Acupuncture??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acupuncture??

Hello. I was just diagnosed with MS a few weeks ago, Dec 27th to be exact. I have been reading about some of the things people do to relieve pain, symptoms, fatigue and so on. One thing I came across was acupuncture. Has anyone tried this, and how did it work?

Thank you for any responses in advance.

Lindsey

Yeah! I did and now swear by it.

I am an RRMS ret. Clinical Psychiatric RN and worked in both psych. and the pain clinic.

So I am Western trained and set in that mind set. After nothing else worked I tried Acc. The first treatment brought more relief than anything else I had tried.

I taught H.S. Health Sciences for seven years. On one of those "Bring your parent to school to teach days" one of my student's mom was an Accupuncturist. She demonstrated on her dau. After seeing it up close and how painless it was I was convinced that soon I would give it a try.

Not all but many of my pain-related symptoms were greatly relieved completely or at least mostly relieved. Now being an RN my curiosity got the best of me and I have done a lot of research on how it works beyond the Eastern Spiritual. As in real neurology.

It is amazing and I would and have done it again, repeatedly and IT WORKS!

Dave or as I am referred to in "Newbees" and "Limb-land" in here J-Man. (short for journeyman - I was a medical missionary to Central and South America hence my J-Man nick name. ) Tampa, FL

Comment

Hi Lindsey,

I'm in limbo, one of my symptoms are tingling/numbness and some weakness in hands and arms.

Don't have carpal tunnel, EMG and Nerve Conduction Test are normal.

Despite all this, I still have issues with my hands, however when I tried acupuncture, I found it was amazing! I hate needles, but would gladly recommend it.

My left arm was even more clammy then the right (left is worse) while the needles were in so something was happening!

Afterwards, it made my arms feel more "alive" if that makes any sense.

All the best,
      Minnie76

Comment

Acupuncture helped me with pain management. I was in a bad place where pain caused stress, stress caused more pain, rinse, repeat. Acupuncture was used in conjunction with pain management , physical therapy, heat/cold/tens, etc. I was still in pain -- just much lower than before.I had some of my best sleep during the 90-minute sessions and that too was beneficial. All benefits appeared to be transient in nature lasting only a few hours to about one-week. My pain level hasn't required acupuncture in quite some time, but I wouldn't hesitate to go back in a similar situation.

Like with doctors, not all acupuncturists are created equal and some are more mainstream and others "out there." It pays to do your homework and get a referral from a trusted source when possible.

Comment

I did and had some relief. I got it because of degenerative disk in my lower neck/upper back and found that it also helped my ms pains. Without the constant ache getting it started, the nerve problems from ms cleared up quite a bit and went back to relapsing and remitting like its supposed to.

I would do it more often, but my insurance won't cover it and it's about $80 a treatment here. But when my neck and back start tightening up enough that I know I need it treated, I will go in and have a couple accupuncture treatments for it. It only seems to get bad about every other year or so.

Comment

I tried acupuncture and it didn't help but it's worth a shot! Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Comment

I've had acupuncture treatments for years now for various issues:

General pain in different places
              muscle spasms
              PMS
              perimenopausal sx
              back issues - pinched nerve, sciatica,
              headaches
              even once when I was trying to keep the flu at bay - it reduced the time by half!

I'm like Marco in that I enjoyed and benefited from the sleep! One thing to keep in mind tho, it might take more than one or two treatments to help what ails you.

Hope you give it a try. I highly recommend it
              1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
              Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Go for Accu.

Five stars for it. Some of it was transient and some of the effects have last till now. Eight years later no pain in the area I had treated. Seems to depend on nerve grouping and reason you get it.

And YES they are not all created, gifted or equal. !!!

Dave/J-Man. Tampa, FL

Comment

Working...
                X