X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Lounge Check-in, Dec 2013

Jingle Bells...
    ..(& Welcome) to.......Newbies Lounge
    a special weekly thread & haven for our family of newbies Dx'd w/MS and newbies at heart, or just want to help.

Being a newbie can be just as scary and lonely as being in limbo. When I first got my formal MS dx, I felt lost, alone and tossed into a sea of hungry sharks.

Take a well deserved break from your travels on the MSuper highway,(exit Rest Area 51) pull into a nice cozy shady parking spot, Unwind in our Newbies Lounge, pitch a tent or just lay out a blanket and enjoy the crisp cool fall air. Feel free to share your ideas, experiences and support to your fellow newbies. Relax, you are among friends, friends that understand. We have a virtual soap box, feel free to vent anytime.

Help yourself to fresh Holiday Cookies and donuts. The camp fire is roaring in the open pit ready for hot dogs, marshmallows and smore's . We have resident elves to serve you, cold or hot apple cider (even hard cider), pumpkin pie & Donuts galore, and more.

W
    e also have fresh cookies, (big Chocoholic here) and red velvet brownies, even fresh coffee, just follow the fresh aroma or just hang around visit and enjoy our company.

PLEASE.... Let US know how YOU, a member of our MS newbies family is doing.

Have a QUESTION? Please don't be shy........
    The only dumb stupid question........is the one NOT asked.

How was your Week?........
    Grand daughter came, at long last, this past week. So we now have 2 grandsons and 2 grand daughters, so far, and another grand in the oven due this spring. I sent down a double stroller for the babies just a couple weeks ago, they are going to NEED it.

Jman Dav...your grandson can talk circles around YOU? Even I find that hard to swallow....ha ha. I need to try and get down before Christmas if I can.

Any Dr. apts tests etc coming up?

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot (just slightly imperfect)

Att Mod:... This replaces Nov 2013 Sticky( thanx)

PS; Is anyone ever going to fix the log-in here? It can be a bit of a hassle (for me anywho) just trying to get on so I can post. This is a long standing issue.

I don't know if it's the quantity of speech...

as it is the volume and the assertiveness. He is pretty verbally aggressive. Get's it from his Dad > from me. But the Kid wins.

Looking forward to your trip south if you can. Need to get together this year.
    Dave
    J-Man Tampa, Fl
    L

Comment

BBBlllooooggg.

On depression and suicide for my friend on the Limbo page.
      It's long but I have confided some things that may be helpful for people suffering with depression and suicidal thoughts or attempts. I think it is worth the long read.
      I am becoming more of a blogger than an poster. Something that was impossible at one time. Now I just hope to help some of you out there who helped me to survive.
      Love you all and all of you are in my prayers for perseverance, foresight and need someone to hold your hand through all the pain whether it be physical or emotional.
      Please check it out.

Dave or J-Man. Tampa Fl. 80 degrees / no winter this year. My garden loves it. We are still eating from it after two years.

Comment

J-man Dave.........
        I do not think I will be able to make it down this year. Maybe after new years, maybe???? I have been cutting own getting out and about. Its getting harder (hurts) for me to get my scooter in & out of the car. MY arm and elbow have been bothering me more from it. I still do what I NEED to get out and do, but have stopped going to the MS dinners, local MS support group etc.

While I try and put on a face, I am becoming too frustrated (mainly at the VA) angry and bitter inside. I am considering on passing the Newbies Lounge torch to someone else, probably YOU? (if you are willing). In a way its been therapeutic, but with my own complex situation its hard for me to be the supportive person for others, the way I feel I should be.

Comment

Newbie in limbo land here!

I have another test today, neurologist said that now she wants to "rule in" MS rather than just wait and see.

Feeling very overwhelmed and a bit depressed, to be honest. At first, when MS was brought up as a possibility, I felt like "hey, I can handle this, I have to!" but as time goes on, my mind won't shut up and I just want to take a break from thinking about it!

Comment

Hojita...

Welcome in here. We have all been there - some of us more than once. Being an RN one would have thought it would have given me preparation for the dx.

I just knew something was wrong. I didn't feel bad but the loss of sight in my rt. eye was what was concerning me being a photographer and artist.

Three docs just walked into my room. Fortunately I was with my wife. They just pronounced me. "You have MS." There was very little discussion or explanation from them. They must have thought me being an RN I would understand it.

There were tears in my wife's eyes and they were welling over. I said to her "No big deal. We'll deal with it." - not having a clue what was in store for me. In after-sight I was un-knowledgeable. I was cardiac and psych. trained.

I was in shock also. It was months before reality and all the accompanying emotions hit me. I plummeted to the bottom. My wife, best friend, care taker and mentor held on to me and kept me from sinking. It was not easy but I am here now and happy. I thank God and my wife for that.

You can do it and we are here for you. Don't feel like a Newbee. We are all Newbees every day. Just know this site exists for us all. I get fed and supported each day I come here. So Welcome.
            Dave or just J-Man in Tampa, FL

Keep 'em coming (guys.) Not gender specific. !!

Comment

GOMER !!!

You are the joy and substance here. Even if it is rare we want you here. I am just a nobody without you. You are my mentor.

You have taught me to stand when I couln't. You have lifted me up when I couldn't even get out of bed.

I do understand your physical condition. I am in sorrow that you are hurting so much. Who will tell me to stay off of the roof and ladders?

I am honored that you think I could do this but I am just a teacher. I need your humor and experience. You have a PhD. in life and how to deal with things.

You have been here so much for us - now let us be here for you. If you have to quit - I understand but deeply want you to know we are here for you at this time. As I've told someone else today - even if you can just write "I'm hurting today." and sign it Gomer. We can read between the lines and send you or love and support.

