Does this sound logical?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does this sound logical?

Hi all! My symptoms started about a month ago with fatigue and blurry vision, as well as tingling in my feet and hands. I kind of brushed them off until Monday of this week when the right side of my face went numb. Made an appt with my primary doc, she noticed delayed reflexes and weakness and sent me to a neurologist. The neurologist that I saw also noticed weakness but stated he only wanted to do a brain scan and if that comes back normal it would rule out MS and he would treat me for migraines. I'm 26, had migraines when I was 16 but none since and haven't had headaches with any of these symptoms so it seems off to me. Should I get a second opinion?

First let this neurologist get your MRI, if it comes back negative, you might want a second opinion just to see about the spine. That is two separate charges for you for an MRI, cervical and thoracic spine. Even though they do it all at the same time. Anyway, that is what I would do.

It makes no sense to get a second opinion now, you barely have a first. Just wait and see what the brain MRI says.

Good luck to you.

Take care
    Lisa
    Moderation Team
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

It's possible he meant optical migraines when he said that. I don't want to put words in his mouth,,just offering a possibility.

Comment

I have to agree with 22cyclist in that it doesn't make sense to get a second opinion when you've barely even had a first. I think it's best to let the neurologist do what needs to be done and come to some kind of conclusion first. Or in the words of the old song "just get out the way and let the gentleman do his thing".

The other thing I think it's important to get clear about is that "migraine" doesn't just mean pain. It also means a flood of chemicals and a lack of blood flow with associated symptoms, and that might or might not be accompanied by pain. There's something called a "silent migraine" that includes the symptoms of a migraine without the pain - and that doesn't just mean an ocular migraine with visual symptoms. A silent migraine can affect any part of the body. http://www.webmd.com/migraines-heada...graines?page=2

So it sounds like the best course of action is to let this neurologist finish your workup. Then if you still have questions you can get another opinion. One step at at time.

Comment

Working...
        X