Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does this sound like MS to you?

Hi,

It all started December 20, 2012 when a slight burning pain in my upper left arm woke me up. Nothing major but super annoying. I would take 2 Advil before going to sleep and all was fine. It never hurt during the day--only at night. Then May 19 after a 4mile run I had to pull over on the drive home from the gym because the pain was EXCRUTIATING. I was able to pull into a parking lot and people there wanted to call 911, but I said no. It was still only concentrated in the exact same spot and I knew it was not a heart attack or stroke. After that I was in constant pain. Never numbness or tingling, just that burning pain. It hurt every second of every minute of every day.

I got into the neurologist, who I really like and she said it was Thoracic Outlet Syndrome/Brachial Neuritis and put me n Lyrica. The Lyrica only sort of helped, so she ordered on MRI-no contrast. I went in with not a care in the world thinking I had a pinched nerve. The MRI came back with a 7mm artifact and so my doctor wants me to have one of the brain and with contrast to check for MS. Gulp. Never in a million.....she put me on a two week course of Pred. Starting at 60 mg and then tapering. It really helped, so when we next touched base she said let's do another two weeks of Pred to really zap it. I told her I was waking up in the AM with tight muscles in my neck, so she told me to take some magnesium. I take 360 mg at night and it really helps. I saw her Thursday, my last day of pred, and she calmed my nerves and convinced my to go get the MRI of the brain. She said she still thinks it is just myofacial pain.

So what is my concern? Since Saturday, the day after I finished the pred, my right foot and lower calf have been numb. Today is Monday, and it is still that way. It hasn't gotten any better, nor has it gotten any worse. Ironically, I had a trigger point massage Saturday and it completely alleviated me of all the upper arm/shoulder pain that has been haunting me since December. The magnesium gives me loose stools, and I have read that prednisone can do that due to leaching the potassium from your body. Has this ever happened to anyone AFTER finishing the prednisone? Could a pottasium supplement help? Do I have MS? Today is Labor Day and the doctor and pharmacy that I trust are all closed.

SF Treat: No one here can tell you if you have MS. Does it sound like MS? It sounds like something. MS has about 400 mimickers so it could be. You have numbness, so that is a symptom of MS, also many other diseases and conditions. Your neurologist has asked for a new MRI, so we will have to wait for the results of that to find out if it looks like MS. MS has a certain look and distribution on MRI. Your physician knows this and most likely this is why she ordered the revised MRI.

So, for now, its wait time for your neuro's office to open so you can tell her your new symptom, and then wait for your MRI results.

I wish you the best and hope the MRI is clean.

Take care and keep us updated.

Lisa
    Moderation Team
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Treat View Post
      The magnesium gives me loose stools, and I have read that prednisone can do that due to leaching the potassium from your body.
      Hello SF_Treat and welcome to MSworld.

Steroids can cause a depletion of Potassium.

It is surprising to me your prescribing Doctor did not tell you that. Your Doctor can do blood work to check your Electrolytes (magnesium, potassium, ect.) which would tell you if you are deficient.

When using steroids eating/drinking (bananas, orange juice, ect) things high in Potassium is a good rule of thumb.

Do I have MS?
      Only testing and your Neurologist can give you that answer.

Best wishes!
      Diagnosed 1984
      “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Working...
      X