Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does MS 'diagnosis' help spouse in understanding your symptoms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does MS 'diagnosis' help spouse in understanding your symptoms?

For those who have been diagnosed...did the diagnosis help your spouse, to better understand your symptoms? My hubby is very compassionate in most instances, but he is also an engineer...therefore, he likes 'facts'.

I know it can take a long time to actually be diagnosed, but I feel like, if I am dx'd with MS (or anything else!), it would help my hubby to 'believe it' more. I hope that makes sense to someone here. Being in limbo, it also tough, I think, for the spouse (because they can't 'see' a lot of the symptoms). Thank you. Love and Light. Jan.

I hope so . Yes, it is very difficult for our men who like to "fix" things. The fatigue in particular is one of those things that is hard for them to see -- they just see what isn't getting done. And because there is not yet an official reason ... well, you understand.

With you in limbo, and looking forward to other responses ... .

Comment

Hi,

I hope so, I'm still in limbo. I find hubby is on his own "roller coaster ride". He's very sensitive to my needs, but I do hear the frustration in his voice cause we want answers. I feel as if he gets moody cause he wants me to feel better but it's out of his control.

Hope you get some answers soon!

p.s. Hi Aspen! How have you been doing feeling?

Minnie76

Comment

Sometimes it doesn't change. It depends on the person. It doesn't mean they don't love you or understand you. It usually means they don't want to think about it. How could you have some debilitating disease? Nope, not possible. So they may choose to ignore it, not read anything about it. This too may happen with other family members. Again, it doesn't mean they don't love you, it just usually means they are afraid. The same thing that is going on now. You may want to try taking them with you to your Dr's appointment, support group, or ask them to sign up online here.

Best of luck with everything!
        Take care
        Lisa
        Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
        SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
        Tysabri

Comment

It definitely helped us both because it explained why I wasn't "getting better" and then we could both read more and learn about MS.

Comment

Originally posted by minnie76 View Post
            Hi,
            p.s. Hi Aspen! How have you been doing feeling?
            Minnie76
            I am okay, Minnie ... just have to seriously manage my energy during the day or else things go south quickly. I'm working right now and hope I can continue.

How are you doing/feeling? You should definitely come to patiently waiting chat tomorrow night ... we could talk more . 8 p.m. EST.

Comment

Thanks for your responses, all...glad to know I am not the only one wondering about this topic.

I agree with you, Misslux...I hope when we get a diagnosis, then he will be more interested in learning about it.

Thanks again, all! Love and Light. Jan.

Comment

I was lucky. Getting the diagnosis helped me a lot with my husband. He now says things like, this isn't your fault.

Not everyone is so fortunate.

Comment

Pipes...I am thinking, that might be my hubby's response, too...whenever we, hopefully, get a diagnosis. Thanks much. Love and Light...Jan.

Comment

Originally posted by aspen View Post
                    You should definitely come to patiently waiting chat tomorrow night ... we could talk more . 8 p.m. EST.
                    Ummm ... PW was last night. Yesterday was Wednesday. Who knew . So yes, Wednesdays at 8 EST.

Comment

Hoping we all get answers soon! I'm sure are loved ones will have some sort of relief to!

Aspen, I'm working tonight so unfortunately I wont be able to chat

Minnie76

Comment

That is how I feel. If I had a diagnosis for the past almost 4 years of symptoms, then he would understand and we could talk about it. I'm new here. Finally had to talk to someone!

Comment

I'm the oddball, as usual!! To answer your question... no, nope, non, nada, née, pú shi, nej....

Jen
                          RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
                          "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

In a word; No!
                            Made no difference at all.

Comment

I'm so sorry, CatMom and TommyLee. I can't imagine why it wouldn't.

Comment

Working...
                              X