Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do antibiotics worsen symptoms? (or create new ones)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do antibiotics worsen symptoms? (or create new ones)

Hi, all...I am having to start a round of Amoxicillin. I have had that in the past, many times, with no real side effects (and I am usually very sensitive to side effects of meds...I am that 'one percent', who gets the strange ones!...lol)

Anyway...after taking my first dose tonight (it might be a 'double dose'...not sure what the doseage was in the past), I am now feeling very rubbery and weak. I have felt weak before, in my arms and legs, but this is much more profound.

I am just curious what others here have experienced, re. antibiotics, and what they might cause, or not cause, in relation to my current 'limbo land', symptoms. Thanks all.

Oh...one good note...I saw my PCP today, and she agreed that she had tested me for all of the usual MS 'mimics' (all normal), and so she sat right there, and sent an electronic 'referral' to the Univ of New Mexico (I live in SD currently, but there is no MS place near me, so I am going to try UNM, where we just bought a 'winter home'), to their MS Specialty Clinic, to try and begin the process of getting me tested and diagnosed...or not. I am glad to finally be getting to this 'specialty' phase. One step at a time! Love and Light...Jan.

That happened to me too a few months ago! I was on Amoxicillin and metronidazole for 8 days and the entire time I was really weak and fatigued.

Comment

Thanks, Miss! I also just 'remembered' (duh!), that I also got a flu shot...the same day that I began the antibiotics. So, I am not sure which one is causing the shakes. I think I will discontinue the antibiotics for a couple days, to let the flu shot kick in, then I will take the rest of the antibiotics. We will be traveling soon, tho, and I don't want to be fatigued too badly, so I might ask my doc, if I can take the antibiotic, at a lower dose (my infection isn't real acute...just chronic).

Anyway....sorry to make a short story, long! Thanks again...good to know that I am not alone in having those symptoms! Love and Light...Jan.

Comment

Hello Jan,

Originally posted by gazdajl View Post
        I think I will discontinue the antibiotics for a couple days, to let the flu shot kick in, then I will take the rest of the antibiotics.
        Stopping antibiotics without prior Drs. approval is not recommended. You are making an assumption about the antibiotic which may not be true. In stopping an antibiotic you might be causing more problems since there was an obvious reason it was prescribed.

I saw my PCP today, and she agreed that she had tested me for all of the usual MS 'mimics' (all normal),
        That's great, gazdajl!

However, there is quite a bit of blood work a neuro will order (10 to 12, or more, vials) that will give much more information about other possible causes to symptoms than the blood work your PCP ran.

Do antibiotics worsen symptoms?
        Not usually.

For someone with MS an infection can cause a temporary increase of their MS symptoms. Due to this fact antibiotics can help a person with MS feel better both with the infection and MS symptoms.
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I agree with Snoopy that you should not discontinue your antibiotics without consulting your doctor. Even though it made me feel horrible, I stuck it out for 8 days. I didn't actually have an infection but it was for post dental work.

Comment

Snoopy, and Miss...thank you for your thoughtful advice. It is very helpful! Love and Light...Jan.

Comment

Working...
            X