Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Someone who is in a state of confusion...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someone who is in a state of confusion...

After reading some of the posts on here, I have decided to reach out; to find support.

My name is Jennifer and I am 31 y/o.

2 years ago, I had tingling pain in my hands and feet. It would come and go at times. I didn't think much of it until I had an episode where this pain spread to my arms and legs also. I went to the PCP, who then referred me to a rheumatologist. Even though I did not have muscle or joint pain and did not have pain where she touched the "trigger points," I got diagnosed with fibromyalgia, provided a prescription of Cymbalta, and was was released from her care. No lab tests were ran. I took the Cymbalta for awhile, but felt worse than I did previously so I stopped. The feeling of pins and needles would come and go; so I didn't think much about it.

Starting this year in January, a lot of physical changes has occurred. When I have chronic pain, it is in my hands/arms/feet/legs now. It can range from tingling to burning sensations. I have had episodes of extreme fatigue/tiredness/trouble sleeping. For someone who use to be able to walk 5-10 miles 3-4 times a week, walking a 1/2 mile can be too much. When I do try to go for a walk, I have trekking poles I use now. I have reduced my work schedule to try to accommodate to what is going on.

The right side of my face will go numb at times. My vision will become blurred, having contrast issues, or seeing double at times. This can range for hours to days. Other symptoms include bowel dysfunction, sexual dysfunction, numbness in my hands and feet, involuntary muscle spasms in my arms and legs, sometimes repeating myself and forgetting things, low back pain and muscle spasms (which I never had back pain before). My cousin, who is with MS, told me to get checked out.

About a month and a half ago, I saw my PCP again. She noticed how I looked and tested my reflexes, to which I did not respond. She immediately ran blood tests and referred me to a neurologist. The neurologist referred me to an infectious disease doctor. All lab tests came back negative. They have ruled everything out.

I have had MRI's, lumbar puncture, X-rays, and have been poked and prodded it seems like all the the time. Everything so far has come back negative; even though I am experiencing the symptoms as they come and go with varying degrees of intensity. The neurologist basically told me that "it's all in my head;" it's because of my job as a counselor and that I need to talk to someone. The infectious disease doctor stated that she thinks that it is possibly MS and referred me to another neurologist, who I will see in about 2 months.

With all of this uncertainty, I guess I am trying to ask...how did you all handle this? A lot of times, I felt more like an object than a person when I went to all of the appointments. I have become depressed and anxious because I do not know what is going on. My cousin told me that her symptoms were similar to mine before she got diagnosed with MS.

If there is any advice you can give for someone in limbo, I would appreciate it.

Thank you for sharing your stories. Take care.

I'm so sorry for all that your going through. Unfortunately, I am pretty sure we have all been were you are now.

MS is so difficult to diagnose as there isn't a single one test that can tell the Dr. yep that's ms.

Personally, I was pretty fortunate I was diagnosed by accident by my back surgeon who did a c-spine mri. It took a couple months for the brain mri and blood work etc. but I did have to wait a very short time and I can remember how freaked out I was the entire time. One day I had myself convinced I was ok and the next I knew I had ms. It was a short journey for me but it seemed an eternity.

I guess all I really can say is what got me through it was to always keep in mind that in a year from now on this date and this time I will know what is wrong with my body. This seemed to help me get through a short 24 hour period when a year seemed like an eternity. Luckily for me it happened in 2 months and hopefully for you it will be soon too.

The day I was dx with ms it wasn't a shock it was more of a relief as to what was going on with me. For whatever your body is doing I hope that your able to get some answers and soon. Until then know your not alone.

Good luck
    Tira

Comment

I am seeing a counselor ... and it has been very helpful. I'm very much in limbo as well.

So sorry that you are in the same boat ...

Comment

Working...
      X