Newly in Limbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newly in Limbo

Hi all, I am a scared new member of limbo land.

I am 35 yr old female, was diagnosed with fibro about 6 years ago, with symptoms possibly years before that. Overall, fibro could be very rough for me at times, but manageable. I was physically active, worked full time or more, was busy.

About 9 months ago, I started what I thought was a bad fibro flare up, but it has gotten consistently worse and worse, with new symptoms that I have not had before.

I had an urgent care clinic doctor bring the thought of MS to my mind when I went in for a really bad respiratory infection around easter, and mentioned some of the other issues that I was starting to have.

At the time, I didn't pay it much mind. Months later, feeling progressively worse, I spoke about my issues with a friend, who told me he had a close family member with MS and had I seen a neurologist... Looked into lists of symptoms online and started getting nervous.

I was without insurance until about 3 months ago, went into a new internist to get a physical, and talk about what was going on, with the hope that he could start some blood tests and rule out some things that way. All the blood tests he originally drew came back "not only ok, but great" according to him at the followup. He told me to stop worrying: according to the blood tests, I definitely did not have MS, this was just a fibro flareup, and gave me some cymbalta samples.

I basically had to force him to give me a neurologist referral. Feeling very frustrated. I am not having any of the big, bold, obvious MS symptoms. But I AM having ongoing issues that are progressing, becoming debilitating, and unlike any fibro symptoms I have had in the past.

I am a completely different person than I was this time last year, in terms of how much pain and fatigue I am in, my ability to be active, etc. And a laundry list of strange little symptoms that are new, or have happened inconsistently in the past but are now frequent or stronger than ever before.

Thursday of this week, I had a scary, stress induced attack of some sort at work. My job is a very emotionally and physically demanding job, that I have been struggling to keep up with. I have had some emotional near-breakdowns due to being overworked and exhausted there recently, finally turned in my two week notice a week ago. But after talking to my boss, we decided to cut me back to part time and see if I was ok with that.

This last week, I ended up having to work MORE hours than I was prior, while already feeling at the very end of my rope. Thursday I was shaky, trembly, weak, having much leg pain and extreme fatigue. I was told I could NOT leave early, or come in late the next day to rest. I started to have a panic attack, and it induced this weird twitch/jerk reaction, started with my leg and going to my torso- an almost rocking movement. I ended up quitting, and my boyfriend came and got me and took me to an urgent care clinic.

The doctor there said she was unsure whether the jerking was from whatever is going on with me, or not, but she definitely recommended I think about stopping the cymbalta (I have) and she agreed with me that she didn't think my fibro diagnosis was correct or complete. She was thrilled I already have a neurologist's appt coming up.

I'm exhausted and worried and tend towards mild anxiety already which is not helping right now. I don't want a diagnosis of MS necessarily, but I DO want a diagnosis that I can not feel is just thrown at me for lack of better options.

I am currently at a point where I just want to rest, take it easy, work at staying positive, and try to slowly work at feeling better (yoga, etc) while I continue on the roller coaster doctor ride.

In the meantime, I just had a fight with my boyfriend who wants me to think about changing my career. I am shocked and caught off guard that he is bringing this up now, barely 24 hours after I quit a very difficult job, AND have a scary physical episode that I don't understand. I can barely think straight right now. I am exhausted, in constant pain, and discomfort, a little depressed. I haven't even been able to walk my dogs around the block in ages. How am I supposed to make important decisions about my future when I am in such flux?

Originally posted by kastelling View Post
    He told me to stop worrying: according to the blood tests, I definitely did not have MS, this was just a fibro flareup, and gave me some cymbalta samples.
    Hi kastelling! I'm sorry you've been hit with this pile of poo. It's very stressful!

With the lag-time between post submission and appearance, I'm risking cross-posting when I say:
    Unless there's been a major breakthrough very recently, there is no blood test for MS. I'll be polite and say that I think your doctor was "confused" (or there was just some miscommunication of some kind).

My primary doctor was also really happy about my blood tests a few months ago, since they showed how healthy I was! When I stopped being able to walk on my own, then started having dystonic storms, she realized maybe she was wrong.

