Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confused and frustrated

Hi everyone,

for the past ten days, I have been having problems. It started with tingling and aching in my legs. I felt as though I had done intensive exercise. Each day, it has progressed. My legs gradually became heavier and weaker. It seems to be better in the morning, but then worsens in the afternoon, when I feel absolutely exhausted and my legs feel like concrete.

It has now reached the point where I need assistance getting in and out of bed and initially standing. I seem to lose balance easily. The physio also said that my toes have extended and do not rest on the ground when I am walking, and that one foot is inverted inwards. I can walk if I don't lift my legs too much, so find that I am shuffling.

I had a fall the other day, because my legs just seemed to give way. I was admitted to hospital on Monday, however since then my weakness has not progressed further.

I am now experiencing tingling in my hands. I apparently have increased muscle tone in my legs. I am also suddenly experiencing muscle spasms/twitching in my legs. In addition, I have had fluctuating blurred vision and for the past month, I notice that when I bend over and extend my hand as if to reach for something, I get an electrical buzzing/temporary loss of control in the extended hand. This does not happen every time though.

I had an MRI of my brain/spine yesterday but they reported that it was normal. I am supposed to be getting a lumbar puncture tomorrow. I am worried that I have created these symptoms - one dr mentioned it might be stress induced, however I haven't been feeling anxious or unusually stressed or anything.

I guess I just wanted some advice - do these symptoms sound abnormal? Do MRIs always show something? I feel as though the doctors are going to just dismiss me, however I feel that something is really wrong. I have never felt so tired.

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

kld89: Hi an welcome to MS world! Your symptoms do not all sound abnormal, some are abnormal for MS, some are not.

2. Do MRIs always show something?

In the beginning, no they don't always. Sometimes they don't show everything in the beginning although it is uncommon for one to have many symptoms in many places and an MRI not show something in at least one place. This is why an LP is done.

If your LP is positive...your LP shows positive o-bands with negative Lyme, cancers, etc...You may be diagnosed with just a positive LP. This is uncommon, but it can happen. So we will see what happens with your LP.

If your LP is negative, you will have to wait for another exacerbation. Exacerbations happen 30 days apart in MS. If yours are happening sooner, you may have something else.

Let us know how it goes, OK?

Take care
    Lisa
    Moderation Team
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

Working...
    X