in my chart. i went back for a different issue after that happened and noticed on my way out of the office that my printout lists "Multiple Sclerosis:Active" in the active conditions section right next to alergic rhinitis,cause:unspecified. it kind of freaked me out. Like my MRI must SCREAM MSor.. my doctor's an idiot
        I have a LOT of symptoms.

Comment

Hi Krissy,

MRI must SCREAM MSor.. my doctor's an idiot
          I have a LOT of symptoms.
          I'm sure your PCP is not an idiot. Although MS was mentioned your PCP, without further testing, could not possibly give you a diagnosis.

Did your PCP have the MRI report? Did he explain the MRI and the report with you? Be sure the Neurologist has both the MRI (film or CD) and the MRI report before your appointment or take them in when you see the Neurologist.

You may have a lot of symptoms but there are no symptom(s) which are unique to MS as there are numerous causes for symptoms that are listed for MS.

Best wishes in your diagnostic journey.
          Diagnosed 1984
          “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

It's all in the same hospital network, so when they pull up my records its just "there" in their computer system. He said he was looking at my mri but no he didn't go over it at all.

i was really out of it that day, and at the time was pretty thrilled that the doctor wasn't blowing off my symptoms, because almost everyone else i've tried to talk to(not doctors, just people in my life) have basically said it's all in my head.

I wasn't really asking if i should assume i have MS based on what the doctor said. I haven't "had" a doctor since i was a kid, other than my midwife when i was pregnant. What I thinking I'm really asking about is,while I liked him initially,in retrospect, maybe i should get a different doctor?
            Sorry if I'm not being clear, its really hard for me to organize my thoughts lately.
            Thank you so much for your support.
            Krissy

Comment

Also, MS wasnt just mentioned.he said "you have multiple sclerosis"

Comment

I'm really asking about is,while I liked him initially,in retrospect, maybe i should get a different doctor?
                It depends.

If you are questioning your PCP based on MS then you might wait.

For the most part PCPs are not that familiar or understand MS, although they think they do I have never based staying or not staying with a PCP based on what they may or may not know about MS. That's what I have a Neurologist for

If you are questioning the (general) care you are receiving then looking for a new PCP might be advisable.
                Diagnosed 1984

Comment

Krissy - if you like your new PCP and think he is going to be a good fit for you, you should keep him. Especially if you've finally found one who doesn't blow off your symptoms! Believe me, I've had in the past a regular dr who have said it was all in my head and it's great to find one who really listens. He doesn't sound like an idiot, but one who is trying to help you get to the bottom of your problems.

But, you will still need to see your neuro. Best of luck to you on April 2nd
                  1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                  Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

All of the replies that have been posted are great. No one has mentioned that there are many MS 'mimics'. Your PCP should have tested for vitamin D deficiency and Lyme disease along with several other blood tests. Your PCP, probably, doesn't have the training or expertise to diagnose MS. I would bet, without any other prior knowledge of you, that your vitamin D level is lower than 50 ng/mL.
                    Keep checking the boards. They are full of good information. Good luck.

Comment

Well my experience is a little different. My PCP blew off a few issues, especially my first couple years with him, but not all. It was in 2009 that a new eye doc opened the MS can-o-worms and suggested I needed a neuro. When that got back to my fam doc, he called me in ASAP to give me a pep talk, "MS it fits" were his very words. He pushed for me to get a full proper work up and eventually I did.

Remember it takes TIME for even a good doc to get to know and understand you, and you them as well. IS my fam doc perfect, NO, but he is good and we understand each other, he is the best I have ever had. (note: I did leave him for another doc early on, but soon went right back and stayed)

Gomer good docs are HARD to find.

Comment

My pcp told me I had MS.

My pcp gave me this diagnosis over the phone. I remember taking her call one morning as I was getting my kids their breakfast and she just tells me that I have MS based on the mri report.

I am glad that I am not a panicky person, because this could have really freaked me out. She made an emergency appointment with a neurologist who completely blew me off. His diagnosis and the one I saw a year and a half later said that I was overworking and admitted to being depressed (absolutely did not).

I focused on MS at the time because it did fit. After feeling better and being told that I did not have it, I sat it aside until new symptoms. Made an appointment for neurologist due to severe headache that had my face and head painful to the touch and facial spasms.

He immediately did the full work up and several months later was diagnosed. Go with your gut. We go to these doctors because we have symptoms.

Comment

Hi Krissy! While your PCP may be correct it's unlikely the neurologist will simply rubber-stamp his diagnosis. The neurologist will probably want to perform their own examination, tests and determine their own diagnosis. This should be more exhaustive than what your PCP performed, but may come up with the same result.

I am glad you found MSWorld and hope you will continue to update us on your status. The members here will walk with you each step of the process and both laugh and cry with you. This is a phenomenal place with caring and knowledgeable people. I wish you well ...

Comment

Working...
                          X