She was thrilled I already have a neurologist's appt coming up.
    Like your urgent care doctor, I'm happy you already have an appointment with a neurologist scheduled; they can take forever to get in to see. Be sure to show up to your appointment prepared to clearly communicate what's been going on, so you can minimize your chances of getting the all-too-common run-around.

If you can have your boyfriend record you the next time you're having visible symptoms, that could really help; arrange that with him ahead of time, so he's ready. I hope you two are able to communicate well, since it's got to be a scary and stressful time for both of you. Sorry about the fight!

I am currently at a point where I just want to rest, take it easy, work at staying positive, and try to slowly work at feeling better (yoga, etc) while I continue on the roller coaster doctor ride.
    I hope you get the rest you need to feel better and stay positive. Good luck, and keep us posted!

Comment

Hello kastelling,

according to the blood tests, I definitely did not have MS,
      There is currently no blood test that will rule in/out MS. Blood work is done to rule in/out other conditions/illnesses which can cause symptoms similar to those seen in MS.

There are no symptoms unique to MS and numerous conditions/illnesses which have Neurological symptoms.

I had a scary, stress induced attack of some sort at work. Thursday I was shaky, trembly, weak, having much leg pain and extreme fatigue. I started to have a panic attack, and it induced this weird twitch/jerk reaction, started with my leg and going to my torso- an almost rocking movement.
      Stress/anxiety/panic attacks can cause body wide symptoms. This could possibly increase your symptoms of Fibromyalgia.

Information about the effects of stress/anxiety/panic on the body:
      http://changingminds.org/explanation...s_symptoms.htm

Best wishes on your up coming appointment.
      Diagnosed 1984
      “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

First of all, I am so sorry you are in so much pain and discomfort and now you had to leave your job.

I had been diagnosed and undiagnosed with Fibro. Sometimes I did fit the category. BUT I learned how to detox my liver and other systems from TOXINS that make my muscles and joints inflame. I changed my diet.

Certain foods and drinks inflame our brains and other vital sytems. I had body pain. I would be off balance etc. I saw a gentle chiropractor and a specialized nutritionist. I felt so amazingly better under their care.

I CHANGED my DIET!!

Now finally after years of being diagnosed and UNdiagnosed with MS, I have the MS type lesions (along with many other kinds of lesions). I still watch my diet and try to keep inflammation down best I can.

So for me, no more fibro. Sometimes I have no pain either. But I have had to CHANGE MY DIET, stop all soda, esp diet, STOP all sugar substitutes (sigh) and start eating organic foods.

What I am trying to prepare you for is that you may not get the answers you need (a diagnosis) right away if at all. So be prepared. I went through years of symptoms. Turns out I had 3 other disorders/diseases that would've been missed had I not been UNdiagnosed with MS at that time.

AND lastly, Snoopy is right. The more you become anxious and depressed the more your symptoms are increased or actually causes such discomfort. Many doctors know the physical consequences of mood disorders or conversion disorder. Its a balancing act to which is which.

Be prepared and know WE'll walk this journey along side of you. Just do not start to self diagnose or you'll be disappointed.

Your boyfriend sounds like he was only trying to help by offering a solution. That is what men do, they want to help by fixing things for us. You are rightly upset, I understand, but it will not always be like it is today.

Gentle Hugs,
        Jan
        I believe in miracles~!
        2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
        Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR ISSUES BUT JUST REMEMBER WE ARE HERE. I WAS DX 3 WEEKS AGO AND ITS BEEN A RIDE . MY LEFT SIDE IS MESSED UP NOW AND I HAD TO GIVE UP MY CAREER BECAUSE OF STRESS AND THE FACT THAT I COULD KILL SOMEONE ELSE OTHER THAN MYSELF. STRESS AND HIGH EMOTIONS AR NOT GOOD FOR THOSE WITH MS IT REALLY MESSES WITH US. I KNOW WITH ME IF IM STRESSED I CANT TALK MY SPEECH IS SLURRED AND I CAN'T WALK RIGHT .

