New DX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New DX

Hi all! I was just told yesterday by my neurologist that he wants to start treating me for MS based on my abnormal MRI and LP. I have a few new lesions on my brain and my one of my spinal fluids was abnormal and the other was a very high normal.
    I'm supposed to be going to discuss treatment options with him soon. My question is, what should I expect? What questions do I need to ask? Right now, my main symptoms are extreme fatigue, numbness on my right side, and a "tightness" in my right abdomen. And, of course, depression, but I am already taking zoloft for that.
    Any and all advice is helpful. Thanks!

Hi Apegirl! Welcome to MS World! I am sorry about your recent diagnosis, but glad you found us here.

As far as your question goes about what to expect with your doc, he will most likely go through the different types of medications that are available for treating MS and then tell you his/her opinion about which one he/she would like for you to take. The decision, however, is up to you. You pick the medication that is best for you, with your doctors approval of course. Usually they will give you a choice of three or so.

One thing I would recommend is to go onto the National MS Society's website and read about all of the medications used to treat MS, then, come back on this site and read about the medications on our medication board. Remember people tend to post about bad things more than good things. Then, you will go in educated about what the drugs are, and how they work, as well as what the side effects are. You will also learn tricks about how people deal with the side effects. So when you see your doc you can ask questions about the drugs he/she recommends, the differences in the ones if he/she recommends more than one to choose from. Ask about the side effects. Ask if there is medication to help if you get those side effects.

When you choose a drug, ask if it has a patient assistance program for financial assistance (I think they all do), but be sure to get the ball rolling early.

Best of luck with your appointment! If you have any questions about the medications themselves ask them.

Take care
    Lisa
    Moderation Team
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

Apegirl, so sorry that you are having a hard time! It is good news, though, to be starting treatment. Medicine has come a long way for MS. Even in just the 8 years I have been treated for MS.

I started with Rebif, giving myself shots three times per week. Two weeks ago I switched to Tecfidera, which is an oral treatment, one pill each morning and night. I would have done the Tysabri, which is the once per month IV, but I tested positive for some antibodies that ruled me out as a candidate for that treatment.

So right there are three excellent options. And there are a number of other ones. Your treatment choice has to fit your particular health situation. Any one that you go with, just know that you may experience some discomfort in the beginning, but these new classes of drugs are so much better than what they had 25 or even 15 years ago.

Good luck!
      Jam
      DX'd MS 8/17/05
      God never closes a door without at least cracking open a window.

Comment

Working...
      X