Possible MS or anxiety?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible MS or anxiety?

Hi. I would like to give you a history of what I have experienced over the past year and a half (previously healthy, no medical conditions what so ever)
    April 22 2012. I went to emerg because I was experiencing dizziness and my upper arms and upper legs were tingling. Multiple tests were done including blood work, ct scan, ekg for my heart, all of which came back normal. I was sent home with a diagnoses of anxiety.

OK I could live with that. A couple weeks later, I went to emerg again because the right side of my body (from my face, to my arm, to my leg) went tingly and slightly numb. I thought I was having a stroke. This doctor referred me for an mri, to rule out ms. My family dr said in her opinion the mri was normal (there was one unremarkable spot) nothing of which would cause any of my symtoms. Again, they said stress was the probably cause.

Over the next few weeks I experienced extreme weakness in my arms, mostly my right. I also had a lot of pain and a feeling of pressure in the back of my head and neck. I had a lot of headaches. May 2012, I continued these feelings of slight numbness in my face, felt lightheaded and dizzy all the time. June I started having difficulty swallowing and shortness of breath. I even had joint pain at which I was again sent for bloodwork to test for lyme disease and other deficiencies all of which came back normal. June 14 2012, I had chest pain, difficulty swallowing, my tongue felt weird and weak. When I would try and sleep I would wake up and it felt like I forgot how to swallow and had to force myself. In July I saw a chiropractor, I got xrays which showed cervical kyphosis (reverse of natural c curvature in neck)So we thought this could be the source of all my problems.

Eventually my tingling went away, but I would still have weakness, arms, legs, mostly my right side of my body. My tongue, throat. Its been over a year since regular chiro adjustments and I still have weakness. Feb of this year I was having shortness of breath, and the right side of my body felt weak and droopy. I even thought my eye and mouth looked droopy. This continued over the next couple months. I have been very anxious about what could be wrong with me. I experienced weakness in my tongue and I find it hard to swallow. I feel like I am slurring my words even though no one has said anything to me. My hands and legs still feel weak (but I can still run, like I just ran 4 km yesterday) My hands feel weak, and sometimes hard to open. So tell me does this sound at all MS or anxiety?

Currently I am experiencing lightheadedness like a pressure in my head and I feel off balance, Also have sinus pressure, I think I have a compressed nerve because my pinky and ring fingers in both hands tingle and feel slightly numb sometimes. I can press on this nerve and feel the tingling get worse as I press on them (both arms). This has had an affect on my coordination, I feel clumsy and drop things. If anyone could help me with sifting through my symptoms I would appreciate any feedback. Thank you!

I am not a doctor. I can suggest that you get the lyme disease test again. Sometimes, it is a false reading. I suggest that you get your vitamin D level to be above 40ng/mL. The FDA suggested range is 25 to 50. Also, you should get your B-12 levels checked and 'normalized'. And you should try to develop some stress reducing exercises. There are a few of them that come from the Eastern medicine culture. Yoga, Tai Chi, etc. Good luck

Comment

It isn't characteristic of MS to present itself with symptoms all over the body at the same time. And it doesn't cause symptoms all over the body at the same time without specific evidence on an MRI that it doesn't sound like you have. MS doesn't directly cause joint pain. And MS isn't "positional" which means that symptoms don't get worse if your body parts are in a certain position and better when you do the opposite. MS tingling/pain/weakness doesn't get worse when you press on a nerve or particular place on your body and better when you stop.

When people post on MS (or other health care) message boards with nonspecific body wide complaints - and there are quite a few of them - the one thing they all have in common in anxiety. Anxiety might not be causing your symptoms but it is certainly making them worse. Anxiety makes people throw common sense out the window and fixate on the wrong things.