I HAVE HAD 2 MRI'S IN 3 YEARS AND 2 SPINAL TAPS IN 3 YEARS.
          3 YEARS AGO I WAS FINE NOW ALL MESSED UP. IT HAPPENS QUICK. IT CAN BE SLOWED AND WE CAN STILL WORK BUT LIKE YOU I HAD A HIGH STRESS JOB AND IM GOING TO GO BACK TO WORKING SECURITY I HAVE AN INTERVIEW ON TUESDAY.
          YOU MIGHT WANT TO CHANGE CAREERS TO ACCOMMODATE YOUS ISSUES. MEDICATION IS FIN BUT IT DOESN'T ALWAYS HELP YOU HAVE TO CHANGE YOUR ENVIRONMENT.
          THERE IS A LOT TO LEARN AND WE ARE HERE IF YOU NEED US TO TALK

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts and kind words, y'all. My neurologist had a cancellation, and I was able to squeeze in today. She was very nice, didn't spend tons of time with me, but I did have several pages written out for her of my medical history and symptoms already prepared.

She told me it sounds like I have neuropathy and interstitial cystitis with my bladder. A few more blood tests and an MRI are in my new future, waiting for the labs to call to set up appts for those. Follow up with the doc in a month. Plenty of time to attempt to not stress.

Thanks for the tips about diet- while I AM currently eating potato chips I actually tend to eat very well, lots of lean meat, tons of veggies and leafy greens, salads, smoothies, fruit, etc. My boyfriend and I cook most of our meals, we love to cook! I rarely drink soda, had to cut that out several years ago when my bladder started getting irritable. I have NOT cut our gluten, though I do limit it (my boyfriend is trying to lose weight, so no pasta at our house!) My celiac marker blood test was fine.....

Comment

Well good for you that you got in right away, yay! It's a start. AND she suspects two very troublesome symptoms that can be treated, so that's good too.

Now you may not have MS, but something is going on. If it is MS, it has a way of laying low then popping up with symptoms. Keep track of any symptoms, duration and intensity.

You are on the journey..

I'll be here with you. Did you forgive your boyfriend yet?

Hugs, Jan
              I believe in miracles~!
              2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
              Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Had my first MRI yesterday, of just my brain, with contrast. My followup appt with the neuro is not for another 3 weeks, so I am hoping I will hear from them sooner!

I know it sounds awful, but I hope they find something. While I feel a bit more rested since quitting my job over a week ago, I am having more symptoms, more pain, more numbness and tingling in new places (down my face today). Severe fatigue. I appear fine to all outward appearances, and walking fine (though weak and clumsy at times), but I have to pace myself, and plan out my days and hours with lots of rest or I feel terrible. How am I supposed to go back to work??

Also, cognitive issues are getting a little more noticeable. Yesterday during the MRI, the tech asked me how much I weigh, so she could dose the contrast. I was trying to say "116" as that was my weight the day before. But I could NOT for the life me get it out. I said "160". Then I caught myself and thought "No, that's not right. I weigh 160. Wait, no...." I knew there was a "1" and a "6" in there somewhere. It took about a minute, with the tech saying "What was that sweetie??" I was finally able to say "115". I don't know that the tech even really noticed, but it was scary and frustrating for me!

Also, I always carry a small pocket knife and a chapstick in my pocket, pretty much at all times. Have for years. Yesterday, after having what I thought was these items in my pocket all day, I went for the pocket knife in the afternoon to open a package, and discovered that instead of my chapstick and pocket knife, I had my chapstick and some fingernail clippers in my pocket. What the.....??? I have no idea. Sigh.

Comment

Also, I always carry a small pocket knife and a chapstick in my pocket, pretty much at all times. Have for years. Yesterday, after having what I thought was these items in my pocket all day, I went for the pocket knife in the afternoon to open a package, and discovered that instead of my chapstick and pocket knife, I had my chapstick and some fingernail clippers in my pocket. What the.....??? I have no idea. Sigh.
                  I would be very worried about carrying chapstick and a sharp object in my pocket. I might end up with a minor stab wound to my lips.

Maybe it's good you inadvertently had fingernail clippers instead?

Comment

Working...
                  X