Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts

Hello all. Thank you for your time.

My doctor feels that I have MS. I had a brain mri w/contrast and there were no lesions. So I was relieved, however I am now being told that doesn't mean no MS.

I agree that the symptoms are present. I have been tested and retested ruling out the world for the last 3 years. I know you all know what I mean. So my question is, do I just go straight for the LP or do the spine scan next? I really don't understand why they didn't do the MRI on the entire body. One shot ya know?

And even if I have the test, will the affirm. I am correct in thinking I have to have a lesion, right?

It is weird that they didn't scan you for the C and T spine while they were at it with the brain, but for whatever reason, they didn't. So, should you do the cord MRI next or the LP? That is up to your doctor. If it were up to you, or me, I would go for the MRI. It is non invasive. Then do the LP. If your MRI is negative and your LP is positive but you still have evidence that you have MS, two or more relapses, then your doctor may diagnose you. If you do not develop lesions at some point in your disease process, he may question your diagnosis.

Good luck!
    Lisa
    Moderation Team
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

I would go for the least invasive procedures first, which would include the C and T spinal MRI. My radiology group won't do all 3 at the same time, 2 is the max, so it's not too strange to me that you only did one...

I would say in the end, even if the C and T MRIs are clear, your doctor will still want to proceed with the LP. It's just another part of the puzzle.

All three of my MRIs came back clear, yet, my LP showed o-bands. So it's not completely unheard of to not see the lesions on the MRIs.

My neuro, by way of explanation, said that my symptoms were the effect of something going on (lesions) in my brainstem which is more difficult to see sometimes...

And I'm in the state that Lisa described...diagnosed with Clinically Isolated Syndrome (CIS) for the symptoms I had, but undiagnosed with MS because I've only had 1 flare...

Good luck to you!

Comment

Working...
      X