New here...three questions, pls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New here...three questions, pls

I am in the process of being dx'd...MRI of brain showed white matter indicative of demylinating disease. All 'mimics' have been ruled out.

I have so many questions I would like to ask, actually, but have tried to boil them down to three. They are very diverse. Thanks in advance to all, for any replies!

One...I have had these heavy legs, for at least three months, now...they get much worse after I have taken my dog on his daily walk. Sometimes, I am afraid I won't make it home, but after resting (in the snow), I do. I can't tell if this is just a flare-up after some initial attack. I have had many other symptoms in the past, but my brain can't focus enough to determine if any if them were an attack. I had my first real attack about three years ago...I thought I was having a stroke or something. Since then, I have had many symptoms, off and on, one after another, it seems. Or, maybe some kind of a progressive situation...I know that flare-ups can last for months or even a year (or is that attacks?). Anyway...I just don't know which it is...thanks. Sorry if I am not explaining this very well.

Second...does one have to have ON in order to have MS? I had a bout of really bad eye pain a while back, in my right eye, and my eye felt blurry, but the optometrist, said my eyes were fine.

Third...well, my fuzzy brain can't remember my third question now...sorry. thanks, all! Love and Light...Jan.

Hi gazdajl and welcome to MSWorld. You have come to a good place to gain some knowledge about MS.

For you question #1 - To have a true attack (or exacerbation, flare-up or relapse - they all mean the same), the attack must last at least 24 hours & be separated from the previous attack by at least 30 days. They can last from a few days to several weeks or months.

From the NMSS here is a link explaining an exacerbation: http://www.nationalmssociety.org/abo...ons/index.aspx On the right hand side it explains the difference betw a pseudoexacerbation or a true one.

Question #2 - no, you do not need to experience optic neuritis for a definite dx of MS - many of us have never had this kind of flare.

Question #3 - can't answer that one

Hope things go well for you with your dx process. Being in limbo is no fun!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Sasha...Thank you for your reply. I have seen that definition for an attack before, and I have kept an off and on, journal, about my symptoms...it is just that my brain is not 'processing' everything well enough, to put it 'together' in such a way, as to help my neurologist, understand my symptoms.

It just seems like one set of symptoms, runs into another set, etc. During one period of time, last year, each symptom seemed to last 2-3 weeks, then another one began. This went on for about three months (then everything went away, I think, for a while...maybe that three month period, would be called a flare, then?).

Now lately, it has pretty much been the heavy legs and extreme fatigue. I can tell that these symptoms definitely get worse, when I am stressed, etc. This has been going on since Oct.

I am having trouble explaining my concern, here...all of these varied symptoms, seem 'muddled' in my brain...I can't make my 'symptom history', clear-cut, for my neurologist (he said that based upon my previous 'summary of symptoms', that it isn't MS, because I said they were 'cycling'). I feel that I am not describing my symptoms accurately enough, but they have truly, been all over the place, it seems to me - maybe I should take the symptoms from my daily journal, and make a spreadsheet, of all of my symptoms. Sorry for the long post...I am trying to 'process' the best way to convey my particular sets of symptoms, to my neuro doc. Thanks for listening, all...and especially you, Seasha.! Jan.

Comment

MS exacerbations are >24 hours like Seasha said, they can last anywhere from just that 24 hours, to months. When they end, you may have residual symptoms like tingling, heaviness, etc. In MS, you should not get another "exacerbation" for at least 30 days.

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/abo...ons/index.aspx

This may be the same reference Seasha gave, but read the whole thing and it explains the >24 hours, 30 day in between thing. In progressive MS you just have a slowly worsening of symptoms which doesn't fit your cycling of symptoms either. Doing your spreadsheet sounds like a good idea. Let us know how it goes, OK?

Take care
        Lisa
        Moderation Team
        Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
        SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
        Tysabri

Comment

Working...
        X