Clear All

Where do I start...... :)

Here is my history

March 2011
    -Nerve pain in feet and hands developed when pregnant
    -Had normal induced birth due to blood pressure rise
    -Nerve pain continued and only happened with motion

January 2012
    -Freaked out I had ALS or something similar. Severe anxiety started. I've always had health anxiety for about the past 8 years.
    -Went to neuro. He ran all tests. MRI of brain and spine. Did nerve test and emg. All normal and the nerves performed better than normal according to him. Said peripheral neuropathy I guess just based on what I told him.
    -Just dealt with things and tried to ignore it.
    -The nerve pain in the hands and feet went away and/or substantially subsided.

November 2012
    -My mom (52) went in the hospital for liver chorosis. I started having a buzzing sensation in both feet and calves that is constant. I still have this today. She passed away a few days after Christmas. Emotions have been horrible and anxiety very hightened ever since.

January 2013
    -Yearly neuro checkup. All looked normal to him. MRI of brain done again. Normal. Told him about the buzzing/vibration and he wasn't concerned.

February 2014
    -Shooting nerve pain in right foot when extended and twisted. Buzzing continues. Can feel it in my hands when I'm really worked up. My buzzing did go away one night after a solid 8 hours of sleep. I've never felt SO good after that!

-Ankle pain in the same foot and nerve pain off and on.

I sleep terribly. Haven't slept 8 consecutive hours in 3 years.
    -Went for neuro check up because my anxiety was so high. All was normal. Reflexes in knees overactive possibly from anxiety because I have a general anxiety disorder, physical anxiety, and hypochondria.

I'm having a VERY hard time accepting that I don't know what has caused the nerve pain from pregnancy. I constantly think this is MS/ALS and I'm going to be taken away from my family and 2 year old daughter. Neuro said if it was something bad I would've had more symptoms by now.

Thank you for your time!

Any thoughts? Do these symptoms seem more like MS or something else? I'm trying to decided if I should seek another opinion.

Thanks!!

Comment

Hello andrealw and welcome to MSWorld.

You seem to have had a lot going on in your life. My deepest sympathies on the passing of your Mother

When you have MS symptoms are not induced or improved by a change in position. Many of us wish our symptoms could be helped or avoided in that way, but it is not to be

Is your anxiety being treated? If not, you may want to work with a Psychiatrist to find a medication or a combination of medications to decrease your anxiety. A Psychotherapist would also be helpful.

Information about Anxiety/Panic attack symptoms:
      http://www.anxietycentre.com/anxiety-symptoms.shtml

Said peripheral neuropathy I guess just based on what I told him.
      Don't assume as to why your Neurologist said Peripheral Neuropathy (PN), ask him how he has come to this diagnosis. PN can happen without any underlying disease or health condition.

You may also want to see your Primary Care Physician to do blood work which can rule in/out many causes for the symptoms you are having.

Other possible causes could possibly vitamin/mineral deficiencies and other health issues easily found through routine blood work.

Some medications can cause Neurological type symptoms. If you are on any medications it would be a good idea to research side effect and if any of your symptoms are listed "side effects" please discuss this concern with your prescribing Doctor.

Medline is a good website to look up medications and possible side effects:
      http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginformation.html

Best wishes
      Diagnosed 1984
      “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Originally posted by andrealw View Post
        Here is my history

March 2011
        -Nerve pain in feet and hands developed when pregnant
        -Had normal induced birth due to blood pressure rise
        -Nerve pain continued and only happened with motion

January 2012
        -Freaked out I had ALS or something similar. Severe anxiety started. I've always had health anxiety for about the past 8 years.
        -Went to neuro. He ran all tests. MRI of brain and spine. Did nerve test and emg. All normal and the nerves performed better than normal according to him. Said peripheral neuropathy I guess just based on what I told him.
        -Just dealt with things and tried to ignore it.
        -The nerve pain in the hands and feet went away and/or substantially subsided.

November 2012
        -My mom (52) went in the hospital for liver chorosis. I started having a buzzing sensation in both feet and calves that is constant. I still have this today. She passed away a few days after Christmas. Emotions have been horrible and anxiety very hightened ever since.

January 2013
        -Yearly neuro checkup. All looked normal to him. MRI of brain done again. Normal. Told him about the buzzing/vibration and he wasn't concerned.

February 2014
        -Shooting nerve pain in right foot when extended and twisted. Buzzing continues. Can feel it in my hands when I'm really worked up. My buzzing did go away one night after a solid 8 hours of sleep. I've never felt SO good after that!

-Ankle pain in the same foot and nerve pain off and on.

I sleep terribly. Haven't slept 8 consecutive hours in 3 years.
        -Went for neuro check up because my anxiety was so high. All was normal. Reflexes in knees overactive possibly from anxiety because I have a general anxiety disorder, physical anxiety, and hypochondria.

I'm having a VERY hard time accepting that I don't know what has caused the nerve pain from pregnancy. I constantly think this is MS/ALS and I'm going to be taken away from my family and 2 year old daughter. Neuro said if it was something bad I would've had more symptoms by now.

Thank you for your time!
        You've had quite a lot of stress the past few years. If your neuro is keeping close tabs on you and says it's not MS, then perhaps you should talk to a therapist to help calm your fears. If physical symptoms progress, then by all means see your doctor.

Sometimes talking to someone can help us deal and put things in perspective.

Good luck,
        Bree

Comment

I can't really speak to the symptoms (I'm in limbo so not well versed in this). Your symptoms have been experienced by those with ms, but also by those with other things as well. Certainly, I think most people with ms have weakness and you haven't mentioned that.

Is your anxiety treated? Anxiety can make things worse.

Your primary should send you for a sleep study because chronic sleep deprivation can have serious results and affect many organs (brain, heart etc.). Not sleeping could be anxiety, but it also can be obstructive or central sleep apea (or both). Contrary to popular myth, you can have sleep apnea even if you don't snore (waves hand). Because you mentioned the improvement with sleep, I think that's a really good first step at this point.

I'm assuming you've had a lot of the rule out blood work? You've only mentioned a neuro, but lots can be done at the PCP level if it hasn't been.

Hope it goes well for you as you pursue this.

Comment

Hi.....
            I'm in limbo as well. I really understand about not getting answers.

A couple ideas...maybe get a second opinion. You could ask your primary Dr. to go to PT for some work on the back,legs. Maybe that person could help with the pain. I went to a PT and was tought to use a TENS unit to help with my pain and spasms.

I hope this note finds you well. You only truly know your own body and when it is not right YOU KNOW! I believe you. Take a breath and hug your baby. Take one thing at a time.

I have anxiety as well. Make sure to have those Dr. aps. to. Are you on correct meds. and doses?

Very sorry about your mom. You have sure been through a lot.

Well i hope your doing well.
            Sending hugs your way.

Take Care.....

Comment

Nutrition

I am in limbo too but in this process I have already discovered that my Vit D levels are practically non-existent. I have been stressed and depressed for 2 years and come to find that vitamin deficiency has made all this worse!

Go to you PCP and ask for a nutritional workup. B12 and D in particular. These would have been zapped out when you were pregnant and may never have recovered!

Comment

Working...
              X