Dave or as you have named me J-Man.

Comment

J-man STAY OFF ROOFS & LADDERS, that an order from HQ!

Where did I get J-man from? Simple I am too lazy to type out journeyman (oops sorry).

Dav... my problem is I have far too many problems. It might help if I could see just one foot candle of light at the end of the endless tunnel. Sometimes I wonder if I am coming or going if not falling off the cliff, not notes.

You are well aware I have been fighting the VA and fighting with PVA just trying to get them to help. I had to make a trip to Detroit even to get a simple acknowledgement I even filed my appeal, still no response about my request for a hearing. Even that was a (what I call) southern gentleman type stab in the back visit. another way to put it is they refuse to do even a token of their job all the while all the time smiling to your face.

I tried to see the DAV SO at the AA VA, but he refused to even consider taking my case. Stated reason was PVA has my records and he was not going to bother. SO I am stuck with a worthless PVA (anti-advocate?) in the bottom of the barrel for vets of ALL 50 states & even US territories.

Then I have the ransacking of my Lakeland place, and I am just too worn down to fight with the ins co. (an cruel joke). It seems the more I try the worse'r things get.

That's the tip of the iceberg (not lettuce) anywho.

Gomer * Sir Falls-a-lot

Comment

So sad to hear all that.

When I get this kind of crap I write and call my Congress people. I had a month-long problem once - placed a call and heard from the Senator's office next day and the problem was resolved the following.

I recommend a well worded editorial to your newpaper about the treatment of our Vets.

A call AND a letter to your Congress people.

And I just bet that a short note and that you are a voter to President Obama might (miraculously and unbelieveablably) might prompt a response. Not from him personally but he may delegate. (Even if you don't like him.)

My professor at Dartmouth in my class of Assertive Training taught me to always use, "What I NEED from you is... and go up the ladder to the top.

I know you are tired and in pain. Now take a break from writing to us and make yourself a pain in the a__ to those who need even one vote to sway them with the public.

You are a fighter. Fight on Buddy. Love ya.
                  J-Man or just Dave in Tampa, FL
                  WX check - head lines read this moring "52 Degrees of separation in temperatures." No shirt, shoes or socks and mowing yard this AM. Love ya my friend.

Comment

Mowing BAREFOOT............

What are you trying to do, harvest your toes for dinner?

Comment

Gomer...

So you think that tennis shoes would be better. Maybe I should drag out my steel-toed boots. Nah ... I have a walk-behind self-propelled mower. If you let go of the handle it cuts off.

Only when the temp. goes below 60 do I wear shoes. Oh yeah I do wear my dress-up, going-to-church boots on Sundays. Most days you will find me bare-footed. Soles like tire-rubber. Good for 100,000 miles.

When I live up in VT. you were uncivilized if you didn't wear shoes or boots. Lots of cows up there. But here we are pretty laid back. YOU KNOW THAT !
                      Your buddy J-Man - Dave. Down where it's warm.

P.S. Saw a cartoon yesterday. It showed the Earth and the Sun. Then there was the state of FL where Mars would be. Between the Sun and Earth. Farmer's Almanac says this will be a warm Winter. Transplanted ten wine grape plants yesterday, started my beets and my cabbages. Been eating Okra and Black Eyed peas / Steamed collard greens with bacon, tomatoes and onion for two months now. Sorry you are not here to share in that.

Comment

J-man & Gomer

You two are so awesome. I also am in Winter Haven, nearby. I walk barefoot lots of time, why not? feet hurt anyways . You both welcomed me here a month or so ago and I will never forget either of you. Gomer I wish you well & hope you check in with G's here and doing, pls. Then we will know you k. J-man your incredible also giving encouragement to other when needed. Together we all can prevail on our journey with MS.
                        Sue

Comment

Yeah we are quite the duo ZEAK.

I can't do the joking alone. It is or was as the case may be - our chemistry. You should see us live together when we meet.

He hasn't been feeling well but when he does he get's back in here battling it out with me. I miss him so much in here. He made it so much fun. Without him I revert back into an RN educator.

We just appreciate him when he can get in here. Thanks for your comments and dropping by. We always love hearing from our friends.
                          Dave or J-Man in Tampa, FL

Comment

I got IN!....WoW

I am also almost snowed in here. Just think of it, literally just over an hour drive from HELL and the snow is over 6 inches deep! It's been dam cold even at the Dam Site Inn in Hell.

I am going to TRY (I am a very trying person) and get down to the haven for winter, ok near Winter Haven. Maybe we could all meet in the middle of sorts, after all Lakeland is in-between Tampa & WH.

Dave... its NOT time yet for batting practice, Spring training is over a month away, I think.

Anywho... WELCOME & glad to have your company Zeak.

Me go bare-foot, since I wear AFO braces that's not likely, plus being diabetic its not a good idea. A friend of mine, also diabetic, lost a few toes a couple years ago. Plus I do not think my hoof-doc would be too happy to hear I went bare-footed, even down in the land of STINGING-BURNING ants. MY left leg still ahh not completely healed from last summers attack of the red-outsects. (fire ants are NEVER in per my book)

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot

Comment

ON LADDERS...

Put up Christmas lights yesterday. A one hour job that took four hours. Had to ice and bandage my fingers after checking to see if the glue-gun was hot enough - it was. Drill bit broke slamming my knuckles into the roof. Tripped over extension cord. I have decided to limit my house decoration next year although all grandchildren will be here so...maybe not.

Meeting - sure. Just give me some dates. Winter storm moving into the Carolinas and GA this w/e if you were thinking then.

Didn't fall off the ladder! This time.
                              Dave/JMan

Comment

Working...
                              X