Totally confused....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Totally confused....

Last week tested negative for ANA and read on here that ANA has nothing to do with MS but checks for auto-immune diseases. Spoke to a friend of a friend with MS who said that MS IS an auto-immune disease (even quoted Dr. Oz) and I should have had a positive ANA.

She also said that I have none of the more common symptoms discussed here (visual, numbness, weakness, etc) and seemed almost angry that I've had a LP and am scheduled for Evoke Potential.

I'm seeing a highly respected neurologist who specializes in MS and I don't need my confidence shaken. Just need to hear someone tell me that I'm on the right track...where ever it leads.

Thanks for not only educating me but for all the support you give to one another!
    Patti

Oh gosh....

I'm sorry that anyone would be so dismissive of the problems you're having, and so insensitive too.

I know very little about MS compared to most of the people here; I've only been mostly lurking for a few weeks since I started my own journey of trying to figure out what heck is wrong with me. I've still no clue what my situation might be, only that I have a lot of MS-like symptoms. I do, however, have at least 2 children with AI diseases (Crohns and RF+ Juvenile Arthritis) and a third child who is potentially in AI limbo like many of us here. So while I'm far from an expert, I know enough to know you're not crazy.

A positive ANA can *sometimes* be a good indicator of AI disease, most notably lupus. My son who's in limbo is recently ANA+. That said, a negative ANA or + ANA at low titer can be anything from a red flag to absolutely nothing. Many other variables have to be considered along with ANA status, for any kind of diagnosis AI or otherwise.

From what I've read, ANA is quite insignificant in terms of MS diagnosis. I believe most MSers won't have a +ANA at disease onset, but many go on to develop + ANA. Then again, so do many, many people without MS.

Yes, MS is generally believed to be an auto-immune disease. But it's still quite different from every other AI disease out there. You ARE on the right track, because you're seeking an answer and keeping your mind open to every possibility. Your friend's friend doesn't have a monopoly on MS, but it sounds like maybe she was forgetting how very different each person's disease (MS or otherwise) can be. Keep your head up and keep pushing forward.

Comment

I'm glad your doctor is being proactive

I for one am slightly jealous lol.

I can't comment on her idea that your symptoms don't match up -- checked out your first post and and unless I've missed something, you haven't posted what's going on.

If you haven't had extensive bloodwork done already, that is normally the next step. I had an mri done before bloodwork as well -- silly -- in fact it was an ER doc who finally sent me for bloodwork. My gp didn't know much about ms or ms mimics. Perhaps that is what you friend is feeling, or perhaps she was in limbo for years which is a frustrating place to be.

My doctor has caught up now, and has been a huge advocate in the last couple of months; I've now had almost everything ruled out and am waiting for a cspine mri and an mra.

Welcome to the site! I've found so much helpful information here.

Comment

Hi Patti,

Spoke to a friend of a friend with MS who said that MS IS an auto-immune disease
        The current theory about MS is it is an auto-immune disease. However, there is no blood test that will indicate MS...at this time. There is also no blood test that is part of the diagnostic criteria for MS.

There is still a lot that is unknown about MS and the ANA blood test is not usually indicative of MS even though MS, in theory, is considered AI.

Usually a positive ANA points to something other than MS. It is possible to have more than one AI disease.
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Thanks for clarifying this for me. My symptoms started about 2 years ago after a minor car accident (coincidence?). A little stiffness between my lower rt. side of back to my knee. Played a lot of sports most of my life, had 2 knee surgeries (tennis), hip surgery (not replacement-golf) and so did the rounds of Ortho's.

Mri's showed 3 areas of stenosis. As stiffness got worse I started to lose my balance and sent to Neuro. Only thing he saw was that I'm Bi-lateral hyperreflexic.

In January took a really bad fall and broke my shoulder and tore rotator cuff. Healing well and still doing PT.

There isn't one part of my brain and spinal cord that hasn't been MRI'ed and only finding has been 2 white spots (which the neuro said were non-specific and not uncommon at my age).

Presently waiting for results of blood work and LP. Glad to hear that you all feel I'm doing what needs to be done. Again, thanks for the support!

Comment

Working...
          X