Still in limbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still in limbo

I have a question. Does everyone on this forum have or have had ON? Had my eyes checked today and my severe blurriness in R eye can be corrected w/ glasses and no ON...Mine is located at the back of my neck and my temporal lobe...not a doctor but wouldn't that NOT affect the optic nerve? I guess my question is does EVERYONE on here have ON? I have most of the other ailments and don't need that too. lol. Just hoping that something is found on the mri because my walking is pretty impaired from the numbness. Pernicous Anemia is ruled out , no stroke, no diabetes ... in limbo for now...

Originally posted by debby rae View Post
    I have a question. Does everyone on this forum have or have had ON? Had my eyes checked today and my severe blurriness in R eye can be corrected w/ glasses and no ON...Mine is located at the back of my neck and my temporal lobe...not a doctor but wouldn't that NOT affect the optic nerve? I guess my question is does EVERYONE on here have ON? I have most of the other ailments and don't need that too. lol. Just hoping that something is found on the mri because my walking is pretty impaired from the numbness. Pernicous Anemia is ruled out , no stroke, no diabetes ... in limbo for now...
    First of all, not everyone with MS has to have had ON. In general though, MS does affect the eyes in a person with MS in some way. ON cannot be corrected with glasses, so if yours is correctable that way, you don't have it.

I am not clear about your assertion that "mine is located at the back of my neck and my temporal lobe". Are you talking about lesions? If so, NO, they would not give you ON, nor would they likely effect your eyes at all.

You say you are getting an MRI now, is it a first MRI or a follow up MRI?

I have had ON several times. Starts with pain in the eye, incredible pain on movement. Then you may get a blind spot or blurry spot in your eye that does not go away. It is due to inflammation behind the eye. Physicians can tell it is ON by swinging a bright light between the two eyes. The effected eye's pupil will be very slow to, or will not react at all. Otherwise it is an ophthalmology thing that can be fixed with a change in glasses.

Good luck
    Lisa
    Moderation Team
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

No, not everyone with MS has Optic Neuritis and not every case of Optic Neuritis is MS related. I have had MS for 28 years and have never had Optic Neuritis. I also know people who have had Optic Neuritis who do not have MS.

For Optic Neuritis the lesions show up on the Optic Nerves.

Optic Neuritis cannot be corrected by glasses. If your visions is corrected by glasses you do not have Optic Neuritis.
      Diagnosed 1984
      “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Originally posted by 22cyclist View Post
        Physicians can tell it is ON by swinging a bright light between the two eyes. The effected eye's pupil will be very slow to, or will not react at all. Otherwise it is an ophthalmology thing that can be fixed with a change in glasses.
        Well that's not completely true. It isn't true that if the pupils aren't affected then otherwise the vision can be fixed with glasses. There are other problems inside the eyes that can make vision blurry that can't be fixed with glasses. A problem with the retina usually won't change the way pupils react. Anybody who has had macular edema from Gilenya can testify that glasses don't fix that. Other kinds of swelling in the retina can't be fixed by glasses either. So it isn't true that blurry vision can be fixed by glasses just because the pupils aren't affected.

Comment

Originally posted by debby rae View Post
          Had my eyes checked today and my severe blurriness in R eye can be corrected w/ glasses and no ON
          If vision can be corrected with glasses that's one of the ways eye doctors rule some things out. Sometimes neurologists jump the gun and assume that blurry vision is from ON when they don't even know if its just something like nearsightedness that can be fixed with glasses. My nearsightedness is fixed by my glasses but my ON damage isn't. What I wouldn't give to have my glasses fix that too!

Mine is located at the back of my neck and my temporal lobe... Just hoping that something is found on the mri because my walking is pretty impaired from the numbness.
          I'm a bit confused here. I'm guessing that when you said "mine is located at" your talking about lesions. But if you don't have the results of your MRI yet how do you know where your lesions are?

Mine is located at the back of my neck and my temporal lobe...not a doctor but wouldn't that NOT affect the optic nerve?
          You don't have to be a doctor to google drawings of the brain to see what's located where. The optic nerves connect your eyes to your brain. They're directly behind the eyes and they go right into the brain and stop there. The definition of optic neuritis is inflammation of the optic nerve. Nothing else in the brain touches the optic nerves so problems anywhere else can't cause inflammation in the optic nerves. So that means that lesions in your neck and temporal lobe can't cause ON.

Does everyone on this forum have or have had ON?
          I have but a lot of people haven't. It looks like half the people with MS eventually have ON but the other half never do.That's a lot of people in both groups so it isn't unusual to have ON and it isn't unusual to never have ON.

Comment

I have Holmes-Adie, which means a tonic pupil and no large motor reflexes. Never had ON though *whew* So it is possible to have a non responsive pupil and no ON
            DX Probable Benign MS 2006
            Changed to Fibromyalgia
            Seizure 2011
            Many new symptoms starting 1/2013

Comment

Working...
            X