Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CIS/Early MS new here

Hello,

My name is Hannah and I'm a 35 year old wife, and working mom of two lovely girls.

Back in March, I noticed my vision was a little "off" I thought I was just tired, stressed and maybe imbibing a little too much caffeine. That was on a Saturday. By Monday when I was playing volleyball, I glanced over my shoulder and noticed that there two of my husbands standing there. (and I only married one!) So the double vision bothered me a little, but being a busy mom I was able to brush that off for a little while before calling my dr. The next day (Tuesday) I was working late and noticed that my cheeks were numb and I had tingling in my right thumb and forefinger. I almost went to the ER that night, but again, talked myself out of it. I had however, made an appt for the following week with my ophthalmologist. Wed the double vision was worse, and I made an appt with my PCP. He flat out told me he had no idea and to see my eye dr sooner rather than later. I called and made an appt for the next morning (Thurs).

Thursday came and at my eye dr's appt, she took one look and started writing out a Rx for an MRI. She sent me to the ER for that. I ended up being admitted. That was rough, waiting for the MRI results.

The MRI came back with a few small white spots, but nothing in the areas where they would have expected to see something. I was released and told to not drive for a week (that meant no working either) and to follow up with a neurologist.

Over that week, I was diagnosed with INO, internuclear ophtholmopligia. (sp?) Which is basically when one eye does not track all the way with the other and then the other eye beads/jumps (nystagmus). It was disconcerting, but has gotten better since then.

My first appt with the neurologist was in the beginning of April. He sent me for 3 more MRI's on a 3T machine. All came back clear--except for a slight herniated disc which accounted for the tingling in my thumb and finger. All the blood tests came back normal. And the SSER test came back clear/normal as well.

I waited for insurance to clear the spinal tap and just had that 2 weeks ago. Last Friday we got the results which showed demyelination and there were 5 complete O-bands.

I met with the dr yesterday and he wants to start me on DMT. We talked about the injectables and settled on Tecfidera. We started the approval process, but I'm not sure if it'll be approved since I'm at the CIS stage.

So I guess I'm feeling like I'm in limbo here and was happy to find this site because I can't for sure say that I have MS, but need some support because it's a really stressful time!

Hi hsmaldo,
    I am new here as well and just posted in the General forum about CIS. I was just diagnosed and my neuro wants me to start on treatment as well. I have not seen any talk here about CIS, which is why I posted my question. Anyway, I don't have much to add, but to say that I am also going through this and looking for others in the same boat. I am also a working mom to a very active toddler! It is a very exhausting and stressful time, but you are not alone...hang in there!

Comment

I'm sorry that you are going through all if this.

It's fairly common for treatment to start with a CIS episode but with the new oral drug an insurance company could balk. Hopefully not.

Did the second set of MRIs still show the few white spots the first one showed?

If you get on the DMD now you are doing pretty well. 3 months from first symptom to treatment is quick.

Hopefully the drug will work so well it will keep you from ever getting an official MS diagnosis because you'll be relapse free.

Comment

Hsmaldo, and foolintherain: I am sorry there is not much here on CIS. CIS usually happens after a person goes through a confirmed attack of ON in addition to other symptoms, or TM in addition to other symptoms. It is good you are getting on a DMD, no matter which kind so like the last OP said perhaps you will not convert to MS, or at least it will hold it off for a while.

I am sorry you both have to go through this. In a way it is better than limbo in a sense because at least you are able to be proactive about something and they can pinpoint at least one thing that is wrong with you.

I recommend you ask any questions about Tec in the medications forum on this site. People who have just started taking it within the past couple of months have lots of insight about the side effects and how to manage them.

The same goes for Avonex or any of the other injectables.

I wish you both luck and no further progression!

Lisa
        Moderation Team
        Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
        SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
        Tysabri

Comment

Kat-yes, the 2nd MRI showed a single focus of "high T2 and FLAIR signal" in the same location as the first. I'll admit I'm not exactly sure what this means though, except that it was present in both brain MRIs.

foolintherain-I'm so glad that you posted too! I was talking with my husband last night about starting the medication and the fears that come along with it. I think it boils down to the fact that after the initial attack, I feel better and am functioning well.

It's hard to take care of work, my girls (ages 3 and 5) and the house and be there for my husband at my best. So the idea of taking a medication that will slow me down with the side effects for something that I may or may not have is what I'm struggling with.

From what I've seen and the research I've done, it's better to start now and discontinue later if it doesn't seem to be progressing, but as I saw someone say, "you can't go back in time and start medication earlier."

And the idea of taking medication "forever" is pretty daunting. I am trying to change my mindset from "forever" to "for now" and start taking things as they come.

The first step is to find out if I'll be approved for the Tecfidera. I'm also going on vacation in July and won't start anything until I get back. So that gives me a little more time to research and get myself prepared.

Lisa-thank you very much for the welcome! I've been reading up on the Tecfidera posts lately and gathering some insight on the possible side effects and how others dealt with them.

Thanks again everyone

Hannah

Comment

Working...
          X