After a year and a half it sounds like you would benefit from seeing doctors who are more specific to the problems you are having. First, if you are having neurological symptoms you should be seeing a neurologist - in an office exam not in the ER - for a total workup. Certainly for the body wide symptoms but also for the possible compressed nerves in your arms (typical of carpal tunnel). If your chiropractor Xrays showed cervical kyphosis that could be causing problems it should be checked by a neurologist. (Your chiropractor can't do anything to undo it or treat your symptoms anyway. )And it wouldn't be the cause of ALL of your problems because it can't cause the problems that are higher up in your head. So step 1 is to have your family doctor refer you to a neurologist for a workup. It makes me wonder why in heck she hasn't done that already.

The second step - no matter what is causing your symptoms - you will benefit from getting your anxiety under control because anxiety is making everything worse. That will probably take both medication AND therapy. Medications can be helpful but they can't help you unlearn the unhealthy behaviors you've developed as a way to try to cope with the anxiety and they can't help you learn new healthier strategies for coping with stress or how to short circuit an anxiety event before it gets out of control.

I wish you all the best as you get everything figured out.

Comment

Is there any proof that anxiety could cause such widespread bodily mischief? I think hyperventilation in combination with tingling has been attributed to anxiety, but you have a pretty long list of symptoms to be written off to anxiety. No MS diagnosis would be given without objective evidence, so I sometimes wish doctors would just say that they don't know rather than putting anxiety down (without any objective evidence) as a diagnosis. Very sorry you are stuck in limbo without answers.

Comment

Originally posted by JerryD View Post
          I am not a doctor. I can suggest that you get the lyme disease test again. Sometimes, it is a false reading. I suggest that you get your vitamin D level to be above 40ng/mL. The FDA suggested range is 25 to 50. Also, you should get your B-12 levels checked and 'normalized'. And you should try to develop some stress reducing exercises. There are a few of them that come from the Eastern medicine culture. Yoga, Tai Chi, etc. Good luck
          Hello. Thank you for your reply. I will mention lyme again to my dr and I will ask for all records of my blood work to double check everything that tested for. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by MSer102 View Post
            It isn't characteristic of MS to present itself with symptoms all over the body at the same time. And it doesn't cause symptoms all over the body at the same time without specific evidence on an MRI that it doesn't sound like you have. MS doesn't directly cause joint pain. And MS isn't "positional" which means that symptoms don't get worse if your body parts are in a certain position and better when you do the opposite. MS tingling/pain/weakness doesn't get worse when you press on a nerve or particular place on your body and better when you stop.

When people post on MS (or other health care) message boards with nonspecific body wide complaints - and there are quite a few of them - the one thing they all have in common in anxiety. Anxiety might not be causing your symptoms but it is certainly making them worse. Anxiety makes people throw common sense out the window and fixate on the wrong things.

After a year and a half it sounds like you would benefit from seeing doctors who are more specific to the problems you are having. First, if you are having neurological symptoms you should be seeing a neurologist - in an office exam not in the ER - for a total workup. Certainly for the body wide symptoms but also for the possible compressed nerves in your arms (typical of carpal tunnel). If your chiropractor Xrays showed cervical kyphosis that could be causing problems it should be checked by a neurologist. (Your chiropractor can't do anything to undo it or treat your symptoms anyway. )And it wouldn't be the cause of ALL of your problems because it can't cause the problems that are higher up in your head. So step 1 is to have your family doctor refer you to a neurologist for a workup. It makes me wonder why in heck she hasn't done that already.

The second step - no matter what is causing your symptoms - you will benefit from getting your anxiety under control because anxiety is making everything worse. That will probably take both medication AND therapy. Medications can be helpful but they can't help you unlearn the unhealthy behaviors you've developed as a way to try to cope with the anxiety and they can't help you learn new healthier strategies for coping with stress or how to short circuit an anxiety event before it gets out of control.

