Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

T2 lesions on mri

Hi everyone,
    Just had an mri brain/c sp with and without contrast. I noticed white oval lesions on the t2 images. Not exactly adjacent to the corpus callosum but nearby. I'm not a mri tech, but was a ct tech for many, many years, so am familiar with brain anatomy. Just wondering what other lesions mimic ms? No hx of hypertension.
    As an fyi, had many severe symptoms back 7ish years ago with clear mri. Was told I had ms, then told no because mri was normal. I had decided to go on with my life and kinda forgot about it for a while until my mom's mri, they think she may have it, but she's refusing the lp. Had some sx over the years albeit mild.
    So went back to neurologist, she said, let's do the mri, if lesions show up, it'll seal the deal. Hoping its something else...or nothing.....but if it is...I'll deal with it.
    Thanks

Ovoid lesions are usually reserved for MS, although they could be Lyme disease. They are generally not small vessel disease or migraines. It will just depend on their exact location, and their count, and if any light up with contrast.

Your neurologist will have to read them. I am bad about reading my MRI too. You can request your MRI report and that will tell you if it is consistent with MS in the impression. If so you will know where they are headed anyway.

Good luck
    Lisa
    Moderation Team
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

Thank you Lisa, I was tested for all the mimickers many years ago and retested for some again just to be sure. I haven't even looked at the c spine yet. I see 6 lesions without even trying to look hard.

Eight years ago, I was practically begging to be diagnosed, I had so many issues and wanted answers. Now that so much time has passed and I have been relatively good I don't want the diagnosis. Ironic.
      Hoping they'll say its migraines....

Comment

Do migraines show up on an MRI?

Comment

Originally posted by Thisisme View Post
          Do migraines show up on an MRI?
          Yes, migraines can cause abnormalties (lesions) to show on a MRI.

Welcome to MSWorld, Thisisme
          Diagnosed 1984
          “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
            Yes, migraines can cause abnormalties (lesions) to show on a MRI.

Welcome to MSWorld, Thisisme
            I have wondered about this as well, since my MRI showed some "unspecific T2 foci hyperintensity" or whatever it said lol.

I rarely get migraines anymore, but there was a time, years ago, when I got them on a regular basis. No MRI was ever done. The doctors just gave me medicine for the pain.

I'm wondering if the abnormalities that were on my MRI could have been caused by my history of migraines. Would it still show up after all these years if it was caused by my migraines?

Comment

I know migraines can show up on mri, and I do have a history of them. And I'm not sure if they showed up on my last mri which was about 6,7 years ago. But at that time they said it was clear. And my face has been partially numb for the past 4 years, I don't think migraines cause that.

I think one of the things to try to differentiate migraine and other lesions with ms lesions it's "location, location, location" In looking at my mri, they "kinda" hang out around the ventricles. Supposed to get a call later today with results, we'll see what they say.

I have a quick, maybe silly question; do you typically see more lesions on the sagittal? I see more on that plane than the axial, wondering if that's the norm.

Thanks

Comment

I have almost nothing to contribute to this forum, but I may have something useful for you - I'm new to MS but migraines are another story. On the first MRI I had which is now serving as my baseline, I had TONS of spots, everywhere, which my neurologist said were caused from a long history of migraines. He said they are akin to freckles - not exactly damage, more like unique markers. They were easy for him to tell apart from plaques, in any case.

I'm refusing my LP too, I'm with your mom on this one.

Comment

I was told mine were caused by previous years of smoking. This was in 2006 when I was diagnosed with probable benign MS, later revised to Fibromyalgia. I never had an LP and haven't had an MRI since. Still having a lot of pain, fatigue, brain fog and recently started having numbness in my right second toe and sometimes feeling like I'm standing on a pebble. I'm seeing my podiatrist next week, hope he has some answers.
                  DX Probable Benign MS 2006
                  Changed to Fibromyalgia
                  Seizure 2011
                  Many new symptoms starting 1/2013

Comment

Working...
                  X