MS Blood test gMS(R)Dx??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS Blood test gMS(R)Dx??

Dr. James Bowen - from Swedish in Seattle wrote an article on new blood tests.. this is an excerpt... what is this test? Is it $$$ -has anyone had it done? any thoughts ??

One blood test for MS is already commercially available. The so-called gMS(R)Dx test, developed by a company called Glycominds
    based in Simi Valley, California, picks up antibodies (immune system
    proteins) directed at a sugar molecule called a-glucose antigen GAGA4.
    Such antibodies are often present at high levels in MS patients. A
    positive result--that is, a high concentration of these antibodies-- can
    help solidify a diagnosis in patients with MS-like symptoms, but whose
    brain scans are not definitive. It thus can reduce the number of scans
    needed before deciding whether or not the disease is present.

This has been around for several years.

Basically the test is still in the testing process and is not widely used. A neuro needs to order the blood test from the company and send it back to be anyalized. There is also a question about how accurate this blood test is.

At this time, there is no blood test that is used to diagnose MS.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

The manufacturer of the test says that the test has not been evaluated or approved by the FDA so I'm pretty sure that insurance won't cover it. So I'm guessing it probably costs at least a couple hundred dollars out of pocket.

There aren't any proven or accepted blood tests for MS and the McDonald criteria don't include any blood tests for diagnosis. So to start with I think it might be hard to find a doctor who will even order this test.

Then I think that if a doctor makes a diagnosis of MS based on this test when the person doesn't meet the diagnostic criteria the patient won't be able to get treated anywhere else because other neuros won't agree that they have MS and won't treat for it even if the other neuro did.

I think the idea behind the test is good in that it might give some clues when an MRI and other tests are inconclusive. I think that's all the doctor who wrote the article is talking about. It sounds like the company has just enough scientific evidence to be able to make the test sellable. But until the test is proven to be accurate and reliable and the MS experts all agree on what it means the results will just be interesting information.

If you have the test done its possible that your neuro won't use it to make a diagnosis because the test isn't proven and it isn't one of the agreed on ways to diagnose MS. You might spend a lot of money for a test that your neuro isn't even going to use.

Comment

I had the test done and my ins. did cover the cost, but even if they don't, the company covers the cost. Yes, it is expensive but being told up front that we'd have no liability for the cost made it a no brainier (so to speak).
        Melissa (dx. 3/22/2011)

Comment

Neurologists diagnose on the basis of the McDonald Criteria 2010. No blood test is included in there as supportive criteria. This is the standard. Look it up. I am happy you had the test, but that is not what contributed to your diagnosis.

Lisa
          Moderation Team
          Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
          SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
          Tysabri

Comment

Lisa,

We're you suggesting that I stated this test somehow contributed to my diagnosis? Clearly I did not. I was answering the question about insurance and cost only.

I'm quite familiar with the McDonald criteria and how to research. I didn't get into a PhD nursing program by not knowing how.

If that was directed toward me, I apologize, but my senses tell me different.
            Melissa (dx. 3/22/2011)

Comment

Originally posted by mlissa67 View Post
              Lisa,

We're you suggesting that I stated this test somehow contributed to my diagnosis? Clearly I did not. I was answering the question about insurance and cost only.

I'm quite familiar with the McDonald criteria and how to research. I didn't get into a PhD nursing program by not knowing how.

If that was directed toward me, I apologize, but my senses tell me different.
              I just wanted to clarify in general. It was not directed at you, but at others who may get the idea that they could get diagnosed that way as it could be read that way even though it was about insurance. I didn't mean to insult you. I apologize if I did.

Take care
              Lisa
              Moderation Team
              Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
              SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
              Tysabri

Comment

Thank you Lisa...

OBTW, I do enjoy your posts, they are well written, thorough and fact based.

I do appreciate the apology
                Melissa (dx. 3/22/2011)

Comment

Mlissa
                  did the test give you the answer you needed?

Comment

Actually, not at all.

But my MRI showed lesions in the right locations and I had 6 O-bands. I also had a VEP which showed bilat. optic neuritis. Although the VEP is no longer part of the McDonald criteria. Between my tests and clinical presentation, and ruling out everything else possible, MS was the only diagnosis that fit and it fit with the diagnostic criteria.

The MsDx blood test was negative which I was told means nothing. The test only means something if its positive. My neuro at the time was participating by helping recruit participants who were willing to have their blood drawn; since it wasn't going to cost us anything, I agreed. I was also told regardless of the results, the McDonald criteria still had to be met as the test has not been approved as both MSer and Cyclist stated.

You could have it done, but you'd still need to meet the other criteria.

Good luck.
                    Melissa (dx. 3/22/2011)

Comment

thank you melissa for writing back. :-) that was helpful.

Comment

Working...
                      X