I wish you all the best as you get everything figured out.
            Hello. Thank you so much for your reply. I'm sorry I forgot to mention in there that I did get referred to a neurologist and he said that my neurological exam was perfectly normal and he then ordered an MRI of my neck because I have a lot of neck pain (ever since this all started). I am still waiting to get back and see him about the results and this was done in June. I did however get my chiropractor to request the results and he said there were no lesions, there was a bulge in one of my discs in my neck and also I had a spasm in my neck while getting the MRI. That's all he could tell me. Said the neurologist would be able to tell me more maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by concernedcass View Post
              I forgot to mention in there that I did get referred to a neurologist and he said that my neurological exam was perfectly normal and he then ordered an MRI of my neck because I have a lot of neck pain (ever since this all started). I am still waiting to get back and see him about the results and this was done in June. I did however get my chiropractor to request the results and he said there were no lesions, there was a bulge in one of my discs in my neck and also I had a spasm in my neck while getting the MRI.
              That's better. If your neuro exam was normal and your brain and neck MRI's don't show lesions then the odds that you have MS got a lot lower. And your symptoms don't really match a new onset of MS so that lowers the odds a lot too.

2+ months is getting to be kind of a long time to follow up on your neck MRI. When are you supposed to see the neurologist again? He should explain your MRI's and follow up on the bulging neck disc and possible compressed nerves in your arms. It would be a good idea to have him go over your blood test results with you too - Lyme, vitamin B12 and vitamin D in particular. All of those are body wide things that could be causing body wide symptoms.

And I hope you do start working on your anxiety issues too. If you are already taking an anxiety medicine and are already in therapy you might need to step that up a bit. That might include a change in medicine and a change in therapists. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by MSer102 View Post
                That's better. If your neuro exam was normal and your brain and neck MRI's don't show lesions then the odds that you have MS got a lot lower. And your symptoms don't really match a new onset of MS so that lowers the odds a lot too.

2+ months is getting to be kind of a long time to follow up on your neck MRI. When are you supposed to see the neurologist again? He should explain your MRI's and follow up on the bulging neck disc and possible compressed nerves in your arms. It would be a good idea to have him go over your blood test results with you too - Lyme, vitamin B12 and vitamin D in particular. All of those are body wide things that could be causing body wide symptoms.

And I hope you do start working on your anxiety issues too. If you are already taking an anxiety medicine and are already in therapy you might need to step that up a bit. That might include a change in medicine and a change in therapists. Good luck!
                Thanks so much for you knowledge. I will definitely bring all this up at my next appt with neurologist and I will make another apt with my family dr and talk to her more about my anxiety. Thanks you so much.

Comment

Hi. So I FINALLY so my neurologist today following up in my cervical spine MRI. He said everything is perfectly normal. Also did another exam on me and said everything is normal. So here I am still stuck with these symptoms and having no answers. I will be following up with my family dr to see about my anxiety and go from there.

Comment

I'm glad that your neurology exams have come up normal and have ruled some things out, even though that still leaves you with symptoms and questions. Please do stay on top of that anxiety - I think it will benefit you in the long run. Best wishes as you and your family doctor get everything worked out.

Comment

Have you considered going to see an orthopaedic surgeon?

Comment

No I have not considered an orthopaedic surgeon. Neurologist said my scans were fine. So I don't think I need to.

I want to just believe this is not ms, but I am still having doubts because I do have that small non specific spot on my brain. Could I have ms with just this one spot? Maybe I should get another MRI?

Comment

concernedcass: Your spot was nonspecific which is not an MS spot. MS spots are specifically located, shaped, and sized. You do not have MS. I would not waste my money on a second opinion. Best bet is to talk with your PCP about anxiety.

Take care
                          Lisa
                          Moderation Team
                          Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
                          SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
                          Tysabri

Comment

Oh, I mentioned an orthopaedic surgeon because you had said you had a bulging disc.

Comment

Originally posted by 22cyclist View Post
                              concernedcass: Your spot was nonspecific which is not an MS spot. MS spots are specifically located, shaped, and sized. You do not have MS. I would not waste my money on a second opinion. Best bet is to talk with your PCP about anxiety.

Take care
                              Lisa
                              Moderation Team
                              Lisa, thank you so much! This makes me feel better. What are the possible causes of 1 nonspecific spot? It's very scary knowing that something is on my brain and they don't really know what it is..and in their opinion it's normal. Doesn't seem normal for someone my age. I'm only 28. Healthy. Well before all this started.

Comment

Working...
                              X