New to MS...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to MS...

My MS experience seems very different from most I've read, and I'm not sure how/if to prepare for my next doctor visit.

I was diagnosed suddenly about 3 months ago after a single vertigo episode. After failing a preliminary neuro exam in the ER (finger to nose test), the doctor ordered an MRI, which showed lesions, then a lumbar puncture which was positive for whatever it is they are looking for to diagnose MS.

I never suspected anything, so I hadn't done any research before my first appointment with the neurologist (where I received the diagnosis).

My second visit is coming up along with a 3-mo MRI. I've maybe had a little tingling and/or numbness, but nothing so severe that I may have just ignored it in the past (pre diagnosis).

Any recommendations for questions/prep for my next appt? Does it matter where the lesions are? or how many? I've seen people indicate this on other posts... what does it tell me anything to know how many or where the lesions are?

My symptoms are very mild at the most, and my neuro recommended waiting until this visit to discuss medications (other than vitamin D).

Anything I should prepare before my visit? Should I track the occasional mild numbness? What should I expect on this visit? More "finger to nose" testing, blood, etc.?

Hi Mack1z and welcome to MS world! I am sorry about your diagnosis but welcome to the club. I was diagnosed suddenly like you. I had had some forewarning in that a neurologist had mentioned "MS" to me years before, but I thought: No way.

Anyway, as for your next appointment, just bring a note about your tingling, especially tingling that lasts >24 hours and is continuous as this counts as an exacerbation. If you do have symptoms that last >24 hours and are continuous, call your neurologist as you may need steroids.

At your appointment they will do a general neurological exam. Check your reflexes, finger-nose, heel-shin, eye movements, they will look into your eyes, you will have to walk for them, they will to a romberg test, heel-toe walking in straight line, walk on heels, then walk on toes. They may draw blood if needed, but not usually if you are already diagnosed.

Since you are going to be talking about medications, it would be a good idea to go the the National MS Society's website and read about each of the medications, then come on here and read about each of the meds in the medication section (warning: on this site you will hear more of the negative side, people don't often post about how good they feel on meds.) Then you can go in with a good idea of what you may want to start with.

I hope your second appointment goes well. Please let us know how it goes for you, OK?

Take care
    Lisa
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

Working...
    X